Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2019 1:40:16 PM EDT
I'm currently running a G34 production division. Recently I took a JJ Racaza's pistol class and I've realized that the movement dynamics completely changes when reloading isn't necessary at every move.
Long story short, with reloading at every exit, you are stuck with drop step launch.

Anyway, I recently got an offer I couldn't refuse on a new G34 Gen5. So I ended up picking it up.

I really want to work this gun to go limited major but I know Limited division doesn't recognize 9mm major as a major ammo (what an irony)
(And I feel like limited minor is just punching myself in the ball)
So I wanted to ask, is there any work around to make this possible? G35 has a conversion barrel for 9mm so wouldn't there be one for G34?
Am I just going to have to find someone to trade for their G35..
Or do I just hopefully wait for USPSA to update their rule book to allow 9mm major?

Also, I don't see a clarification on the frame weight.
For limited and production, is a flashlight rendered as a frame weight legal?
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm currently running a G34 production division. Recently I took a JJ Racaza's pistol class and I've realized that the movement dynamics completely changes when reloading isn't necessary at every move.
Long story short, with reloading at every exit, you are stuck with drop step launch.

Anyway, I recently got an offer I couldn't refuse on a new G34 Gen5. So I ended up picking it up.

I really want to work this gun to go limited major but I know Limited division doesn't recognize 9mm major as a major ammo (what an irony)
So I wanted to ask, is there any work around to make this possible? G35 has a conversion barrel for 9mm so wouldn't there be one for G34?
Or do I just hopefully wait for USPSA to update their rule book to allow 9mm major?

View Quote
1. You are most definitely not stuck with a drop step launch, but ok.
2. 9mm major meets powerfactor but not diameter requirements for limited.
2a. You can shoot limited minor if you want. Just shoot more A's.
3. You can convert from 40sw to 9mm because 9mm is a smaller diameter.
3a.  You cannot convert 9mm to 40sw because 40sw is a larger diameter.
4. You can use a g35 slide on your frame.
5. 9mm major is never going to happen in Limited.
6. If by "rendered as a frame weight" you mean "no longer a flashlight" then yes, it becomes a frame weight.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Just bite the bullet and go 2011.

I have G19,17,20,21 and can’t imagine trying to compete with any of them.

I shoot an STI Edge in Limited.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't know where you got these ideas, I'm fairly certain not from JJ himself.  When he shoots production, his movement technique is not fundamentally different than when he shoots open.

I don't know how to respond to the drop step thing, other than to say it's just wrong.  Almost always you're reloading while moving between positions.

As far as the gun stuff, 9 major in limited isn't going to happen.  If you're dead set on limited major, you need to buy a division appropriate gun.  But I would really examine your motivations and misconceptions first before trying to switch divisions.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
As stated above best bet would be to get a G35 slide.

Unless your recoil management is top notch, going from 130 PF to 170 PF with a 23 oz. Glock can be disheartening.  Your drill times will take a hit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As stated above best bet would be to get a G35 slide.

Unless your recoil management is top notch, going from 130 PF to 170 PF with a 23 oz. Glock can be disheartening.  Your drill times will take a hit.
View Quote
I've realized this seems to be the most economical and realistic solution.
If USPSA rule book was updated to allow 9mm major, I wouldn't be having this problem

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#6]
major and minor don't matter as long as you shoot all A's.  if not it hurts .  don't dump money into a Glock unless you wish to train on it with lots of ammo. Go 2011 . there have been a lot of good ones out there recently for under $2k.  by the time you slap all the good parts on a Glock you would be 3/4 way to 2011
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
major and minor don't matter as long as you shoot all A's.  if not it hurts .  don't dump money into a Glock unless you wish to train on it with lots of ammo. Go 2011 . there have been a lot of good ones out there recently for under $2k.  by the time you slap all the good parts on a Glock you would be 3/4 way to 2011
View Quote
And after adding all those go fast parts you now have an unreliable POS.  I may be speaking from personal experience.

C's don't hurt that much shooting major.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And after adding all those go fast parts you now have an unreliable POS.  I may be speaking from personal experience.

C's don't hurt that much shooting major.  Just saying.
View Quote
Ive tempered with a few things to lighten up the trigger: all without hurting the reliability.
The only thing I’ll be doing to a limited major set up will be adding weights here and there.
Vogel has a great set up on his limited glock.

I’m gonna try that myself.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's likely not going to be a Glock 35 Gen 5.  40 has lost popularity with law enforcement and USPSA Limited is not enough of a thing for Glock to create a new gun for it.

Other generation Glocks have caliber conversions because the slide is drilled/machined large enough for bigger barrels whereas the 34 is not.  USPSA will also likely not incorporate 9 major for Limited major power factor either.

Frame weights are fine in limited, and specifically non functioning flashlights are not considered flashlights.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#10]
9mm Glocks sell for more than .40 ones, I'm sure someone would trade you for a Gen 5 35.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been back and forth on this and finally went Major with a CZ TSO.

If you want to shoot your 9mm Glock, just shoot production.

If you want to shoot a Glock in limited, don't make any excuses when getting beat by guys shooting much easier to shoot guns.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Two words- Carry Optics.

You get the cool dot, you get 20+ rounds of capacity with most mags (21 round PMAGs are CO legal and cost $17.99 from magpul), and its a minor only division like production.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been back and forth on this and finally went Major with a CZ TSO.

If you want to shoot your 9mm Glock, just shoot production.

If you want to shoot a Glock in limited, don't make any excuses when getting beat by guys shooting much easier to shoot guns.
View Quote
Not really making excuses.. It's shooting limited minor vs major. I still slay limited division in local matches just with glock 34.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Two words- Carry Optics.

You get the cool dot, you get 20+ rounds of capacity with most mags (21 round PMAGs are CO legal and cost $17.99 from magpul), and its a minor only division like production.
View Quote
Got a CO set up with a gen 5 34 and SRO. Splits and accuracy improved immediately over irons. I did significantly better on classifier stages without any practice. Specifically, accurate splits went from .30 in irons to .24, and the groups are more accurate!
But the gun has 15 lbs spring and has cycling issues once every... 200 rounds. Should I try a lighter spring?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Got a CO set up with a gen 5 34 and SRO. Splits and accuracy improved immediately over irons. I did significantly better on classifier stages without any practice. Specifically, accurate splits went from .30 in irons to .24, and the groups are more accurate!
But the gun has 15 lbs spring and has cycling issues once every... 200 rounds. Should I try a lighter spring?
View Quote
You sure those cycling issues aren't mag related?  Your gun should run fine with a 15#.  You using +4-6 extensions?  I had feeding issues occasionally with both TTI and Dawson extensions.  I bought G18 mag springs and cut them as long as I could and still get 22-23 rounds in the mag.  This gives you a nice stiff spring.

To answer your spring question I ran a 12# in my G34.  11-13 seems to be what most guys use.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You sure those cycling issues aren't mag related?  Your gun should run fine with a 15#.  You using +4-6 extensions?  I had feeding issues occasionally with both TTI and Dawson extensions.  I bought G18 mag springs and cut them as long as I could and still get 22-23 rounds in the mag.  This gives you a nice stiff spring.

To answer your spring question I ran a 12# in my G34.  11-13 seems to be what most guys use.
View Quote
I use 13# in my limited g34 gen4  in the hopes that it batters my frame less than lighter spring.
I didnt know 12# existed.
I use dawson extension in both guns but the cycling problem only occurs with my gen 5 CO. My gen 5 slide is particularly harder to rack the slide, maybe the tolerance is higher.

Hmmm. I think I will try the g18 springs... how reliable is this and how often do you switch?

Update: g18 spring is hard to find?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I found the Glock G18 springs to be stiffer and cheaper than the TTI extended springs.

Like I said, you will have to cut them down.  Cut them a few coils longer than a stock G17 mag spring, assemble and load the mag.  Trim a little off at a time until you can fully load the mag.  Then you can just trim the other springs to this length.

I switched to a 2011 before I wore them out.  As a rule it's good to change your competition mag springs once a year.

https://store.teamglock.com/gun-parts/magazine-parts/springs/glock-magazine-spring-high-capacity-mags.html
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just bite the bullet and go 2011.

I have G19,17,20,21 and can’t imagine trying to compete with any of them.

I shoot an STI Edge in Limited.
View Quote
Or go CZ TSO. in .40 Problem solved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top