Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
A buddy of mine had an early run 556. I shot it and liked it but I never liked it enough to go away from an AR. Some of the design features just didn’t do it for me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I just bid on one over at GunBroker.  Hopefully I didn't bid too high.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Sig Has ADHD.

while maybe not as simple as that, Sig over the past decade has developed a pattern of developing a platform, not supporting such a platform, and dropping support for that platform when sales begin to lag.

its happened when the Sig556 became the Sig 556xi and was dropped
its happening now with the Sig 716 when they went to the G2 platform, which will eventually be dropped for the 7.62 MCX

while i like sig, I am hesitant to jump into another sig platform.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
SIG does "planned obsolescence" very well. Combined with their ability to source low-cost MIM parts from India, it makes for a revenue-generating business model, as long as people think their products are desirable.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]
They sure burned me.  I finally bought in when the classic came out.   Looked enough like the rifle I wanted and looked like they were finally on track to make something decent.  I liked the rifle a lot.  Yeah, it's a touch heavier than the AR but that was not much of a problem to me.  My wife actually liked shooting it a bit more too.  It's weight reduced the recoil and she was sensitive to that as well as the AR's gas-in-face.  I ultimately traded away the other AR-15's and stuck with the 556.  Then shortly after SIG did what SIG does.  Drops the line and leaves you stranded.  Looks like I will need to pick up a used one as a spare parts source if I wan't to keep it and I do want to keep it.  It out shot my other AR's and I like the trigger.

I think if SIG had just started with the classic or the xi rather than redesigning the thing 15 times over they could have kept the rifle in the line-up and not pissed half the buyers off with that early abortion of a shit-pile they made.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discontinuing the 55X series rifles here in the US was very disappointing. My early 556 is a great shooter. I suspect the real reason for canceling production was a cost issue. I know that the Swiss made rifles were very, very pricey.

Found this in my photo library and thought I would share it. This is Saturday morning and these two young Swiss female soldiers cycling down a country road on their way to target practice.

Link Posted: 2/16/2018 2:43:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Sig 556 SWAT version I bought new back in January of 2008. Mine's a good shooter, and I've had no issues with it.
I ran close to 5000rds before I decided to thoroughly clean it. Never had any feeding, ejecting issues. Gun just runs and runs.
So I bought a P556 and SBR's it. Great shooter but a bit loud with the short barrel, but it also just runs again and again.

Taken at least 3 rifle classes with the rifle. Get alot of BS about the weight, and other haters comments. But, I watched their cheap AR's go down.
Me I just changed mags and shoot. End of class, nobody said shit about my 556.

So what does Sig do, drop support, period. No parts, no nothing. I won't but another Sig rifle, ever.

I do love their pistols, and own several. At least they support them.......for now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got into them - as I tripped over one at a good price.  A 556 pistol that I have a side folding SB brace with and its surprisingly comfortable.

I will SBR it if I can find a lower with Swiss stock for reasonable - but I love this little gun.  Always wanted a 55X series especially the short versions and this is great.  Now I want a 556R (Classic style) not XI and finish it in Swiss Gray Cerakote.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Because Sig hates us.  They really just wanted to make a modular rifle, and the 556XI was far from modular, as they claimed it was.  I liked it more than the MCX, but the MCX was more along the lines Sig was looking for.  Oh well.  If they had just ditched the damned rear charging handle for the MCX I'd be able to get behind it more, but that's the AR15's worst feature.  Why keep it in a new rifle?
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#10]
My first rifle was a sig 522, I wish I picked up a sig 556 but alas I guess it will be soon featured on Forgotten weapons probably
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#11]
The buttpad started to disintegrate while sitting in my safe.  I've never seen anything like this happen to any other firearm...  With that said, where can I get the replacement "short" pads?
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#12]
a lot of the Remington super squishy pads seem to melt if in contact with something hard, particularly in the heat.

You may want to call these guys up and ask, you may have a really hard time finding a part.  Your best shot may be finding someone who is using the long pad and willing to sell the short.

https://www.gatewoodsupplyco.com/
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 4:22:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SIG does "planned obsolescence" very well. Combined with their ability to source low-cost MIM parts from India, it makes for a revenue-generating business model, as long as people think their products are desirable.
View Quote
It's true parts are made in India, I can't believe they still slap " manufactured in the United States" stickers on boxes and cases. Sig Sauer will be like Remington in 20 years. Sigs reputation will go down the gutter like Remington. They must be taking ques from Remington, Cutting corners on quality just to increase bottom line profit margin. Keep it up and they will be bankrupt.

Here's a link on a sig 716 ambi mag release,
look at the country of origin mfg.

http://www.krollcorp.com/5C0B81F1-5570-42D1-8998-EF391ED8F9A0
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Indo-MIM (in India) has been one of SIG Sauer's major parts suppliers since CEO Cohen directed efforts away from much of their cast construction starting in 2005
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Indo-MIM (in India) has been one of SIG Sauer's major parts suppliers since CEO Cohen directed efforts away from much of their cast construction starting in 2005
View Quote

Cohen has done a lot for Sig USA.....but maintaining quality across the board definitely isn't one of them. 
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Cohen has done a lot for Sig USA.....but maintaining quality across the board definitely isn't one of them. 
View Quote
So very true.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just got into them - as I tripped over one at a good price.  A 556 pistol that I have a side folding SB brace with and its surprisingly comfortable.

I will SBR it if I can find a lower with Swiss stock for reasonable - but I love this little gun.  Always wanted a 55X series especially the short versions and this is great.  Now I want a 556R (Classic style) not XI and finish it in Swiss Gray Cerakote.
View Quote
Can you steer me to the 556 folding SB brace source?
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The buttpad started to disintegrate while sitting in my safe.  I've never seen anything like this happen to any other firearm...  With that said, where can I get the replacement "short" pads?
View Quote
Same thing happened to the butt pad on my 522. No way to replace it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:20:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I too have a 556 and a 551-A1 that I've never fired.

Maybe someday I'll have a go with them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 6:24:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
No comprendo.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I put a law-tactical folder hinge on the pistol which had an AR15 style tube thread in the rear of the lower.  Then use a common AR pistol buffer tube into the hinge.  put any style brace or blade on the tube.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No comprendo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No comprendo.
My 551-A1 is also unfired.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I've fired my 551 a lot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#24]
If I could source a spare bolt and barrel, I'd start shooting my 556R SBR a lot more.

Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#25]
That gave me a warm feeling
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Thats just mean..
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 4:00:59 AM EDT
[#27]
As close as I'll get to the real thing.  Managed to accumulate about 40 mags pre Sandy Hook.  20 and 30 rounders.

Recently took it to a familiarization fire at a course for students to get behind.  Don't see many in the wild.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I was bummed when they killed the 556 in favor of the Xwhatever but thought the idea of caliber kits and everything was cool. Then they killed those.

I bought a 556 SBR but now wish I would have just held out for the MCX. Hopefully they won’t kill those too soon.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No comprendo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No comprendo.
Me no shootee my Sig 556, and Sig 551-A1 yeti.

Link Posted: 4/14/2018 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was bummed when they killed the 556 in favor of the Xwhatever but thought the idea of caliber kits and everything was cool. Then they killed those.

I bought a 556 SBR but now wish I would have just held out for the MCX. Hopefully they won’t kill those too soon.
View Quote
I'm in the same boat as you. Waiting on stamp now for the MCX. Hoping nothing ever breaks on the 556. Need to find a used one for spare parts.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 1:25:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I spoke with a SIG rep at a demo today...  As I was checking out the MPX and MCX table he approached me and asked if I wanted to shoot them.  I said I was overly cautious because I didn't want to get hooked and "need" to buy one - only to be left out in the cold when the parts kits dry up.  Then I told him about my two 556s and the lack of parts...

He told me he's in the same boat.  Apparently they can source random bits from somewhere, but the parts kits are looonnnnggg gone and won't be coming back.

So, for 556 owners that have shot them enough to wear stuff out - what have you needed to replace?  I might need to call Exeter.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#32]
I wouldn't hate Sig so much if they hadn't have put the AR15 "T" charging handle on the MCX.  That's the AR15's worst feature on a rifle with generally good ergonomics.  Why keep the thing most people hate the most?  Side charge is love, side charge is life.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Inexpensive, easily modified, parts everywhere, AR15 type rifles killed the Sig; The Sig 556 is still a great rifle!
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here you go: Swiss folding buffer tube adapter @ JDI.

It's expensive, but it's the real SAN one, and will probably outlive the rifle.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the SB Tactical SOB brace almost exactly duplicates the LOP and height of the original Swiss stock.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I like the Sig 556 a lot, have several and parts. Always buying parts.  Its accurate, takes AR mags, robust and dependable. Always the fat chick of a gathering(Shes heavy) but damn Im addicted. Sig screwed everyone on this platform. Made us like it and then dumped support. Screw Sig.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:26:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I too have a 551A1. I bought it summer of 2012. I have shot it, but not much as I didnt have much 5.56 ammo at the time. That was the most expensive gun I have ever bought at the time, my CZ bren outdid it by $20. I got one of the experimental 550 bayonets from robertrtg.com. Sadly, it doesn't fit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I SBRed my 556 Pistol and still have it.

I have two complaints:

1) It's heavy for an SBR. (Minor)
2) SIG stopped supporting it. (More important)

Outside of that, it's incredibly reliable and one of the softest shooting guns I own. I really like it a lot. Put a Samson front end on it, diopter sights, folding stock and a red dot.

I own two guns that are now unsupported platforms. The 556 and an MSAR E4. I really like both, but have also learned a valuable lesson from each. They will never be considered SHTF worthy for the obvious reason that spares don't exist.

That said, they're by no means my only guns so that isn't a big factor at all. Both are excellent guns.
View Quote
Good taste. I have almost the exact same 556 SBR setup, and an MSAR E4 also. Same experience as yours, and I enjoy shooting both.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I got one of the experimental 550 bayonets from robertrtg.com. Sadly, it doesn't fit.
View Quote
What's an experimental 550 bayonet, and why doesn't it fit?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Seems like they were all the rage several years ago, then they dropped off the face of the earth?  I handled a friend's and shot it, liked it very much.  What happened to make Sig quit making them?
View Quote
The quality thay went into them sucked. It was the same quality that went into my 522, which AS a .22LR is fine. But for a 5.56mm rifle....

that sucked.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sig Has ADHD.

while maybe not as simple as that, Sig over the past decade has developed a pattern of developing a platform, not supporting such a platform, and dropping support for that platform when sales begin to lag.

its happened when the Sig556 became the Sig 556xi and was dropped
its happening now with the Sig 716 when they went to the G2 platform, which will eventually be dropped for the 7.62 MCX

while i like sig, I am hesitant to jump into another sig platform.
View Quote
Ron Cohen
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's true parts are made in India, I can't believe they still slap " manufactured in the United States" stickers on boxes and cases. Sig Sauer will be like Remington in 20 years. Sigs reputation will go down the gutter like Remington. They must be taking ques from Remington, Cutting corners on quality just to increase bottom line profit margin. Keep it up and they will be bankrupt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are following the gospel according to Ron Cohen.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The quality thay went into them sucked. It was the same quality that went into my 522, which AS a .22LR is fine. But for a 5.56mm rifle....

https://i.imgur.com/dnGKXfT.jpg

that sucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems like they were all the rage several years ago, then they dropped off the face of the earth?  I handled a friend's and shot it, liked it very much.  What happened to make Sig quit making them?

that sucked.
I like my 522
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If I could source a spare bolt and barrel, I'd start shooting my 556R SBR a lot more.

http://i59.tinypic.com/11wfwog.jpg
View Quote
The first time I saw a 556/556R SBR I wanted one. I have both rifles and my original plan was to buy a P556 and SBR it with an extra lower that I have, BUT Sig screwed us and the P556 prices shot through the roof and I had to give up on that idea.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

that sucked.
View Quote
I don't see poor quality in my 556 for anything that really matters.

The furniture is about all that seemed like shitty quality to me. The stuff that matters appears to be well made.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I thought it was supposed to be a semi-auto-only 550/551 with a lower redesigned to take AR mags.  I guess the changes were more substantial than that?
View Quote
People didn't like the franken-AR stock on it.  They wanted the folding 55x stock.  By the time Sig got around to putting a 55x stock on it, people were done.

It also lacked the overall look of the 55x series, looking like the bastard child of a 55x and AR.  And it was a heavy SOB for what it was.

Good shooting gun though.  Front heavy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have a Sig 556 SWAT version I bought new back in January of 2008. Mine's a good shooter, and I've had no issues with it.
I ran close to 5000rds before I decided to thoroughly clean it. Never had any feeding, ejecting issues. Gun just runs and runs.
So I bought a P556 and SBR's it. Great shooter but a bit loud with the short barrel, but it also just runs again and again.

Taken at least 3 rifle classes with the rifle. Get alot of BS about the weight, and other haters comments. But, I watched their cheap AR's go down.
Me I just changed mags and shoot. End of class, nobody said shit about my 556.

So what does Sig do, drop support, period. No parts, no nothing. I won't but another Sig rifle, ever.

I do love their pistols, and own several. At least they support them.......for now.
View Quote
I own several SIG pistols and shoot the hell out of them all and they've all been excellent in reliability and accuracy, but the company no longer supports my German X series pistols which cost me an arm and a leg and which have run up significant round counts.

The company promised to move production of the pistols and spare parts to the US but they went back on their word leaving me with "orphan" pistols that cost thousands of dollars each.

I don't trust SIG to offer long term product support which is why I'm damned glad I didn't pick up the 556xi I wanted since they walked away from it.

Although every SIG I've owned has been truly exemplary I'm hesitant to buy any more of them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Man, I want a 551A1 so bad.  OMB guns (before they got in trouble) were blowing them out for $800.  I should have bought a ton, but money was tight as I was EASing.

Then one popped up for sale somewhat locally, but I couldn't squeeze the cash at the time.

I have a thing for the "dead ends" of weapon evolution.

Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#48]
They nailed the P556 and 556 SBR...I have one...have had many Sig 556 rifles...they never failed on me.

I am keeping my P556 with a brace forever...believe it or not...optics planet had some spare parts that I picked up for it.

The barrels were actually made very well for these guns...both the CHF and the Nitrided versions.

But ultimately it faield because the AR market was at its peak with all the tactical ninja mods you can have....I bet the Sig 556 now would do much better in sales because everyone is so tired of ARs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Everyone says they're so tired of ARs, but statistically ARs sell the best by far. It was the same when the SIG 556 first came out.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Everyone says they're so tired of ARs, but statistically ARs sell the best by far. It was the same when the SIG 556 first came out.
View Quote
Gun people are not the same as the gun buying masses
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top