Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 8:28:32 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to invest in a decent match pistol & I'm torn between getting a .40 & a 9mm.

Having 20 rounds of 9mm on tap is great for burning down a 3 gun stage.  But 9mm minor sucks in USPSA.

Being able to be scored as major is a great benefit in USPSA.  But I can see how a 17 round mag can be a detriment in 3 gun.

So, for those of you who shoot one pistol in both disciplines, which did you go with and why?

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I shoot both in 9mm.

I have a Glock 34 and shoot USPSA production.

For 3-Gun, I use my extended magazines so it gives me 23 +1 in 9mm.

I'd imagine if you want to shoot Limited and 3-Gun, you would probably want to shoot a .40.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Pick what USPSA division you want to shoot and buy the pistol based on that.  If your like me, you'll shoot a lot more USPSA than 3-Gun.  Then, build your 3-Gun gear around that.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Budget <$1000: Get a Glock 34, M&P9 5" Pro or XDM9. Leave it pretty much stock. Shoot USPSA Production, then stuff extra rounds in your mags and shoot 3-Gun.
Budget <$2000: Get the above 9mm pistols + the same platforms in .40. Add Limited-legal upgrades to both (trigger, magwell etc.). Shoot the .40 in USPSA Limited, and the 9mm in 3-Gun. This what I did - my M&P pistols are shown below.

Both the above options will be more flexible, less expensive and lower drama than buying into a thoroughbred  2011. I haven't fired my 2011 in probably 10 years.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Budget <$1000: Get a Glock 34, M&P9 5" Pro or XDM9. Leave it pretty much stock. Shoot USPSA Production, then stuff extra rounds in your mags and shoot 3-Gun.
Budget <$2000: Get the above 9mm pistols + the same platforms in .40. Add Limited-legal upgrades to both (trigger, magwell etc.). Shoot the .40 in USPSA Limited, and the 9mm in 3-Gun. This what I did - my M&P pistols are shown below.

Both the above options will be more flexible, less expensive and lower drama than buying into a thoroughbred  2011. I haven't fired my 2011 in probably 10 years.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/stealthyblagga/MampPMatchGuns_zps4c065906.jpg
View Quote

I have actually kicked around the notion of getting 2 STI's, one in 40 & the other in 9.  But I'm having a hard time justifying the expense.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here are some options from high cost/performance to low cost/performance.

Order an Infinity in either 9mm or .40 then get a conversion to the other caliber/division.  That is what I did with my .40 for USPSA & I added a .45 for Heavy Metal 3-Gun.

Get a CZ75 SP-01 Shadow for Production.  Add a few extra mags with mag extensions.

Get a Glock 34/35 and get a conversion barrel for 9/40.  Buy mags and Taran Tactical extensions as necessary.

View Quote

I like the Infinities - I shot a buddy's SVI & felt like a superman the whole time, but the price/wait kills me.

Though the caliber conversion isn't something I considered before.  I think its worth looking into.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot 3-gun and Limited (minor) with my Hayes 9mm 2011. Two alphas is still two alphas. I managed to win the Free State USPSA Limited division this year shooting minor....you just have to make your hits.

I shoot a LOT more 3-gun than USPSA tho. If the other way around, I would only shoot .40 and would have a minor load and extra mag on my belt.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I shoot both and had a Limited Glock 22 for USPSA. SO I just use it in 3gun. 20 rounds is plenty for most stages.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I shoot my G34 in both 3 Gun and USPSA.

Because, after all, USPSA is just practice for 3 gun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#10]
You could always just shoot 40 minor ammo for 3 gun.

Depending on how serious you are, pick the right tool for the job.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I shoot my daughters G34 or my limited gun in 3 gun depending on how much ammo I have loaded up.  It is never the pistol that holds me back (well actually in USPSA it does ).
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:06:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I shoot my G34 in both 3 Gun and USPSA.

Because, after all, USPSA is just practice for 3 gun.
View Quote

Very well said!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I shoot more 3 gun than how much I care about scoring in USPSA so I stick with 9mm.  Plus saving cash on ammo so I can shoot more by using 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:04:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I shoot a CZ-75 Shadow in 3-gun and USPSA Production.  I had a CZ CTS limited gun in .40, but felt at a disadvantage to the 9mm's in 3-gun.  I have also shot a Beretta 92FS in both Production and 3-Gun and not felt it any disadvantage.  I'm currently looking at the Sig Legion SAO 226 and trying to convince myself it would be a viable 3-gun setup.  

In truth, a Glock 34 is about the "easiest" pistol to run in both, if you can get used to the gun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#15]
when you get older, you will trade your G34 for Limited minor, and get a 9mm PCC and shoot a cheap open gun with a stock attached
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have actually kicked around the notion of getting 2 STI's, one in 40 & the other in 9.  But I'm having a hard time justifying the expense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/stealthyblagga/MampPMatchGuns_zps4c065906.jpg
Get a 5" .40 sti and have a 6" 9mm upper fitted.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#17]
You can always go 9mm open shooting major ammo and 27 round 170 length mags for USPSA. By that point you will be shooting open in 3 gun too however. I shot production in USPSA 1st year, limited for a few months then went straight to open. I'll never go back, sure I'm not the best but I really enjoy the fast nature of open. Open in 3 gun is really fun too with multiple optics and a giant shotgun tube. Open is not for everyone but I enjoy the heck out of it. Course you will be spending allot on equipment and at that point just paying for slight more cost of 40 to shoot limited major makes more since.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a custom 2011 built in 9mm and 40.  It takes 1 Min to go from one caliber to another
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know several people that have a STI IN .40 and a 6” 9mm upper and mags. Makes for a really cool combination
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I can get 20 reloadable in my .40 2011 mags.  Now this does takes tuning and aftermarket parts.  If I were to shoot 3 Gun I would just load .40 minor.  Shoots softer than 9mm minor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did that with TSOs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I shoot 3-gun and Limited (minor) with my Hayes 9mm 2011. Two alphas is still two alphas. I managed to win the Free State USPSA Limited division this year shooting minor....you just have to make your hits.

I shoot a LOT more 3-gun than USPSA tho. If the other way around, I would only shoot .40 and would have a minor load and extra mag on my belt.
View Quote
This is good advise. With 140mm mags, you should still have 20 rounds of .40.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree completely.   I shoot both with a CZ Tactical Sports 9mm.  I shoot more 3 gun than USPSA by far, but minor is only a handicap if you miss.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just do it.  I shoot both and shoot an Edge 40 for Limited and a DVC 3Gun in 9 for 3 gun.  Limited Minor sucks balls.  Once you have STI's they are all you are going to shoot and you won't be thinking about what pistols to get next.  If you need holsters check out Windfall Defense.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I like to use My STI DVC 3-Gun in 9mm for both. I shoot mostly 3-gun and mix in some USPSA. Limited Minor makes you concentrate a little more on accuracy for USPSA and gives higher capacity. If I was shooting mainly USPSA I would probably get a .40 and use minor loads for 3-Gun. The newest 140mm magazines from STI are 18 rounds for .40 and 20 rounds for 9mm so you are only sacrificing 2 rounds of capacity. If you can afford to do 2 guns you could do the Edge which is a little cheaper option or he DVC 3-Gun and or DVC Limited which are VERY, VERY nice. If anyone wants to get any STI pistols, let me know. I can get you a brand ambassador discount!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:05:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like this idea.

The 2011's are sweeter to shoot for sure though.
I recently got to shoot a pair of custom 2011's in 9 and 40. The 40 felt like a 9 to shoot, the triggers and accuracy were awsome. Rapid fire 10 shot groups were like using a laser and the gun hardly moves, all for the modest price of 9K for the pair (this includes everything needed to shoot a match).No, you don't have to go that far down the rabbit hole, but it can happen. $80 to $130 per magazine as well, cool.

I'm running an XDM 9 with Dawson sights+magwells and a Powder River trigger. The gun just never messes up. The minor power factor goes both ways. Yeah just shoot all A's, no problem, it's easy, its only a 9mm, lol.
Most shots fired at a match are A and C with either round, and that's where the 40 pulls ahead. I'm a high C shooter in USPSA, at this point, the gun is not why I'm not a high B. ETA: after thinking about it, since most classifiers involve less movement, maybe it is. A person could rank higher because they're good at classifiers, and tank stages.

So, what did you decide?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:06:09 AM EDT
[#27]
you need to decide what divisions you plan on shooting and buy/dress/train around that. For a while I was heavy into 3 gun, and shot it with a 6" STI in 40 minor. shot softer than 9mm, with 140mm mags i was 20+1 so not that far behind 9mm (23+1 usually). the long sight radius and good trigger let me hit little steel on the first try so I made fewer reloads. I also shot USPSA single stack so I was used to planning stages, reloading when moving, etc.

I would shoot 40 major in USPSA but then when I decided 3 gun was my game I just continued shooting 40 minor and scoring myself like I would be in 3 gun.

Oh there is one advantage to 40 in 3 gun. if there's steel or swingers that are set a bit heavy and you know that going in, you can use some major ammo. I've done this where 9mm guys have to hit the top of the plate and I can hit it anywhere. rare but it is helpful.

Here's what I would do now, ranked by budget:

$4K+ SVI with 9mm/40/45 top ends. maybe 9mm with a dot to for outlaw.

$2k and care about Limited major: used Edge/eagle. load minor for 3 gun. same mags and holster so that's nice

$2k don't care about limited major: STI DVC/Maruader/Tactical (get a rail for night matches) 9mm. bunch of good mags. enjoy

$1k but want to shoot limited major. M&P/Glock 40. 9mm conversion and mags for 3 gun

less than 1k or don't care about major: M&P/Glock 9mm. shoot production.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#28]
SVI with 3 top ends is gonna be a whole lot more than 4 Grand. Probably closer to 9G.
A fairly plain SVI with ONE top end is gonna be over 5G, and 18 month wait! Just sayin.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#29]
For you guys that are A, M or GM shooters that started with an M&P, Glock or XDM or similar and moved on to a 2011 type...
Looking back was the gun actually holding you back from advancing
Or was it more experience and trigger time?
If you go back are you just as competitive?
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For you guys that are A, M or GM shooters that started with an M&P, Glock or XDM or similar and moved on to a 2011 type...
View Quote
I started with a M&P, then spent several seasons with a fairly inexpensive but properly set up single-stack gun.   Once I decided I wanted to be competitive with the good production shooters at local matches, I spent more and more time practicing, dry fire and live fire. I was able to go from C to M with the M&P in one season.   The following season I reached M in SS.  Then in a few months made M in Limited with an off the shelf STI 2011.   The gun doesn't hold you back, dedication to serious practice will hold you back.

After 2 full seasons of Limited, I returned to Production with the same M&P was was still competitive with the local heat, even winning division over a newly minted GM Tangfo operator.

The better one gets across any division/ gun, the better than will be at picking up any gun and shooting it well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I started with a M&P, then spent several seasons with a fairly inexpensive but properly set up single-stack gun.   Once I decided I wanted to be competitive with the good production shooters at local matches, I spent more and more time practicing, dry fire and live fire. I was able to go from C to M with the M&P in one season.   The following season I reached M in SS.  Then in a few months made M in Limited with an off the shelf STI 2011.   The gun doesn't hold you back, dedication to serious practice will hold you back.

After 2 full seasons of Limited, I returned to Production with the same M&P was was still competitive with the local heat, even winning division over a newly minted GM Tangfo operator.

The better one gets across any division/ gun, the better than will be at picking up any gun and shooting it well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once you get your basics of trigger press and sight picture, then one of your biggest improvements you can make is a good dry fire practice. Pick up Ben Stoeger's books and reduced size targets from the Ben Stoeger Pro Shop. Invest 15-20 minutes of serious dry fire practice 3-4 times a week and you will improve. One other thing to get is a timer so you can measure your improvements. The books, targets and timer should run right around $200-250.

A good dry fire program will improve your draw speeds, reloads, and transitions. These areas with give the best improvements in times no matter to age or if you are not in super physical condition. You are not limited by only have some FUDD range to use where you can not draw from holsters, move between targets, or positions.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I just use my carry optics pistol to shoot open in 3 gun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:57:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I only shoot major in single stack . Everything else for pistols is 9mm. Entirely due to expense vs practice... I’d rather shoot a more easily available and often cheaper bullet more often than have a point advantage.

I’m fairly new to competition shooting though and sold off safe queens to get a used sti 2011 dvc, a Springfield trp 1911 for single and a CZ shadow 2.
To me, I wanted to make sure the only error I encounter is on me and never a firearm.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Never mind
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#35]
What kind of participation are you guys seeing in USPSA vs 3 Gun in your area?  It looks to me like 3 Gun is slowing down a lot and more people are just going to pistol only. Maybe it's just in my area.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#36]
CZ Tactical Sport

Can shoot minor 9 or Major 9.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What kind of participation are you guys seeing in USPSA vs 3 Gun in your area?  It looks to me like 3 Gun is slowing down a lot and more people are just going to pistol only. Maybe it's just in my area.
View Quote
USPSA usually 90
3 Gun 20 to 25
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
CZ Tactical Sport

Can shoot minor 9 or Major 9.

Problem solved.
View Quote
You can't shoot 9 major in limited, just FYI.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
USPSA growing PCC has siphoned off a lot of the 3gunners.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

USPSA growing PCC has siphoned off a lot of the 3gunners.
View Quote
In my case 3 gun is the day after USPSA
There are 3 or 4 stages left up for 3 gun on Sunday
I have to drive about 1 hour 45 minutes to get there
Nearly every time I leave I tell someone I'll be there the next day, but by the time I'm almost home I realize I'm just not up for the drive again. Too bad because they are great matches.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Buy your STI in 40 and get a 9mm barrel and mags.

Never mind already suggested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top