Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2020 9:02:02 PM EDT
Hello All.  Was thinking of trying my hand at match/comp shooting, with one of my 1911/45's.  Which discipline do you 1911 guys suggest?  Don't really care to be running around like a jackass, hiding behind stuff.  I reload, so ammo's not a problem.  Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you would be a good fit with the bullseye crowd.  You don’t have to run around like a jackass.  Don’t forget to put in a 9 lb recoil spring so your gun runs those bunny fart loads.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#2]
1911's do extremely well in bullseye.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Concur.  Check with your state rifle and pistol association, the Civilian Marksmanship Program, or the NRA Competitions Division.  You can find club, league, state, regional, and National Match schedules.

Civilians can earn these badges (except with pistols instead of rifles) for bullseye pistol shooting:

Attachment Attached File

Check bullseye pistol shooting in targettalk.com

Link Posted: 10/3/2020 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
People that shoot action sports like USPSA, IDPA, and 3gun are "jackasses"? Or maybe you're just a "jackass" if YOU do it...who knows. Bullseye sounds about right for you, maybe they'll allow you to use your Barcalounger to shoot from.

If you want to imply that people who participate in action shooting are "jackasses" , then by all mean...shut up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
?? Bullseye / Precision pistol. A full 2700 match runs about 4-5hrs. Laid back sport as pistol comp goes but is very difficult, too many people get frustrated and give up before giving it a chance.

You can shoot year round, we do outdoor 2700 and indoor 22 precision & postal league in winter.

Been shooting Bullseye 25yrs, one of the few shooting disciplines you actual do better as you age.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
?? Bullseye / Precision pistol. A full 2700 match runs about 4-5hrs. Laid back sport as pistol comp goes but is very difficult.

You can shoot year round, we do outdoor 2700 and indoor 22 precision & postal league in winter.

Been shooting Bullseye 25yrs, one of the few shooting disciplines you actual do better as you age.

View Quote

Tell that to my eyes.  They must have missed that memo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#7]
don't forget your group tightener flask.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#8]
CMP bullseye is good but honestly USPSA single stack or limited 10 is a lot of fun with a 1911. Single stack is 8rd mag limit for major 45 and limited 10 is good when you have your 10rd mags with a 45. I’m a big fan of the action sports like USPSA and 3gun. I’ll shoot heavy division every now and then with a colt combat unit 45 colt 901 308 and my
Mossberg 930.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:42:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I do 1911 matches at my club that mimic Jeff Cooper style courses.

Leather holsters and mag pouches, no comps, no lights

Courses are fast, low round count (10-15 rounds), short movements... basically a street fight scenario, only As count.

No warm up, first run is scored... subsequent fun runs for bragging rights... good group
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I do 1911 matches at my club that mimic Jeff Cooper style courses.

Leather holsters and mag pouches, no comps, no lights

Courses are fast, low round count (10-15 rounds), short movements... basically a street fight scenario, only As count.

No warm up, first run is scored... subsequent fun runs for bragging rights... good group
View Quote

That sounds fun, but the hapless OP can’t or won’t run, or use cover.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:07:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That sounds fun, but the hapless OP can’t or won’t run, or use cover.
View Quote

I’d guess he’s looking for bullseye shooting then.

I enjoy competitive shooting but ultimately do it to add pressure to training for work (LE for 24+)

To each his own but if you carry a gun for defense... you might wanna test your skills... don’t let ego play into it.

You really do get a different level of stress from competition in a good way.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:42:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
People that shoot action sports like USPSA, IDPA, and 3gun are "jackasses"? Or maybe you're just a "jackass" if YOU do it...who knows. Bullseye sounds about right for you, maybe they'll allow you to use your Barcalounger to shoot from.

If you want to imply that people who participate in action shooting are "jackasses" , then by all mean...shut up.
View Quote

1. Check OP’s post count and join date

2. This isn’t GD

3. Read 1 & 2 feel free to ignore thread that offends you so easily

4. If you have to reply do so in a constructive way that targets what OP is looking for.

OP,

We 3 gunners, USPSA, IPSC and IDPA competitors would probably all agree that we don’t care for people who can’t shoot our sport due to narrow mindedness.

I humbly agree bullseye, indoor league or bowling pin shoots are right up your ally.

Be safe and shoot often
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top