Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2016 4:21:18 PM EDT
After weighing the decision to either buy a gun cart or cobble my own together, I opted to go the do-it-yourself route.  The project was so successful I decided to write an article about it in hopes I could help other folks new to the sport.

Let me emphasize that I'm not at all mechanically inclined.  Only the most basic of tools were used.

Build Your Own Gun Cart For 3 Gun Competition - ThruMyLens

Enjoy - and do let me know your thoughts on the article.

-John
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish I'd heard about carts before I showed up to my first match yesterday

Thankfully one guy offered to share space in his--he used a collapsible wagon, and I've decided to go with that, too.  One thing he did that was really neat was to mount a beach umbrella to it, and pack a folding chair.  He sat in the shade while the rest of us stood and got sunburned...
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a jogging stroller for an IDPA match because there was a huge hill and I didn't want to pull a wagon up it twice. When I started shooting 3gun locally I slapped some ATV gun mounts on it and hung a little cooler off the front. When Christmas came around I decided I wanted to upgrade to a 2 seater because everyone tossed their bags on my cart. They helped push it of course but it was tough to get to the bags.  

I figured 2 seater well that just screamed to be set up for 2 people. I got some double gun mounts and hit Lowes. I got 2 peices of thin square tubing, some U claps and some chain.  I simply clamped the square tubing to the handles at the top and bottom. Mounted the gun mounts and fixed 2 turn buckles to the lower tubing with the chain. 2 quick clips on the cooler and I can mount it solid. Later I put a peice of 1 1/2 (i think) PVC pipe on the cart and the upper tubing for an umbrella holder.  All in all it was pretty dang good till I hit a ditch that the water run off had cut and something in the folding part popped. I just took more tubing and reenforced down both sides. Carts can be expensive to get into but they more than pay for themselves if you shoot larger matches and in hot weather.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By icebrain:
I wish I'd heard about carts before I showed up to my first match yesterday

Thankfully one guy offered to share space in his--he used a collapsible wagon, and I've decided to go with that, too.  One thing he did that was really neat was to mount a beach umbrella to it, and pack a folding chair.  He sat in the shade while the rest of us stood and got sunburned...
View Quote
Everyone had a fine ole laugh at me the 1st time I had mine at an IDPA match. Then the strangest thing happened........everyone was crowed around my cart because I had the shade covering my gear. I told the group anyone who laughed or giggled at me down at the shooters meeting could stand in the sun. They thought I was serious for a minute or 2.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
For less than atv gun mount you could get a couple of these for 5 bucks

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-Scoop-25-lb-Steel-Garage-Hook-for-GearTrack-or-GearWall-GAWEXXSCSH/204280788?MERCH=REC-_-mobileweb_pip_rr-_-204284982-_-204280788-_-N

And a couple of these
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Thule/852-3006-001.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIquqs0MOH1wIViLfACh2LMwzvEAQYAiABEgJ3nPD_BwE

If one wanted to save even more money.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a lot of writing.

I just put atv gun racks on a used jogging stroller.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Now I'm glad I didn't throw that double jogging stroller away.    Something to build up over the "off-season".
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome write up!   Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rolex_John:
After weighing the decision to either buy a gun cart or cobble my own together, I opted to go the do-it-yourself route.  The project was so successful I decided to write an article about it in hopes I could help other folks new to the sport.

Let me emphasize that I'm not at all mechanically inclined.  Only the most basic of tools were used.

Build Your Own Gun Cart For 3 Gun Competition - ThruMyLens

Enjoy - and do let me know your thoughts on the article.

-John
View Quote

Thanks man, that article inspired me to grab one and convert it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:25:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: steve8140] [#9]
Now I’m also inspired, after lugging arourn a double rifle bag at the last few matches I decided to upgrade. Bought this locally yesterday for $40, and ordered ATV gun mounts last night. I’ll update another pic when I’m done.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Added some gun mounts tonight and took the seat off.
Here’s how it is now.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 6:05:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TACTICAL] [#11]
Originally Posted By steve8140:
Added some gun mounts tonight and took the seat off.
Here’s how it is now.
View Quote
Nice, just got a similar one. Where did you pick up the mounts?

Looking at some on Amazon, but like the clamp style you have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RTPXAE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:03:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steve8140] [#12]
@TACTICAL

here’s the ones I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003UYYGTO?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

I really like the way they mount and are also offset and have a nice thumbscrew to adjust the angle. Makes it nice to be able to change later if I get a different cart or decide to put them on a ATV or boat. Seem to be good quality and the grips are nice rubber. Here’s some close up pics.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:58:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TACTICAL] [#13]
Awesome... Just ordered a couple sets!

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 3:34:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Johnny_C] [#14]
I set up our single seat for 3 gun several years ago
based on the OP's methods. But, I saw a guy with
a two seater and wanted one after that because
that guy could sit in it after he unloaded his gear.
It negated the need to carry a chair.

John
Link Posted: 4/30/2019 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I used a jogging stroller that had fixed wheels, works better on the rougher potholes and snow.  Used 99 cent spring clamps and u-bolts, then added a platform to hold a larger bag and this also serves to be the lower gun holder.  I was amazed how much a set of ATV mounts cost.

Whole cart $8!
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#16]
think its time I buy a stroller.. im tired of lugging around 200 lbs of equipment and ammo.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Coldsnap:
think its time I buy a stroller.. im tired of lugging around 200 lbs of equipment and ammo.
View Quote
You won’t regret it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Something I put together for our informal cowboy action shoots in a pasture. Paid $20 for the jogging stroller. Less than $100 in the whole thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top