Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2019 2:15:07 PM EDT
I'm new to USPSA & IDPA and in the process of weeding my way through the USPSA & IDPA rulebooks and I just had a few questions regarding whether certain firearms are legal or not and I'm getting a bit tripped up trying to figure it out as I'm interested in the Carry Optics division.

Are the following handguns legal in IDPA Carry Optics:

1) CZ Shadow 2 (using an aftermarket slide from Primary Machine to bring the weight under 45 Ounces)
2) STI Staccato P Duo
3) Sig P320 X5 Legion (With the magwell detached).
4) Sig P226 Legion SAO

Same question, but for USPSA Carry Optics:

1) CZ Shadow 2 (using an aftermarket slide from Primary Machine to bring the weight under 45 Ounces)
2) STI Staccato P Duo
3) Sig P320 X5 Legion (With the magwell detached).
4) Sig P226 Legion SAO (I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that Carry Optics still has to use the USPSA Production Gun List?  If so, I see there is a note that no Sig SAO versions are approved.  I'm just not sure if that is only for Production Division or that applies to Carry Optics as well.

Also, just a generic question.  Are Extended Magazines allowed (using a Taran Tactical Extended Base Plate) in USPSA Carry Optics and/or IDPA Carry Optics?

Thanks for the help and advice :)
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By 1Wolf:
I'm new to USPSA & IDPA and in the process of weeding my way through the USPSA & IDPA rulebooks and I just had a few questions regarding whether certain firearms are legal or not and I'm getting a bit tripped up trying to figure it out as I'm interested in the Carry Optics division.

Are the following handguns legal in IDPA Carry Optics:

1) CZ Shadow 2 (using an aftermarket slide from Primary Machine to bring the weight under 45 Ounces) YES
2) STI Staccato P Duo ?
3) Sig P320 X5 Legion (With the magwell detached). YES
4) Sig P226 Legion SAO YES

Same question, but for USPSA Carry Optics:

1) CZ Shadow 2 (using an aftermarket slide from Primary Machine to bring the weight under 45 Ounces) YES
2) STI Staccato P Duo ?
3) Sig P320 X5 Legion (With the magwell detached). YES
4) Sig P226 Legion SAO (I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that Carry Optics still has to use the USPSA Production Gun List?  If so, I see there is a note that no Sig SAO versions are approved.  I'm just not sure if that is only for Production Division or that applies to Carry Optics as well. ?

Also, just a generic question.  Are Extended Magazines allowed (using a Taran Tactical Extended Base Plate) in USPSA Carry Optics and/or IDPA Carry Optics? 141 mm mags are good to go in USPSA. In IDPA you will be limited to 10 rounds per mag so there is no benefit to extended mags. Further, In IDPA, the gun still has to fit in the box so the extensions will probably make any of those guns too tall.

Thanks for the help and advice :)
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
No on the sti and the sig 226 Single Action Only
Production and carry optics guns must ether have a double action first pull or a safe action like the glock
Single action guns are legal in limited or L10
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Just wanted to say thanks for chiming in.  I'm in the process of learning the rules and so it can be a bit tricky figuring what is and isn't legal.  Thank you :)
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Sucks you can't use the magwell with the Legion. It's really nice with the magwell.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 4:09:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SJan] [#5]
CO division in IDPA is based on ESP division.  Basically take a ESP gun and put a dot on the slide.   Advantages here over USPSA are that you are allowed a magwell and single action only firearms.  Disadvantages here are every pistol in IDPA is limited to 10 rounds in the mags, and the weight limit is challenging to meet with some guns.

CO in USPSA is based on Production division.  Must be a gun from the production approved list, with a dot on the slide.  Production is 10 rounds only, while CO is whatever you can fit in a 140mm magazine. (23+/-)   A recent change in USPSA Production and CO is the 59oz weight limit for any make/model.  Aftermarket slides are allowed now as well.    Advantage here over IDPA is the round capacity, weight limit, less restrictive holster placement rules,  and well none of the weird IDPA rule stuff.   Disadvantages here are you can't use a SAO gun, and you can't have a magwell.

ETA:   shoot either the shadow 2 or the x5 in USPSA CO with extended mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top