Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2022 11:52:27 AM EDT
I have had zero issues using small rifle primers in striker fired 9mm handguns, nor have I had any issues using the same in revolvers fired SINGLE ACTION.  But... the hammer on a double action revolver does not come back quite as far on double action as it does on single action....which I knew, and re-discovered to my chagrin at a match... shot almost the whole match single action with my Colt Trooper (old model).

So, if you plan on using small rifle primers in your double action revolver, test them shooting double action!!!

edit, changed work to word in first work of title. dryflash3
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought 5,000 Wolf Small Rifle primers one time for loading .223/5.56 ammo.

Loaded one at the start load and test fired it. Primer pierced.

Found out via an internet search that Wolf Small Rifle primers aren't compatible with one of the most popular small rifle primed cartridges in the world! (They made a Magnum and a 5.56 specific primer that does work however.)

Soooo. I loaded 4,999 rounds of 9mm with them and although they worked fine in my Glock 17, they would not consistently fire in my Taurus G3 or SAR-9 striker fired pistols.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a hard look at your breach face and at the head of the fired pistol rounds.  I tried this once, and this started happening to my breachface (file photo off the internets)

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You’ll start burning a ring in your breech face. Small rifle primer cups are harder than small pistol primer cups. The pressure generated from a pistol caliber isn’t higher enough to cause the cup to seal off the primer pocket. This allows hot gas/burning gun powder to get buy and cut a ring in the breech face.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow! I can't tell you how many sleeves of those I've shot in my pistols but they were bought 12-15 years ago and left no marks on my pistols.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 5:44:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You’ll start burning a ring in your breech face. Small rifle primer cups are harder than small pistol primer cups. The pressure generated from a pistol caliber isn’t higher enough to cause the cup to seal off the primer pocket. This allows hot gas/burning gun powder to get buy and cut a ring in the breech face.
View Quote

I have only used small rifle primers in 9x23mm Winchester, so I haven’t observed this phenomenon.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know about wolf primers. But I've used CCI 400's for several years and many thousands of rounds.

Close to 9k through one pistol to be exact. Actually have a new barrel on order for that pistol.

The breach face looks just fine in all my pistols. Including a QC10 SBR, which has a couple thousand through it.

Sounds like more of a combination of things causing your problem rather than just a primer problem.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#7]
That pitting is only going to happen if the pockets are loose.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I highly doubt that breechface pitting was caused by using SRP.  I use SRP all the time and have had zero issues in my HK and Sig pistols.  

Letting you in on a little secret...

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#9]
If your handguns reliably ignite Small Pistol MAGNUM primers, they should reliably ignite Small Rifle STANDARD primers.
In many brands the two types are virtually identical.
If your handgun does not reliably ignite Small Pistol MAGNUM primers, then there's likely a problem with that pistol.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That pitting is only going to happen if the pockets are loose.
View Quote

Loose pockets generally do not cause primer cup leakage. The static contact pressure of the cup to the pocket is insignificant compared to the 10’s of thousands of pounds of pressure in the chamber. It is that chamber pressure which presses on the sides of the primer cup sealing it to the primer pocket walls.

Cases that have rough, dirty or corroded primer pocket walls can cause primer cup leaks. Lower pressure rounds can make it worse.

Loose pockets cause primers to fall out when cycling the action. This can cause malfunctions and jams when they fall into the action. Primer crimps are used to ensure this does not happen in military cartridges.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cases that have rough, dirty or corroded primer pocket walls can cause primer cup leaks. Lower pressure rounds can make it worse.
View Quote

Rough and corroded pockets = loose pockets.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Take a hard look at your breach face and at the head of the fired pistol rounds.  I tried this once, and this started happening to my breachface (file photo off the internets)

https://content.invisioncic.com/r270761/monthly_2019_07/erosion1.jpg.30f2e5aede39d77dc91be66005a1d576.jpg
View Quote

Winchester large pistol primers

They blow out at the corners, especially with REM brass that has a more radiused primer pocket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top