Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2020 12:01:21 AM EDT
At the gun range I belong to I’ve volunteered and been tasked with setting up club tactical shoots. It’s just like IDPA but not affiliated. I’ve attended many IDPA matches in multiple places. I’ve never run one. The club needs to know how much to budget for this seasons shoots and I’m not quite sure what a match needs as far as resources and quantity. I’ve done an inventory and we are good for a match or two with the amount of targets and pasters, but then we’ll be out. I know spray paint, barriers, and props add extra. So, if anyone here is familiar with running a similar shoot and willing to give some advice on logistics and costs I’d appreciate it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#1]
For a local match, it seems you have to make it work with $25 or less.

Our indoor match is 4 stages. It takes 8 shooters at $15 for it to be profitable according to the owner. Of course he has a lot more overhead being an indoor range.
Our outdoor match is 6 or 7 stages and we have charged $20 to nonmembers and $15 to members for a long time.

At all matches I have ever attended anywhere, the workers (MD and SO's) do not pay to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#2]
My first match cost me probably 10 years and close to $100,000. Not because I got arrested, but I got hooked. Started that match with a stock Walter p99 and a few boxes of Wally World 9mm. Some old guys with vests taught me the ropes and bought me lunch after, saying they never saw someone shoot so much yet hit so little.

That started me on USPSA and the likes. I’ve shot state and regional championships in that, idpa, gssf, and 3 gun. I’ve spend weeks training and weekends driving all over to shoot matches. Rolled into shitty motels with $20k in 3 gun gear in bags. Made some good friends, won a bunch of shit, lost a bunch of time/money but I don’t know that I’ll ever say it wasn’t worth it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Steel is the big expense.  Maybe steer clear of steel until you get a match or 2 done.   If you don't have resources to build barriers and walls, you can use ground marking spray paint (water soluble) to paint fault lines and whatnot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top