Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2018 2:27:27 AM EDT
I'm seriously considering slapping an RMR on my pistol and want to compete with it to see what the fuss is all about. Well, I guess serious enough that I just snagged one off the EE.

However, I'm not sure what comp type/class I need to be looking at. I'm 99.87% sure IDPA is a no-go, but it's been years since I've shot with them. Is Open in USPSA my only choice? I'm in DFW if that makes any difference.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:54:28 AM EDT
[#1]
If anyone near you shoots IPSC, you can shoot Production Optics, depending on gun.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:50:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Ah, forgot about IPSC.

I see now that USPSA has a Carry Optics division loosely based on Production. Looks like I'll need to buy a new gun rather than jacking up my CCO.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Carry Optics has been getting bigger around here.

I’m actually going to grab a Vortex Venom for one of my Glock 17’s to see how it is.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#4]
USPSA Carry Optics. Rules are pretty loose. Post a photo of the gun and we can comment. Otherwise, USPSA Open is fine.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
USPSA Carry Optics. Rules are pretty loose. Post a photo of the gun and we can comment. Otherwise, USPSA Open is fine.
View Quote
I was going to mill a new slide for my Colt Gunsite CCO. But it looks like I'll be getting an S&W M&P9L C.O.R.E. instead. Seems like a path of least resistance and cost differential won't be much different. Although I'll need to get a new holster & mag pouch.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm seriously considering slapping an RMR on my pistol and want to compete with it to see what the fuss is all about. Well, I guess serious enough that I just snagged one off the EE.

However, I'm not sure what comp type/class I need to be looking at. I'm 99.87% sure IDPA is a no-go, but it's been years since I've shot with them. Is Open in USPSA my only choice? I'm in DFW if that makes any difference.
View Quote
@bigsapper

If you want to shoot USPSA with an RMR/optics, you would be in limited.

Also, there are a TON of USPSA shooters in the DFW area, I am one of them.

There are matches every weekend. As a matter of fact we are having an outlaw match Sunday @ 1pm at Proactive Defense.
Wed night match at Elm Fork Shooting
Sat steel match at 160
ETTS
Tipple C
Mission 160
Dallas Pistol Club has all sorts of matches.

IM me and we can see about getting you going.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#7]
RMR isn't Limited, Limited is iron sights
IMO Carry options is damn near open
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
RMR isn't Limited, Limited is iron sights
IMO Carry options is damn near open
View Quote
Yep Limited is:

No red dot sights
No compensators
140mm mag max

Carry Optics has gotten really loose compared to when it started.  It was "Production with a red dot" now it's "Limited Light".
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep Limited is:

No red dot sights
No compensators
140mm mag max

Carry Optics has gotten really loose compared to when it started.  It was "Production with a red dot" now it's "Limited Light".
View Quote
I think its closer to open minor, but whatever, I like Limited
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#10]
OP wants to shoot carry ops....I.e. welfare open.

Minor only
140mm mags
Slide mounted optic.
Drop holster allowed, holster and mag pouches have to be behind the hips...pretty much the same rig rules as production.
There is a weight limit on the gun so bear that in mind.

Once an optic goes on the gun you are in carry ops or open only. Optics ARE NOT legal in any other division....well except pcc but those are rifles.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think its closer to open minor, but whatever, I like Limited
View Quote
Agreed.  Limited is the Chosen Division.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Bought a Walther. The club nearest me is IDPA and they do have a carry optics division, so that's what I'll be shooting, for now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Sorry all, Carry Optics is correct. Had a brain fart and typed Limited. , when I was thinking CO.

Open would require a compensator.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Open is where it is at

Honestly, I shot Production all last year with a few Limited thrown in.
I know when I got into the game, I wanted to go Open. The guns are just too freakin' cool.

But, I wanted to learn all I could and choosing the hardest division to be in was what I needed. I just moved to Open, but have yet to shoot a sanctioned match.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Open is where it is at

I know when I got into the game, I wanted to go Open. The guns are just too freakin' cool.

But, I wanted to learn all I could and choosing the hardest division to be in was what I needed. I just moved to Open, but have yet to shoot a sanctioned match.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Open is where it is at

My eyes are ready for Open but my wallet isn't.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
That Walther will be fine in CO. Its a great pistol.

What ammo are you running?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not the OP just one of the guys who hijacked his thread.  Sorry OP.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll be trying ...
AE 115gr FMJ
Winchester (Train) 147gr FMJ
AE Syntech 115gr TSJ & 150gr TSJ

(Need to run down some 124gr to try, too.)
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Try some 150gr subs from S&B.

Since you are in the DFW area, as am I, we have a TON of USPSA matches.

Tonight at Elm Fork we are having an outlaw match.
every weekend there are matches, some sanctioned, some not. But always somewhere to shoot.

There is also North Texas Lead  Farmers. We have a match a month, and a practice/training day once a month.
our local Master will tech you what you need to know.

He took me under his wing a bit over a year and a half ago. I am now beating a lot of the guys that whopped my butt when I started.

IM me if you want in on the super secret FB page.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm up to may elbows in various projects (work & personal) right now and have little extra time. Hell, I bought the Walther a month ago and haven't shot it yet.

I've not shot a USPSA match, but was active with Collin County IDPA back in the day before they shut down the ranges in McKinney north of the airport & Little Elm (both on 380).

I've been to a couple of classes by B.Enos but it's been a while; 15 years? Ouch.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll pick up some S&B too. Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'll be trying ...
AE 115gr FMJ
Winchester (Train) 147gr FMJ
AE Syntech 115gr TSJ & 150gr TSJ

(Need to run down some 124gr to try, too.)
View Quote
Well I shot a box of all of the above plus a 124gr FMJ. I definitely like the heavier weight rounds, but the Winchester Train is *expensive*. Not finding anymore of the 150gr Syntech; it's all backordered.

My dry fire practicing certainly helped as I didn't have much problem picking up the dot under slow fire conditions. Biggest problem was keeping both eyes open. Red dots are a simple enough adjustment (for me, anyway) on a rifle, but a bit of a different dynamic on the pistol.

Looking forward to shooting some matches with this setup.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Well I shot a box of all of the above plus a 124gr FMJ. I definitely like the heavier weight rounds, but the Winchester Train is *expensive*. Not finding anymore of the 150gr Syntech; it's all backordered.

My dry fire practicing certainly helped as I didn't have much problem picking up the dot under slow fire conditions. Biggest problem was keeping both eyes open. Red dots are a simple enough adjustment (for me, anyway) on a rifle, but a bit of a different dynamic on the pistol.

Looking forward to shooting some matches with this setup.
View Quote
You will love it.  I switched from open to carry optics and don't miss it.  Opens a blast but the need to always have a backup gun is a pain.

Just keep dry firing with both eyes and after a week you will have it.  Make sure to push the speed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top