Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2016 11:14:37 PM EDT
Part of this has been asked a 100 times, the other part I can't find opinions. I can't really spend over $1,000 on a shotty and I'm pretty new to 3 Gun.
I started out with my eyes on a Beretta 1301 but opinions on here have swayed me.
Then I thought about a Stoeger of some sort, lately a M3K. A good friend has a M3000 and loves it.
I recently found a FN SLP MARK 1 for right under $1,000.
Does anyone here have any opinions or advice on the FN?
I'm guessing based on most of the threads lately people like the M3K over the 1301?
I like 3 gun A LOT but don't get to go much because of life and family so my choice will be for some 3 gun, home defense, and just messing around and having fun.
Sorry for dealing with another newby but some of these threads have me a little nervous about a shotgun.
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I hear (from Jesse), SLPs have more issues than one would like. If you do some looking, there are a fair few used Benelli M2's in the <$1000 range. I saw one in Cabela's gun library for $800 last night, but sadly it was sold before I could buy it. I think most people will say that it's a much better shotgun for the money. It is the tool of choice for most of the people in the pro circuit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have only shot a FN SLP once.  I borrowed it from a friend and shot a 3 gun match with it.  It shot and felt very well.  Especially, when you consider I picked it up and shot the match with it.  The owner of the shotgun has been using it for years for 3 gun and has never had an issue with it.

However, I ended up buying a Versa Max Competition.  It shoots very well.  It is very comfortable for me to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I shot a FN SLP for a couple of years, pain in the ass to keep running reliably. At least yearly needed to replace all springs.

Best thing I ever did was buy a Beretta 1301, gun runs flawlessly, i don't go crazy cleaning it, just monthly which is 2-3 matches a month, I give it a spray down with CLP. Besides adding a tube, all I have done was one the loading port and change front sight and add a rear sight.

Stoegers and Versamax's need quite a few parts from Benelli's to make them run.

Both Benelli's and Beretta's have Italian quality, and remember Beretta owns Benelli.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:03:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga] [#4]
Avoid the SLP... too unreliable. Avoid the Mossberg... too hit-or-miss.

Stoeger is good for the money, Beretta is excellent at any price, but adding magazine extensions to foreign-made shotguns = 922r headache (which many folks ignore at their peril).

VersaMax Sportsman is under your budget also. Add a magazine extension and have the carrier welded up, and you have a match winning gun in your hands. Newer production is more robust, and many Benelli parts fit in the event that a part does break.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 1:28:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all for the feedback. I will give the Remington Versa Max some thought but I am not much of a Remington fan(just my own weird thing). I have a local shop that has had a 1301 on their shelf for quite some time I believe and I wonder if I could move it for a good price with a little chit chat. I'm sure if I do end up with the 1301 it will serve me well enough.
Either way I'll take my time and see if I can find one of the preferred choices at a good price somewhere since it's going to be winter anyway for awhile...
-Rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top