Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2020 10:15:53 AM EDT
I started shooting IPSC, IDPA, pins, bullseye a L-O-N-G time ago when single stack 1911 patterned pistols were just about the only thing on the line. I have long since stopped gun games but now I'm going to start again.

The problem isn't firearms I have two usable selections, or mags I have a thing about having more than I can use at the range... it's more about selecting the gear to match the pistols.

So, focusing primarily on IPSC I have a Beretta 92X performance, and a Witness "match" (not xtreme) (both 17 round and I can up the Witness capacity to the base pads) What I'd like is recommendations on a holster that can accommodate both pistols? I'm not a fashionista so matching mag holders are not necessary, but I do need some, maybe 4 that are functional with wide mags.

TIA,

Gary
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#1]
kydex custom molded, get two holsters.

Blade-Tech and Comp-Tech two manuf to look at.

I used Blade tech Stingrays and Ice models, IIRC both are disco or renamed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#2]
You won't find a holster worth a shit that will fit both.  Pick one gun to compete with and buy a holster for it.

Ghost makes universal double stack mag holders.  Not fancy but they're comparatively inexpensive and they work.

You going to shoot Production or Limited?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I started shooting IPSC, IDPA, pins, bullseye a L-O-N-G time ago when single stack 1911 patterned pistols were just about the only thing on the line. I have long since stopped gun games but now I'm going to start again.

The problem isn't firearms I have two usable selections, or mags I have a thing about having more than I can use at the range... it's more about selecting the gear to match the pistols.

So, focusing primarily on IPSC I have a Beretta 92X performance, and a Witness "match" (not xtreme) (both 17 round and I can up the Witness capacity to the base pads) What I'd like is recommendations on a holster that can accommodate both pistols? I'm not a fashionista so matching mag holders are not necessary, but I do need some, maybe 4 that are functional with wide mags.

TIA,

Gary
View Quote
Go to BSPS and get yourself a boss rig.  5x ghost mag pouches and holster on a boss drop with a 2 piece competition belt.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You won't find a holster worth a shit that will fit both.  Pick one gun to compete with and buy a holster for it.

Ghost makes universal double stack mag holders.  Not fancy but they're comparatively inexpensive and they work.

You going to shoot Production or Limited?
View Quote
Production, 9mm.

Maybe I should re-phrase my one holster comment. I really should have said TWO holsters that were nearly identical and wouldn't cause draw errors, and I'm not a fan of Kydex. Since my Beretta is new I'll likely shoot both it and the Tanfo till I find one that works best for me. I'd like to not get heavily invested in any one holster for the time being.

Anyway, I looked at the Hogue 00500 powerspeed: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Y8kAAOSwQ5pcLiVs/s-l500.jpg

That's probably OK for USPSA/IPSC but I have nothing suitable for IDPA with any of my 9's.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#5]
You won't want to shoot IDPA anyway if you shoot a USPSA  match first.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You won't want to shoot IDPA anyway if you shoot a USPSA  match first.
View Quote
I wouldn't say that. I've shot it a lot, granted not with a racer but I did shoot it a whole bunch.

I was one of the 10 founding members of the South Florida Pistol League (or whatever it's called nowadays) and back then 10 USPSA card carrying members were needed to become a new sanctioned club / organization. I stopped when our local chapter stopped giving cash prizes and started giving out plaque trophies... 1988/89... a long time ago.

I guess the "P" in IPSC meant more then and maybe IDPA (which I have shot a lot) was born of the want to put "P" back in? A start with USPSA may be fun after all these years.

Oh, I also shot WSSA (World Speed Shooting Association before it was the steel challenge) and maybe I'll do that again too if I can find anyone doing it :-)
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Production, 9mm.

Maybe I should re-phrase my one holster comment. I really should have said TWO holsters that were nearly identical and wouldn't cause draw errors, and I'm not a fan of Kydex. Since my Beretta is new I'll likely shoot both it and the Tanfo till I find one that works best for me. I'd like to not get heavily invested in any one holster for the time being.

Anyway, I looked at the Hogue 00500 powerspeed: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Y8kAAOSwQ5pcLiVs/s-l500.jpg

That's probably OK for USPSA/IPSC but I have nothing suitable for IDPA with any of my 9's.
View Quote
that holster will not be production legal. Rule of thumb most holsters that are single stack and production legal will be IDPA legal.

that holster will put you in ltd minor. Which if I wanted to shoot 9 mm to capacity, is where I would start. Esp if you rusty less rules less mag changes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#8]
You have 2 USPSA Production guns and/or 2 IDPA SSP guns. A Blade Tech or Comp Tac holster for each is the way to go. That would work for both groups.

For mag holders, as long as they are not "bullets out" they will likely work for both as well. I frequently use Black Hawk mag holders in both and an mot at a disadvantage in SS or ESP/CDP.

Regarding kydex... you want leather? Leather is slower by far. Leather is also going to scratch up a finish and wear off bluing. Unless you really dont care about speed, kydex is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Production, 9mm.
View Quote
I believe the Witness Match is single action. No SAO allowed in production.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Safariland GLS may fit both.

Witness match should be DA.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out Red Hill Tactical, they make nice holsters and pouches for competition.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I was very active in competition shooting, starting around 1984 in IPSC, and of course shot a 1911.
Our club also shot Basic, which was automatic, i.e., a 1911, and each match rotated each month shooting shotgun, rifle and revolver as the second gun.
It was a blast, I loved it.

After my 4th back surgery I quit in 2007 due to the muscle and nerve loss in my left leg, but lately decided to dip my toe in the water by shooting Glock GSSF matches.  I still shoot in high A Class in GSSF, sooo I'm about to get back into USPSA, formally know as IPSC.

Boy have the rules changed. I suggest you down load the USPSA rules and ponder them, they are very different, to say the least.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#13]
If it were me I'd shoot Limited with minor power factor, you'd have more fun. Just be more accurate. As far as holsters, I'd probably just get something boring and reliable like Blade-tech, if you're just getting back into it I don't see the need to drop too much coin. They work, and they're tough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top