Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2021 7:55:16 AM EDT
Hi,

I am looking for rear sight apertures for an AR15 smaller than the standard A2 peep sight. I am shooting in a french service rifle competition and I want to gain a bit of depth of field by going to a smaller aperture.

I know some companies sell national match rear sights (with tunnel and 1/4 moa adjustment) but this would force me to change category in competition.

I saw that DPMS produced standard A2 flip rear sight apertures with smaller peep sights, but they are discontinued.

Do you know anyone who sells a similar product or inserts that can be installed in a standard AR15 carry handle rear sight?
The idea is to keep the original configuration (ghost ring, peep sights, no tunnel) but with a reduced size peep sight.

I'll be grateful for any tip :)

Best regards
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Even Armalite seems to have discontinued theirs. I think boring the aperture and pressing a bushing in may work.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Epoxy up the hole and drill to your size.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your input.

Machining an insert doesn't seem all to easy.
I think I'll try the epoxy way. Just ordered a new standard A2 aperture to fill up and drill out.

Let's see how this will go :)
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 3:18:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cliffhanger] [#4]
From what I am reading, this is what you seek. I would suggest the .043 or .046 apertures.

https://compasslake.com/product/cle-national-match-a2-rear-sight-base-complete/

If you are looking at something different, please instruct.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 4:00:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#5]
Rock River Arms.  Buy this kit now, it may be a collectors item soon.

I bought one just over a year ago.  I learned a special tool is needed to install it in an A2 type receiver.  You can make this tool by modifying a cheap philips screwdriver with a narrow cut off/grinding wheel or Dremel. Brownells even has a video of the process if you search enough for it.

Buy the whole assembly, don't use the standard sight.

A2 Master Race!

Link Posted: 11/4/2021 3:19:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cliffhanger:
From what I am reading, this is what you seek. I would suggest the .043 or .046 apertures.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cliffhanger:

Originally Posted By wildearp:
Rock River Arms.  Buy this kit now, it may be a collectors item soon.

I bought one just over a year ago.  I learned a special tool is needed to install it in an A2 type receiver.  You can make this tool by modifying a cheap philips screwdriver with a narrow cut off/grinding wheel or Dremel. Brownells even has a video of the process if you search enough for it.

Buy the whole assembly, don't use the standard sight.

A2 Master Race!

https://i.imgur.com/JnKPp9U.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YUb5ajl.jpg
"I know some companies sell national match rear sights (with tunnel and 1/4 moa adjustment) but this would force me to change category in competition."
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I finally got around to doing the modification.
Put a drop of clear epoxy in the aperture, drilled it out to 1.0mm, sanded the hollow shape back into the aperture and painted it black.
Just installed it, haven't tested it yet on the range.

Link Posted: 11/29/2021 6:56:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#8]
Looks good. Try it on a dark overcast day - you might want to open up to 1.2mm.

Link Posted: 11/29/2021 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for correctly adding the photos, I still don't have the hang of it ;)

Lucky me, dark overcast days will be plentiful the next few months!
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Just go to Compass Lake and buy a rear sight with removable apertures.  Screw in what ever size you want in about 15 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#11]
@hias_1986

Have you tried it yet?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:03:55 AM EDT
[#12]
RRA sells a standard A2 rear aperture with the apertures at .030" and .040" diameters.
Jon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top