Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2021 2:19:44 PM EDT
I've been looking all over the internet for a basic sturdy three-legged portable shooting bench.  All I find are complicated collapsible packages mostly with seats integrated. Not interested in that.

This thing is exactly what I'm looking for. But, come on, $1,600? Seriously?

https://www.stukeysbenches.com/product-page/the-expert-shooter-package-1

Anything out there similar to this for a few hundred bucks? I wouldn't think it should be so complicated or expensive.

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone on another forum turned me onto this.  $99 at Midway .  That and an adjustable drum throne and I am GTG.  Gonne give it a shot.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/high-low-shooting-table.php
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Caldwell Stable Table

I have this one and it I like it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kmad2001:
Someone on another forum turned me onto this.  $99 at Midway .  That and an adjustable drum throne and I am GTG.  Gonne give it a shot.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/high-low-shooting-table.php
View Quote

I have one of these and I am very pleased.  It's light enough to pack in to remote areas if you need a rest to shoot from.  I like the adjustability of the legs as you can make it level regardless of terrain.  I have a bubble level on my adjustable bench rest to aid in leveling.  Too bad they didn't include one with the unit.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:51:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stiles1410] [#4]
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:39:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#5]
Just build one. A few 2x4s and some plywood and it will be 10x as sturdy as the plastic ones.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]

"Just build one" is a casual thing for someone that has all the tools, etc.  That may be 10x as sturdy but looks 10x as heavy as well.   Great on you that you could just whip up something like that.  Looks great and if I were building a bench to stay put somewhere that would be a good plan. I'm looking for a three legged portable affair that may be dropped on uneven surfaces or slight slopes.  Easy come easy go.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:04:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kmad2001] [#7]

Doesn't seem to be available anywhere .  Appreciate the suggestion.  Found a lot of comments/reviews.  Some love it.  Some hate it.  Lots of reports of threads being filled wi paint needing to be tapped.  Legs not adjustable and possibly sits to low for some.  No accommodation/adjustments for setting up on a slope or uneven surfaces.  Deck might be too short.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By kmad2001:

"Just build one" is a casual thing for someone that has all the tools, etc.  That may be 10x as sturdy but looks 10x as heavy as well.   Great on you that you could just whip up something like that.  Looks great and if I were building a bench to stay put somewhere that would be a good plan. I'm looking for a three legged portable affair that may be dropped on uneven surfaces or slight slopes.  Easy come easy go.
View Quote

Portable, sturdy, cheap. When it comes to shooting benches, pick two.

I'm a 35 yr old scientist with a saw and a drill. I'm certainly not a wood worker.

I wasn't trying to brag, just suggesting that it's not that difficult to throw together a shooting bench that is way sturdier and cheaper than a flimsy plastic one. Granted mine is way over built so it fits in the study/cheap category.... although it does fold up and fits in my truck bed too, so it's at least somewhat portable.

I wanted a bench that my entire rifle would fit on along with ammo boxes (for working up loads), notebook, and a labradar. There was nothing on the market that was large enough for that.

You could most certainly build a three leg bench with nothing but a circular saw and a drill. I would be glad to help design one for you in sketchup... Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Built this bench with a Harbor Freight portable sawhorse and a piece of plywood.  Not 3 legged, but about $50 in it. Folds flat and works great.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I've built a few like in the OP's link.

Cost is really inexpensive; think 5hr last one was around $150.

I use a double layer of 3/4 birch plywood with 3 legs of black iron pipe.  The pipe legs are screwed in the threaded coupling that get cut & welded to 1/4 steel plates.  The steel plates are bolted to the plywood top.

The most difficult part is getting someone to fabricate the flanges if you don't weld or cut metal...

If you're interested in paying for shipping, I could easily fab (3) extras up for you in about two weeks when I was planning to build another table for my brother.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:14:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Took the low risk plunge of a hundred bucks and the Brown Truck just dropped this off .

- This thing was ridiculously easy to get up and ready to go.
- The legs weigh in @ 10lbs and the top is 3lbs
      * Legs come with a shoulder strap and noose to arrest the legs from flapping around in transit
- The Caldwell rest in the pic has to have it's two front legs forward so not ideal if shooting with higher cap magazines.
- I emailed MTM about whatever accessory front rest they have to fit in that front slot but have not heard back. I hope it is adjustable or they have a couple different heights available.
     * I have one of those Pro Shot portable gun stand/caddys with removable front and rear plastic rests and wondered if they would fit in the front slot of the table
     *  Bam ! They fit like a glove. In fact the tapper of the Pro Shot rests match exactly to the tapper of the slot. Too perfect to be coincidence. Some sort of “standard” or same manufacturer?
     *  BUT they a too short to be useful for a gun with large mag and not enough height rock up for various elevations.
- The polymer table could be a bit stiffer. I'm a tall overweight guy so when I wrap around the stock and lean in for a nice cheek weld the rear of the table flexes a little bit but nothing that would interfere with establishing and holding a sight picture in a scope.

Obviously the surface is too small to accommodate much more than a few small tchotchkes, tools, a box of ammo, lens caps, etc. Ultimately I think this is going to serve my needs perfectly. Light, portable, stable, easy to transport. When not at the range we go shooting a few times a year on a buddy’s land. Paired up with a drum throne (a $50 item that Stukey charges $200-300 for) or folding chair and this will be better than shooting off a woodpile in the middle of a field.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top