Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2020 1:25:05 AM EDT
I'm new to shotguns and shooting shotguns. I bought a 20 gauge tri star to start and shoot full and I M chokes for trap. What modifications are out there that would make my 20 similar to a 12 gauge when I'm trap shooting? I'm scared of the 12 gauge recoil. My loads are 2-3/4 inch 7/8 oz 8 shot. Velocity 1200.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:07:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Physics being what they are, the recoil from a 12ga aren't significantly more than a 20. 20s tend to be lighter, and shoot 1/8 oz less shot. Drop to #9 shot, most trap ranges don't allow 7 1/2s, find a skeet tube and shoot skeet and mod.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:00:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gsc0527:
Physics being what they are, the recoil from a 12ga aren't significantly more than a 20. 20s tend to be lighter, and shoot 1/8 oz less shot. Drop to #9 shot, most trap ranges don't allow 7 1/2s, find a skeet tube and shoot skeet and mod.
View Quote
7-1/2's are standard trap loads. 8's will be fine from 16 yd line.

Skeet either 8's or 9's, 9's being pretty much standard in skeet. I've seen some skeet ranges limit shot to nothing larger than 8's.

The only 'modifications' would be to make sure your stock is set up correctly for you.  I don't know what adjustments are available with the tri-star, but some semi-autos have various shims that allow you to adjust cast (side to side) and drop (vertical) of the butt stock.  Find someone at the club that knows how and what to do.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gsc0527:
View Quote
So if I can handle the recoil from a 20 with a full and improved modified choke I should be able to handle a 12 gauge?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top