Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2015 10:12:41 PM EDT
Hello all, for those of you who are located in the Northeast, possibly more specifically the Tri-state area, how did you begin training and practicing the skills needed for this type of action shooting? I have been regularly attending my gun club for years here in New Jersey, primarily bench shooting with my AR (25-300 yards), but I find myself losing interest no and then due to the lack of "excitement". I know at least at my range, I cannot think of a way to incorporate any movement or even multiple target shots, especially at varying distances. Are there places that I can travel to practice? Thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:58:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnsMyName] [#1]
Look for matches and show up and shoot. I find a dozen throughout the season all over CT. As for practice, it depends on your range rules, but there are ways to train without actual movement (although they are less beneficial). Shotgun reloading is probably the biggest and pistol accuracy the next after that. Do you have people to train with? A shot timer? You need to be creative coming up with drills that will focus on target transition and reloading, there's a lot you can do on one target stand with pistol and an entire shooting lane with rifle.

Link Posted: 4/21/2019 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Find USPSA pistol matches, start with that for at least a handful of matches.    For several reasons.
You will learn how a match operates, how a squad of shooters flows through the stages, resetting ect... this is simpler for you with one gun to manage.
You will learn the safety rules that translate to multigun
You will (hopefully) become at least a little more proficient in pistol shooting.  Many entry level multi-gun shooters suck at pistol shooting, and they never improve because they tend to focus on shotgun and rifle and take the pistol for granted.   I would go as far as to recommend shooting a full season of USPSA only, 1-2+ matches a month, and practice with your primary pistol frequently, become a solid pistol competitor before diving into multigun.  This way the pistol portion of a multigun stage/match will be a piece of cake
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top