Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2018 9:01:31 PM EDT
Local match, stage consisted of shooting row of targets while moving. Got 2 procedurals for stopping while I shot them. Didn’t even realize I did it until after my round and the RO called them out. I know the answer is ultimately more practice, but any tips are greatly appreciated for shooting on the move.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Relax your knees when you walk, almost like you are walking in a crouched position. Keep your back straight and your head static. These steps will help eliminate the bobbing effect of walking normally, making it easier to align your sights and shoot accurately.

Otherwise it is a question of tempo, some people shoot when their feet are in a certain postion. I.E. shoot everytime you step on your right foot. When I started practicing shooting on the move I would shoot on every footfall. Now I shoot whenever I have a clear sight picture, irrespective on my foot position. Over time the walking became more autonomous and as a result I was quicker on target just focusing on my aim.

TLDR: practice more
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Groucho walk.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Groucho walk.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. I will definitely give it try.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#5]
tracer rounds
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Get low, real low.  Use your legs as shock absorbers.  Practice Blake drills moving in every direction in dry and live fire.

If your front sight isn't bouncing around while moving you're doing right.  Don't forget to MOVE.  The goal is to cover distance.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Relax your knees when you walk, almost like you are walking in a crouched position. Keep your back straight and your head static. These steps will help eliminate the bobbing effect of walking normally, making it easier to align your sights and shoot accurately.

Otherwise it is a question of tempo, some people shoot when their feet are in a certain postion. I.E. shoot everytime you step on your right foot. When I started practicing shooting on the move I would shoot on every footfall. Now I shoot whenever I have a clear sight picture, irrespective on my foot position. Over time the walking became more autonomous and as a result I was quicker on target just focusing on my aim.

TLDR: practice more
View Quote
came here to post this.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Appreciate all of the feedback. Been practicing most of the week. Getting low seems to help keep me moving. I will find out here in a few days if anything sunk in.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Local match, stage consisted of shooting row of targets while moving. Got 2 procedurals for stopping while I shot them. Didn't even realize I did it until after my round and the RO called them out. I know the answer is ultimately more practice, but any tips are greatly appreciated for shooting on the move.
View Quote
What kind of match?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Indoor range. They have a Monday night competition. Cross between an IDPA and USPSA stage. Usually around 20 shooters. Nothing real serious. Good time though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
10-4. Walk heel, toe, heel, toe. Good skill to have, but a true Idpa or uspsa match cannot penalize you for not moving. This video is good

https://youtu.be/ksNyLLDcFZU
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Heel-toe walk, use your knees to absorb the bounce and keep you steady.  Shoot when you have a clear sight picture - don't try to time.  It will only slow you down.

If you have a shot timer, set two cones up five to eight yards apart.  Put some USPSA or steel targets out there, 5-15 yards distance.  Practice putting controlled pairs on each target while getting from one cone to the other.  Use the par time function on your timer to help build your speed - if the par time goes off before you've reached the second cone, count that as a failed run.  Hold yourself accountable for accuracy - put some sort of penalty in there for misses or rounds dropped out of the A zone.  Keep running it over and over again, pushing yourself for the best score based off accuracy and making it to the cone within the par time.  Keep dropping the par time until your accuracy becomes unacceptable.  Give yourself a little more time towards the end and shrink the targets down in size (or push them back further) to end on an accuracy note.

That will get you moving steadily and shooting faster on the move.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#13]
All of the advice is greatly appreciated. Going to be working on all of the techniques this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All of the advice is greatly appreciated. Going to be working on all of the techniques this weekend.
View Quote
Don't wait.  Dry fire practice it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top