Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2018 9:35:49 AM EDT
So I have been interested in getting into 3G for a long time now. I just recently finished a 16" carbine build with a Steiner P4Xi and have a VP9 and all I really need at this point is a shot gun which I'm considering a Beretta 1301.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Also does anyone know of any places to try out a 3G competition or get good info on it in the Raleigh NC area?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#1]
If you go with the 1301 comp, try to get the 24" rather than the 21". The extra velocity will help knock down plates with birdshot. Also budget for some extended chokes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks great suggestion. I have yet to have any trigger time on it but it looks like a great option.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I would borrow a shotgun for your first match, and figure out what you want.

Shotguns are where you can dump a ton of money to get one you like and that runs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would borrow a shotgun for your first match, and figure out what you want.

Shotguns are where you can dump a ton of money to get one you like and that runs.
View Quote
That's funny. I'd assume the AR15+optic would be where the most cash went
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's funny. I'd assume the AR15+optic would be where the most cash went
View Quote
most folks go though multiple shotguns before the settle on one. It adds up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both an M2, and a 1301 that I got for my wife.  I like the 1301 a lot, but it seems like it would take a lot more work to open up for load-2 style loading.  I can load old-school weak-hand style with it easily, but my M2 loads much easier load-2 or quad loading.  The 1301 is a nice set up, though, and has a very short length of pull, which is what my wife liked about it.  I also prefer the safety on the Beretta over the M2.  The M2 probably has the best record in 3-gun for durability and reliability, so that's something to consider.  Stay away from the Mossberg JM shotgun (in my opinion)--I have never seen more people be frustrated by their shotguns than JM owners.  My two M2s and 1301 have never given me any troubles.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have both an M2, and a 1301 that I got for my wife.  I like the 1301 a lot, but it seems like it would take a lot more work to open up for load-2 style loading.  I can load old-school weak-hand style with it easily, but my M2 loads much easier load-2 or quad loading.  The 1301 is a nice set up, though, and has a very short length of pull, which is what my wife liked about it.  I also prefer the safety on the Beretta over the M2.  The M2 probably has the best record in 3-gun for durability and reliability, so that's something to consider.  Stay away from the Mossberg JM shotgun (in my opinion)--I have never seen more people be frustrated by their shotguns than JM owners.  My two M2s and 1301 have never given me any troubles.
View Quote
Thank you for that information. Ease of reload definitely seems like an important part of manipulating a SG. What shot gun did y'all start with?
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thank you for that information. Ease of reload definitely seems like an important part of manipulating a SG. What shot gun did y'all start with?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I actually started with a Remington 1100 that was on clearance at WalMart, of all places.  It was a 21" Dove Special of some sort, with a beautiful English straight stock and blued finish with gold inlay.  It was marked down to like $380 or something stupid.  It worked really well, but it seemed overly complicated to work on, and enough other 3-gunners complained about the longevity of the 1100 that I decided to get rid of it and buy a Benelli M2.  Also, it was just too damn pretty to toss into a trash can a half dozen times a match .  I am absolutely happy with the M2, and I feel it is worth every penny.  Buy once, cry once--it's worth what they cost.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beretta moved the serial number on the 1301 so you can open the loading port more.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Beretta moved the serial number on the 1301 so you can open the loading port more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?  That's awesome!  That was basically the limiting factor on opening up the gate.  I wish Benelli would do the same, although it isn't quite as bad as the early 1301.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Another shotty to look at is the Stoeger M3k - inertia driven m2 clone basically. I have a 930 (first one, don't buy) the M3k, and a Hayes customs m2. I like the M2, but for the money the stoeger m3k is a great reliable shotgun I still bring as a backup.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Beretta listened to their shooters. The Europeon shot gunners ground right through the serial number.

Really?  That's awesome!  That was basically the limiting factor on opening up the gate.  I wish Benelli would do the same, although it isn't quite as bad as the early 1301.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beretta listened to their shooters. The Europeon shot gunners ground right through the serial number.

Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't used a 1301.  Guys who do use them, like them.

My 2 cents.  Stoeger or Benelli.

I bought a used Benelli M2, did my port work myself with a HAND FILE so as not to fuck it up, and added a Nordic Components tube.

Under 1k for a complete gun that many guys buy new for over 1k and then send off for a bunch of custom work.

If you aren't comfortable cutting your own port, send it to Mark Roth or Hayes Custom Guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5q8Es28Bl0
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I have been interested in getting into 3G for a long time now. I just recently finished a 16" carbine build with a Steiner P4Xi and have a VP9 and all I really need at this point is a shot gun which I'm considering a Beretta 1301.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Also does anyone know of any places to try out a 3G competition or get good info on it in the Raleigh NC area?

Thanks!
View Quote
Carolina 3Gun

CGG Range & Training Complex

5068 Hwy 64 East

Franklinville, NC 27248

336-737-4076
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top