Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2017 1:26:43 PM EDT
How often do the inside of a 3 Gun pistol mags need to be cleaned?

What tools work great?

I'm running a Glock 34
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Somewhere between never and once a year, depending on conditions and what kind of range surface on which they're being dropped.

Use your good judgment.  If they get muddy or debris on the inside/feed lips/follower, then clean.

Just dirty or dusty?  Not worth my time.

The guys who religiously clean mags after every stage are clowns.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If it gets dropped in the dirt/mud then it gets cleaned. Just run a mag brush or rag through. It's cheap insurance. I did the same when I was running a Glock as I do now running a 2011. No reason to introduce dirt and debris unnecessarily.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it gets dropped in the dirt/mud then it gets cleaned. Just run a mag brush or rag through. It's cheap insurance. I did the same when I was running a Glock as I do now running a 2011. No reason to introduce dirt and debris unnecessarily.
View Quote
This, if you have the time clean it everytime it hits the ground. Ive had double stacks mags jam and get sluggish feeding from dust alone
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
after every stage, depending on ground surface.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 3:49:11 AM EDT
[#5]
After a match, or if a mag gets obviously dirty during a match where I'm out of spares. Gravel rattling around inside will get a mag cleaned after a stage if I can't replace it with a fresh mag. I put a zip tie around the corner of a microfiber cloth and left the excess zip tie hanging off. It makes a handy pull-through.

My STI magazines aren't as dirt tolerant as my single stack 1911 or Glock mags.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#6]
depends on the surface. i have a range i shoot at that has very fine dirt that i have to clean every time or i have issues. another range has hard pack dirt that doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
The fine dust in some of my local clubs uspsa match requires running a brush no matter what. Grassy bays, not so much.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I keep a bottle brush in my range bag.

I clean as needed

but not before every local match.

Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Most of the time we are on concrete so no worries there. If it was sandy, muddy or wet I would clean them. No gravel or rock in the ranges I shoot here in FL. I also clean and check them whenever the mood strikes me. JMHO.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Every few months or so.  A can of compressed air with a straw helps until then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top