Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2015 6:34:52 PM EDT
Hello All,

Long story Short I used to live in NY and had limited access to 3-gun, I've done several carbine courses and had started training for IPSC but my primary focus was escaping NY. Moved to Arizona to start a company and now that it's finally off the ground I can focus on gearing up and training for 3-gun and IDPA. I don't mind spending money on good gear, however I hate the feeling when I buy a nice piece of gear only to realize it doesn't have the adjustments I need or fit me correctly. I have been accustomed to using a standard 8 shotshell holder and performing a weak hand reload but was never really comfortable with the technique. I wanted to try out a 2 round reload with a similar rig to this:

I decided to 3D print a setup and run drills to get a feel for the technique and if it was right for me. I'm not sure this rig would stand up to more than 1  event (I've inserted and removed the shotshells 40 times without failure so far) but it will at least give you the feel for this style setup before spending the money. I also wanted to see what kind of spacing I would need to comfortably draw the rounds out of the holder. There are 2 printed parts in this assembly, each shotshell holder is printed as a single piece (MUST be printed vertically as it increases strength of the clips), the base plate can accommodate up to 4 shotshell holders and has a .75" pattern for mounting both the holders and belt clips.

I put the files up on GrabCAD: HERE

This is my first attempt:

Any recommendations on how many shells I should plan on carrying, different belt attachment systems I should look into, or just general tips please let me know.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks very nice !

I think as long as you don't go prone or smash into something they will hold up pretty good.

Are they PLA or ABS ?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#2]
They are PLA, still holding up after a few practice sessions.

How often do courses require the use of the prone position?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#3]
We usually have 1 per match.

Nearly everybody that uses those type holders have some sort of problem.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool. Good luck perfecting your shell holder :)
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:23:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: toothandnail] [#5]
I need to clarify my previous statement

By problem, it could be as simple as losing some shells to bending/breaking something.

Many guys also put a quick disconnect buckle so they can drop it quick if the stage design allows.

I may print a few for a couple buddies to try out.  I shoot open , cause I suck at reloading
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I've  thought about doing a similar concept of just the retencion piece then mount those with countersunk screw into a piece of kydex. I'm still waiting on my 3d printer as with most of those start up companies there has been plenty of delays
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]
You should join the DIY 3 gun gear group on facebook.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#8]
That's very cool!

I've moved back and forth with the caddies, it's great you can try different styles and see what works on your own.

When it comes to prone, yes, it can be an issue. With most of my matches I tend to remove the caddy(s) via the quick release prior to running that stage or reposition them on the belt so they're as out of the way as they can be.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I would love to try printing out a set. I went on the web site and tried to register, but haven't had any luck. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Great use of the technology and a sweet design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top