Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2020 5:41:14 PM EDT

all the boys were talking yesterday at the lab while we were mounting a scope on a PSA 6.5creedmore rig and 2 of them are in the Army and Air Guard. I brought up the Presidents 100 tab to the young man who bought the rifle since he is in the Army National Guard and told him he should give competitions a chance.

if someone wanted to build or buy a rig to start shooting CMP competitions what would you encourage them to build on a budget since they are all in college.

this is the rifle he bought
PSA 6.5 creedmore

I told him the only thing he might want to do is change the stock over to a fixed.

if the others wanted to get in the game. what should they look at.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I would start with a  556 20 inch a2, with the best barrel and trigger I can afford, and i reload.

I currently shoot a a2 with a delton gov profile barrel and a rock river 2-stage, because that's what I have in 20 inch.

I'm not real serious, but on days that I shoot well I shoot in the top 20% with that rig.

Trigger is imho the number one upgrade that can turn an average rifle into a potential tack driver.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
I would start with a  556 20 inch a2, with the best barrel and trigger I can afford, and i reload.

I currently shoot a a2 with a delton gov profile barrel and a rock river 2-stage, because that's what I have in 20 inch.

I'm not real serious, but on days that I shoot well I shoot in the top 20% with that rig.

Trigger is imho the number one upgrade that can turn an average rifle into a potential tack driver.
View Quote

I've already told the trigger was the most important thing they would probably have to change but my son said that trigger was a huge surprise. very smooth, no creep. I think PSA upgraded the trigger than the one that was originally sold on it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By OKnativeson:

I've already told the trigger was the most important thing they would probably have to change but my son said that trigger was a huge surprise. very smooth, no creep. I think PSA upgraded the trigger than the one that was originally sold on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OKnativeson:
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
I would start with a  556 20 inch a2, with the best barrel and trigger I can afford, and i reload.

I currently shoot a a2 with a delton gov profile barrel and a rock river 2-stage, because that's what I have in 20 inch.

I'm not real serious, but on days that I shoot well I shoot in the top 20% with that rig.

Trigger is imho the number one upgrade that can turn an average rifle into a potential tack driver.

Well that specific rifle Has a upgraded two-stage nickel boron trigger included.

But your specific question was originally about what you would suggest somebody else Buy
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:51:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MemeWarfare] [#4]
Here is the rule book.

https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/2020HighpowerRifleRules.pdf

Any AR15 used in CMP service rifle competition must be chambered in 5.56/.223. Long range matches permit AR10 in 7.62/.308.

A 6.5 Creedmoor would not be legal in service rifle competition.

A good place to start would be to look at the turn-key SR competition rifles sold by White Oak and Rock River. That would give you great examples of what is needed to be legal and to win.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By airsix:
Here is the rule book.

Any AR15 used in CMP service rifle competition must be chambered in 5.56/.223. Long range matches permit AR10 in 7.62/.308. 

A 6.5 Creedmoor would not be legal in service rifle competition.

A good place to start would be to look at the turn-key SR competition rifles sold by White Oak and Rock River. That would give you great examples of what is needed to be legal and to win.
View Quote

thank you.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]
White Oak or Compass Lake. Cant go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:55:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#7]
Originally Posted By airsix:
Here is the rule book.

Any AR15 used in CMP service rifle competition must be chambered in 5.56/.223. Long range matches permit AR10 in 7.62/.308.

A 6.5 Creedmoor would not be legal in service rifle competition.

A good place to start would be to look at the turn-key SR competition rifles sold by White Oak and Rock River. That would give you great examples of what is needed to be legal and to win.
View Quote
at the club level matches, most clubs allow any service caliber, any military rifle from any country.
The OP didnt specify what sort of CMP matches they want to shoot.  He did indicate that they want to shoot and they are in college, that info leads me to believe that they wont be shooting in national matches or be submitting their scores to compete at a national level.

In any case, the OP should be aware of the rule book and I thank you for providing the link.

See section 4.1.5 for alternative rifles, and it states:

4.1.5 CMP Match Rifle A rifle that complies with this rule may be used in CMP sanctioned matches when  authorized  by  the  match  program.  Match  sponsors  may  divide sanctioned match competitors into two categories for a) Service and Alternative Rifles and b) Match Rifles.  a)Cartridge. May be chambered for any cartridge not exceeding .308" in diameter and not less than .224" in diameter.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FLATFOOT762:
White Oak or Compass Lake. Cant go wrong with either one.
View Quote

Those are both great.

Rock River also makes a good one for $625 complete. It was my first one, and it shot great.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FLATFOOT762:
White Oak or Compass Lake. Cant go wrong with either one.
View Quote

Those are both great.

Rock River also makes a good one for $625 complete. It was my first one, and it shot great.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd check with local highpower shooters.
There are often folks selling equipment for decent prices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top