Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2019 12:41:00 PM EDT
I am going to be picking up a gently used M&P9 2.0 5" in FDE (because S&W not releasing that model in Black from the get go is full ) from a friend for a song and I am looking to break into IDPA/USPSA with it. I know the G34 is pretty much the workhorse of entry level guns, but I am pretty heavily invested in the M&Ps as I carry them on and off duty and I'm getting this much cheaper than a G34.

Anybody here run one past or present have any insights to share? Pros/Cons? Likes or dislikes? Anything I need to be aware of to make it a good competition gun?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I run several M&Ps in 3-Gun, USPSA and IDPA because - like you - I am immersed in the M&P ecosystem. Ergonomics are fantastic, and I have found them to be boringly reliable. Accuracy of the 1.0 was not good, so those I use in matches are fitted with Apex barrels. However, the 2.0 fixed that problem and accuracy of your pistol should be acceptable for action shooting competition.

The biggest deficiency is in the trigger. The 2.0 has an improved stock trigger, but an Apex aftermarket will still be a significant improvement. The FSS is best for competition, but will be very different from your duty/carry gun. If you want the trigger to feel like your duty/carry gun but improved, go with the DCAEK as the pull is appreciably smoother.

The stock sights are OK, but I prefer a black rear with a fiber optic front sight.

Lastly, if you have small hands you could look at adding an extended mag release to ease reloads. A magazine well is also an option.

You don't indicate which competition format you will shoot. The rules of each discipline and equipment division will determine what upgrades you can make while remaining rules-compliant. I'd suggest just shooting it stock for now and upgrade as your experience dictates.

Lastly, get yourself a good secure holster, a couple of mag pouches and a sturdy belt. Your duty rig will be OK to start, but to be competitive you will want to dispense with the retention features your issue holster likely has. There are lots of great Kydex competition holsters out there - I use BladeTech for USPSA/IDPA and Safariland for 3-Gun (GLS or ALS retention holsters).

Good luck, be safe and have fun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I would Apex it.
I would get a set of Dawson F.0.
I would get a better barrel.

at that rate, you might as well get a CZ SP-01

Truth is, if you are new to the game, just run it as is. Once you learn how bad you suck and get better, you'll buy a different gun, or dump a ton of money into the M&P.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You don't indicate which competition format you will shoot. The rules of each discipline and equipment division will determine what upgrades you can make while remaining rules-compliant. I'd suggest just shooting it stock for now and upgrade as your experience dictates.
View Quote
Thanks for your detailed response and advice. I should've specified, that I plan to begin with Stock Service Pistol/Production divisions. I figure A) I'll be a beginner and B) it's the most economical way into the sport for me.

Some Dawson Fiber optic sights will be my first upgrade.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a fine option for games.

Sights, a competition belt setup with appropriate holster and mag pouches and you'll be ready to race.

Don't throw a lot of money at the gun until you have some time and experience in the sport.
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The 2.0's have a lot better trigger than the 1.0's so an Apex is a lot further down your list. Just get a set of Dawson sights and shoot it in a production class.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The 2.0's have a lot better trigger than the 1.0's so an Apex is a lot further down your list. Just get a set of Dawson sights and shoot it in a production class.
View Quote
I would look into what S&W calls accuracy of their barrels. I have shot enough of them to realize that hitting an 8" plate at 25 yards is a crap shoot.

I take one of my CZs or my Tanfo, stacked rounds, one raggedy hole.

M&P, looks like I hit it with a 12 gauge, with half the pellets missing.

No, I am not kidding.

It too me all of about 3 months to learn this when I got into USPSA. Could not figure out why I was missing shots on a plate rack. Borrowed a Shadow 1......not a single miss.

Just sayin'
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Was your experience with the 1.0 or 2.0? I've had good accuracy with my 2.0s...
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was your experience with the 1.0 or 2.0? I've had good accuracy with my 2.0s...
View Quote
I owned a 1.0 and have shot a few 2.0......marginal difference.

BUT, like I said, you will end up ditching it, so run it until then
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would look into what S&W calls accuracy of their barrels. I have shot enough of them to realize that hitting an 8" plate at 25 yards is a crap shoot.

No, I am not kidding.

It too me all of about 3 months to learn this when I got into USPSA. Could not figure out why I was missing shots on a plate rack. Borrowed a Shadow 1......not a single miss.

Just sayin'
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I am not kidding.

Just sayin'
My 1.0 with the Apex comp trigger in it shoots a lot tighter groups than my stock 2.0 (both are 5" 9mm ). Both I can run a plate rack no problem, they require a bit more attention to your trigger press though then my 2011's .
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I game with an M&P 1.0.  Accuracy is fine for me so far.  I carry a 2.0c and would definitely APEX it for games, but am leaving stock for my defensive use.  Trigger on the 2.0 has improved but the APEX is ultimate for the M&P.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#11]
My son shoots a 2.0 competitively and it works fine.  A long day of shooting will chew up your hands through.  The grip is aggressive to say the least.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a M&P 9 Pro. The stock trigger was pretty good, it was not appreciably helped by Apex parts. Accuracy was decent. Function perfect.
The fiber optic front sight is terrific, find out what size fiber rod your gun uses and buy a small supply of extra.
I use a Comp-Tac International holster, Comp-Tac double mag pouch and Wilderness Tactical belt.
I have seen shooters enjoy IDPA without a lot of dedicated equipment, I recommend not modifying the gun or buying too much equipment until you have shot a couple matches.
After you decide if that's for you, go for it!
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#13]

I had a Glock 34 which I didn't shoot all that well. Its really based on what feels good in your hand.

I tried my shooting buddy's S&W CORE which was a much better fit for me and I shot better.

I think the S&W is plenty accurate for a beginner.

Link Posted: 8/5/2020 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my 4.25" MP2.0 in 9mm.  The grip will tear up your hand, so I wear gloves.  I did put a curved Apex trigger in three weeks ago and it does help in shooting faster.  Several guys in my club shoot the MP2.0 in 9mm too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

I have that handgun. I use it for USPSA stuff.  I have a Comp-Tac holster, cheap magazine carrier and do ok.

The gun itself has a flat Apex trigger (the forward set kit) and Dawson fiber optic sights.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Bump, apologies.

Have a few M&P's, but they all have Apex triggers.  Are there divisions that aren't filled with race guns that I can use aftermarket triggers in?
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Limited and Production for USPSA.

I dont know about IDPA as I am not into that stuff

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#18]
In IDPA externally visible trigger modifications are not legal for SSP. Other divisions you should be good. https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/IDPA-Rulebook-2017.pdf  Division requirements start around page 27.

In SSP you can clean up or replace the internals pretty much all you want as long as you make weight and stay safe. With the M&P platform just cleaning up the sear should give you some improvement.

I started competition shooting in IDPA, SSP with a stock 1.0 M&P 40 because that is what I had at the time. I've shot CDP with a 1911 Gold Cup. I have shot CCP with a Glock 19. I have shot BUG with a 1.0 Shield. I have learned it's Indian not the arrow.

I had planned on shooting a new PPQ SF this past season. Then 2020 happened. I went back to that same stock 1.0 M&P 40 that I started with. I had more 40 S&W fodder than 9mm. I shot a number of club Steel Challenge matches with it. I placed solidly in the 2nd quartile for all of them. Could I have done better with the PPQ or an Apex kit in the M&P? Probably. Did I have fun without braking my budget? Yes.

I did learn that after umpteen gazillion rounds you should probably clean the striker assembly. I had a problem with light primer strikes that was corrected once the striker was cleaned.

Don't over think it. As long as you are safe, and the gun is in good working order, most club matches really don't care what you are shooting unless your at a higher level. Shoot more matches and see what others are doing. Be safe have fun.

//edited for grammar
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I have shot a 1.0 5" Pro for years off and on in USPSA and IDPA with an Apex sear and springs. Recently I bought a core slide for it and now shoot it in CO. It is 5 shots in 1" at 15 yards accurate. That is plenty accurate for USPSA, IDPA, and/or Steel. I have seen many people qualify Expert with an M&P in IDPA. I have seen some A and many B shooters run one in USPSA.

I admit I do score a little better with a steel 1911 but it is because the trigger and extra weight are more forgiving when I employ poor grip or trigger control.

There is nothing wrong with an M&P for weekend gun games.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top