Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/20/2017 4:00:18 PM EDT
Seems like they were all the rage several years ago, then they dropped off the face of the earth?  I handled a friend's and shot it, liked it very much.  What happened to make Sig quit making them?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#1]
sales probably weren't THAT good, considering people expected a Sig 55x series rifle and got a pseudo-AR abortion.

I was waiting, cash in hand, for a 550/551 rifle and when that came out I was extremely let down.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought it was supposed to be a semi-auto-only 550/551 with a lower redesigned to take AR mags.  I guess the changes were more substantial than that?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats what SIG intended it to be, most people that were looking forward to it were hoping for a classic 55x series rifle
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
My 556 is just fine in the safe. She sees daylight once in a while.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 16" Classic with green furniture and collapsible stock that you see with the Swiss military on occasion. I also have a factory SBR.  As long as I don't shoot any of my Geissele equipped ARs before hand I don't mind the triggers. LOL 

Both guns have been great. I even ran the rifle in a carbine class a few years ago. Sure they aren't actual SAN SG55x models, but I don't have the $3k those command. 

It sucks that SIG USA abandoned the platform...  it's now impossible to find parts kits. The aftermarket support wasn't great either. That being said, I love my 556s and will definitely hang onto them. 
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the 556 platform failed because it had reached an evolutionary dead end and couldn't compete a world of cheaper, more customizable ARs, and In the end Sig declined to support it because they had moved onto the next big thing, the MPX and MCX.

I honestly don't think that people wanting but not getting a Swiss 55x clone had that much of an impact in the end.  Because of 922r, we weren't going to get a Swiss 55x, and the people who owned real 55xs were never going to accept anything Sig USA came out with because they had to justify their now $10K+ babies as being superior and worth every penny.  Also, the masses really weren't clamoring for a 55x clone, and had little interest in a gun that took proprietary mags that were, at the time, scarce and expensive.  Making the 556 lower take AR mags probably increased sales and made it last longer than it would have otherwise IMHO.  My take on the whole story is:

For both the masses and the 55x fanbois, Sig started off badly.  The initial 556 was visually unappealing with an AR stock and a heavy, ugly fishgill stock.  Worse, there were QC problems with some having canted top rails, which was a problem with the serial numbered upper, not the removable rail.  

After all the griping by the fanbois that they really wanted a 55x clone, Sig came out with the Classic with the Swiss stock, and a handguard similar to the Swiss 551 handguard.  They also improved the QC a bit, although there were still a few issues.  That helped with the fans, but for many, it was never going to be Swiss enough, no matter what.  For the masses, they saw a gun that was proprietary, not very customizable, and more expensive than the ARs that were flooding the post-ban world.  The Classic stock, although foldable, was proprietary, fixed length, and had a low comb because it was originally made for the Swiss guns that had a low profile rear sight welded to the top of the receiver instead of tall removable sight on a rail added to the top of the 556 receiver.  Speaking of the sights, the 556 had a tall hooded front sight that interfered with optics and couldn't easily be changed out for something else since it was attached by a proprietary dovetail to the top of the gas block.  Most people decided that they preferred an AR to the 556.  Aside from being cheaper, there was tons of aftermarket available for the ARs, while very little was out there for the 556.

Next, Sig came out with the 551A1, which was finally close to the 55x clone that people said they wanted, but it was a bit of a flop.  Fanbois had already rejected anything from Sig USA as being inferior, and for the rest, it was a 556 Classic with all of the negative issues with the added bonus of only taking more expensive proprietary mag.

Finally, Sig tried to update the platform for the masses with the 556xi.  It fixed some of the issues by having a monolithic top rail, which allowed the use of any rail mounted sight for the front sight, and adding a removable cheekpiece to the Classic stock, which fixed the cheekweld issue, but the gun could no longer be fired with the stock folded because the cheekpiece blocked the ejection port.  No one knows if the 556xi would have been more popular because at this point, Sig shot themselves in the foot (and everywhere else).  Sig advertised the xi as a modular platform.  Two problems with that.  One, the xi didn't have a quick change barrel, so caliber conversions weren't any easier that swapping barrels on an AR.  The xi had a proprietary barrel nut, which Sig never sold the wrench for, but it didn't matter since Sig never sold any of the other promised barrels anyway.  Second there were few actual "modular" options (only two handguards, for example), and even at that hardly anything promised was ever made available for sale by Sig.  By this time, everyone had just given up, including Sig, and the 556 series just died on the vine without even getting an official obituary.

Ultimately, the 556 series just didn't offer enough to make it competive in a world where the AR reigned king.  They can be decent guns, but for a lot of reasons, including many caused by Sig themselves, it never worked out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the write-up.  That took time, and I appreciate it.

I liked the 556 I shot, shame it didn't work out for Sig.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the write-up.  That took time, and I appreciate it.

I liked the 556 I shot, shame it didn't work out for Sig.
View Quote
It's their own fault... and now they expect people to buy the MCX and MPX. No thanks, not with their track record. 
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I made my 556Pistol an SBR almost as soon as I got it and yes i'm very disappointed I have a platform that has almost no support but such is life.

It was never going to be my "go to" gun like the 30 or so other rifles I have but I sure as heck wouldn't be worried if it was because it works every time I use it.  

It didn't stop me from buying the MPX and immediately making that an SBR and I'm glad I did because it is the funnest gun to shoot and like the 556 it works every time.

Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Recently picked up a 556ER for $400 cash. Safe queen. The guy needed the money (divorce). It's a heavy AR that is very accurate. Nothing special really.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#11]
They must have had Tapco advise them on aesthetics.  As originally shipped, it looked cheezy as hell.  I treated mine like a dirty diaper, until my imported Sig handguards came in, and replaced that fugly stock.

The scope rail looks like something a chinese version of B-Square would sell, and the fact that the factory rear sight had to be purchased separately for an exorbitant amount (and had insufficient adjustment range when you got it)....   Ughh.

They screwed the pooch.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:34:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a 556 sbr and a 553 sbr and the 556 is garbage by comparison. Shouldn't of even bothered.

It's not the design that makes the 55x Swiss guns great, it's the execution and quality control.

Nothing compares and in this day and age nothing ever will.

Signed fanboy
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They must have had Tapco advise them on aesthetics.  As originally shipped, it looked cheezy as hell.  I treated mine like a dirty diaper, until my imported Sig handguards came in, and replaced that fugly stock.

The scope rail looks like something a chinese version of B-Square would sell, and the fact that the factory rear sight had to be purchased separately for an exorbitant amount (and had insufficient adjustment range when you got it)....   Ughh.

They screwed the pooch.
View Quote
On mine I went with the Samson front and rear sights. I'm looking for the Swiss hand guards to get rid of the abortion that is the fish gill hand guards on it now. I ditched the crap AR stock for a Mil Spec Magpul ACS I had sitting around. Slapped an Aimpoint PRO on it as well. With the Swiss hand guards, it will look better, that is if I can find a set.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a 556 sbr and a 553 sbr and the 556 is garbage by comparison. Shouldn't of even bothered.

It's not the design that makes the 55x Swiss guns great, it's the execution and quality control.

Nothing compares and in this day and age nothing ever will.

Signed fanboy
View Quote
I should hope the 553 is better. It probably cost three times a much as the 556!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#15]
i had a classic swat and it was heavy, no brass deflector and a pencil profile barrel so i sold it. in retrospect, i wouldn't mind having another one just to have one but Sig was competing with the AR and it was doomed to fail.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the 556 Classic and the 556R. Both have been great rifles. Never had any malfunctions with either rifle. I had some .223 rounds I had reloaded that didn't pass final inspection for use in the matches I shoot. I knew they would cause malfunctions in an AR, so I set them aside to be pulled later. Just out of curiosity I went to the range with my 556 just to see how well it would perform. Zero malfunctions. I trust it more than my AR's.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#17]
They should have launched the 551-A1 at the same time.  Lots of people wanted clones of the originals, not Americanized bullshit.

I consider the 556 a disgusting endeavor.  The 551A1 is ok, but quality leaves much to be desired.

Swing and a miss, Sig.  I literally only own it because it looks cool.  Hell, Finslayer83 is the one that sighted it in.  I didn't even like it enough to adjust the sights.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Once you get one they are harder to get rid of than an ex wife. You hear the same thing. "Oh man thats cool..." then nothing. I would consider mine the worst gun mistake I have made. It's heavy and shoots wonderfully but it's HEAVY. and the fact I can't fold down the front sight on mine is annoying
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:32:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Once you get one they are harder to get rid of than an ex wife. You hear the same thing. "Oh man thats cool..." then nothing. I would consider mine the worst gun mistake I have made. It's heavy and shoots wonderfully but it's HEAVY. and the fact I can't fold down the front sight on mine is annoying
View Quote
You can get aftermarket sights that fold down.  The weight, well yeah.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I wanted the 556xi Russian before they discontinued them. The charging handle could be swapped to the left side. If I could find one for a steal I'd probably grab one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Recently picked up a 556ER for $400 cash. Safe queen. The guy needed the money (divorce). It's a heavy AR that is very accurate. Nothing special really.
View Quote
They're nothing like an AR.

They're an a very beefed up AK if anything.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I SBRed my 556 Pistol and still have it.

I have two complaints:

1) It's heavy for an SBR. (Minor)
2) SIG stopped supporting it. (More important)

Outside of that, it's incredibly reliable and one of the softest shooting guns I own. I really like it a lot. Put a Samson front end on it, diopter sights, folding stock and a red dot. 

I own two guns that are now unsupported platforms. The 556 and an MSAR E4. I really like both, but have also learned a valuable lesson from each. They will never be considered SHTF worthy for the obvious reason that spares don't exist. 

That said, they're by no means my only guns so that isn't a big factor at all. Both are excellent guns.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#23]
One of my PLs had one. He let me shoot it when I ran into him on the range. I thought it was well made but heavy. I can see where it was going to be a losing effort for SIG.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I have what I believe is a classic patrol I bought NIB. IMHO it is as reliable as an AK and almost as accurate as a AR15. It also has the preferred AR15 controls. I have 2000 mil surp trouble free rounds thru it. I guess I have the longer piston and folding stock. Yes it is heavier then a AR15. But for me if I could only keep one rifle for SHTF it would be my Sig 556. I am very happy with mine. I believe I paid $995 for mine 7 or 8 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have what I believe is a classic patrol I bought NIB. IMHO it is as reliable as an AK and almost as accurate as a AR15. It also has the preferred AR15 controls. I have 2000 mil surp trouble free rounds thru it. I guess I have the longer piston and folding stock. Yes it is heavier then a AR15. But for me if I could only keep one rifle for SHTF it would be my Sig 556. I am very happy with mine. I believe I paid $995 for mine 7 or 8 years ago.
View Quote
I sure wouldn't feel under gunned with my 556SBR as my only carbine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a SAN 553 and 551LB and they are superb quality..basically Swiss made AKs in 223, they rarely break.  Having said that, I had a 551A1 and I thought it wasnt a bad gun at all. Not as polished as the SAN version but certainly workable. If I were on a limited budget, I would be fine with having one.  As far as parts..most Swiss 550/551 parts will interchange other than the trunnion/barrels. You can buy spare bolts etc from Gatewood Supply amoung others.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think the 556 platform failed because it had reached an evolutionary dead end and couldn't compete a world of cheaper, more customizable ARs, and In the end Sig declined to support it because they had moved onto the next big thing, the MPX and MCX.

I honestly don't think that people wanting but not getting a Swiss 55x clone had that much of an impact in the end.  Because of 922r, we weren't going to get a Swiss 55x, and the people who owned real 55xs were never going to accept anything Sig USA came out with because they had to justify their now $10K+ babies as being superior and worth every penny.  Also, the masses really weren't clamoring for a 55x clone, and had little interest in a gun that took proprietary mags that were, at the time, scarce and expensive.  Making the 556 lower take AR mags probably increased sales and made it last longer than it would have otherwise IMHO.  My take on the whole story is:

For both the masses and the 55x fanbois, Sig started off badly.  The initial 556 was visually unappealing with an AR stock and a heavy, ugly fishgill stock.  Worse, there were QC problems with some having canted top rails, which was a problem with the serial numbered upper, not the removable rail.  

After all the griping by the fanbois that they really wanted a 55x clone, Sig came out with the Classic with the Swiss stock, and a handguard similar to the Swiss 551 handguard.  They also improved the QC a bit, although there were still a few issues.  That helped with the fans, but for many, it was never going to be Swiss enough, no matter what.  For the masses, they saw a gun that was proprietary, not very customizable, and more expensive than the ARs that were flooding the post-ban world.  The Classic stock, although foldable, was proprietary, fixed length, and had a low comb because it was originally made for the Swiss guns that had a low profile rear sight welded to the top of the receiver instead of tall removable sight on a rail added to the top of the 556 receiver.  Speaking of the sights, the 556 had a tall hooded front sight that interfered with optics and couldn't easily be changed out for something else since it was attached by a proprietary dovetail to the top of the gas block.  Most people decided that they preferred an AR to the 556.  Aside from being cheaper, there was tons of aftermarket available for the ARs, while very little was out there for the 556.

Next, Sig came out with the 551A1, which was finally close to the 55x clone that people said they wanted, but it was a bit of a flop.  Fanbois had already rejected anything from Sig USA as being inferior, and for the rest, it was a 556 Classic with all of the negative issues with the added bonus of only taking more expensive proprietary mag.

Finally, Sig tried to update the platform for the masses with the 556xi.  It fixed some of the issues by having a monolithic top rail, which allowed the use of any rail mounted sight for the front sight, and adding a removable cheekpiece to the Classic stock, which fixed the cheekweld issue, but the gun could no longer be fired with the stock folded because the cheekpiece blocked the ejection port.  No one knows if the 556xi would have been more popular because at this point, Sig shot themselves in the foot (and everywhere else).  Sig advertised the xi as a modular platform.  Two problems with that.  One, the xi didn't have a quick change barrel, so caliber conversions weren't any easier that swapping barrels on an AR.  The xi had a proprietary barrel nut, which Sig never sold the wrench for, but it didn't matter since Sig never sold any of the other promised barrels anyway.  Second there were few actual "modular" options (only two handguards, for example), and even at that hardly anything promised was ever made available for sale by Sig.  By this time, everyone had just given up, including Sig, and the 556 series just died on the vine without even getting an official obituary.

Ultimately, the 556 series just didn't offer enough to make it competive in a world where the AR reigned king.  They can be decent guns, but for a lot of reasons, including many caused by Sig themselves, it never worked out.
View Quote
That in a nutshell. SIG 551A1 was too little too late. I do believe a SG551 at $1800 would have sold. Tavors and SCARs are selling well at roughly similar price points. Also, the Swiss make SG 553s with STANG magazine wells.

Check page 17 here.

Now the steel lowers are gone and all 55* come with AL lowers if I am not mistaken, so they don't look as pretty. But I imagine that cuts costs a bit. I know it will annoy purists, but I'd think the STANG versions being the standard with a price range of $1800 would be a decent seller. Those who want the regular lower could buy it off the website, since the upper is serialized. And they can always occasionally sell the classic lower complete rifle, but the majority can be the STANG version.

But I think that is too late for any of this though. The MCX seems excellent, but if they had done the above back in the early 2000s it probably would have been decently popular. It would pre-date the new MP5 clones, SCAR, new AUGs, Tavor, and other recent semi autos.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#28]
If Sig had, earlier on in the game, brought out the sig 55x in the classic format but taking stanag mags.......it would have been able to establish itself.

BUT.

By the time Sig got with the game, it was too late.  Interesting rifle, I've shot one of the earlier sig556s someone brought to the range.  It was heavy, but I liked how it shot.  Too expensive when they came out at that time though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Perfectly summed up!  (It wouldn't let me quote it all).  I have a 551a1 that has never jammed and in the current world we live in my SHTF rifle.  Love it!  Now in a TEOTWAWKI situation it would get left behind as I grab my AR on the way out the door because spare parts will be everywhere for the AR.  I'm tempted to pick up a 7.62 XI to SBR when I see them but there were just too many problems with them and Sig won't service them.  It's a shame the way they abandoned the platform.

If Swiss SAN imported a real 551 rifle with welded on diopter sights for $2500 +- I would snatch one up.  Unfortunately most people want a cheap AR or if willing to pay want a more modern SCAR type design.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Well,I have one of the early release 556's with a Samson quad rail and an Elcan red dot on it.Recently added an Ace folder.Heavy?Sure,but reliable and accurate too.Besides,I'm kinda big,so I can do heavy,makes it steady.Never had a malfunction ever.Got lots of ARs and SCARs but I still like my Sig 556 pretty good.Gonna keep it until I take a dirt nap.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's their own fault... and now they expect people to buy the MCX and MPX. No thanks, not with their track record. 
View Quote
When they choose to not support the products they made which they no longer make, how can anyone count on long term support for the current models they are pushing.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I thought it was supposed to be a semi-auto-only 550/551 with a lower redesigned to take AR mags.  I guess the changes were more substantial than that?
View Quote
I was just helping a guy out the other day showing him how to disassemble and reassemble it down to the gas system.

Looked like a SiG 550 top end to me.

I have some experience working with SiG 550, 551, and 552 blasters overseas, select fire ones.

They're well-built rifles with very nice metallurgy and finish from the Swiss.

The gas tube and plug are a little wench to get back in though if you haven't done it in 10 years.

The 552 has a different spring guide and spring IIRC, but the longer 551 and 550 are like the SiG 556 from what I recall.

The barrels, BCGs, and receivers are beautiful on the Swiss rifles.  I would love to see a Swiss AR15 made with the same barrel steel, bore, and grey metal finish on the receivers.

551 and 552
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only 2 things common on the SiG 556 that I could see are the AR magazine compatible mag well and the mag release button.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a SIG 551-A1 and it's a great shooter and built like a tank....including its weight. Regardless, it's a like a fine tuned AK and recoil is next to nothing. Luckily I bought a doaor it as those ar seemingly rare as hens teeth nowadays.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Perfectly summed up!  (It wouldn't let me quote it all).  I have a 551a1 that has never jammed and in the current world we live in my SHTF rifle.  Love it!  Now in a TEOTWAWKI situation it would get left behind as I grab my AR on the way out the door because spare parts will be everywhere for the AR.  I'm tempted to pick up a 7.62 XI to SBR when I see them but there were just too many problems with them and Sig won't service them.  It's a shame the way they abandoned the platform.

If Swiss SAN imported a real 551 rifle with welded on diopter sights for $2500 +- I would snatch one up.  Unfortunately most people want a cheap AR or if willing to pay want a more modern SCAR type design.
View Quote
You could have gotten a 551 pistol from JDI for $3450. You can order a 553 Long barrel pistol from them to your spec for $3250.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup.  I'll keep my 556R, but I won't waste money on another SIG "hot new rifle" that they'll stop making/supporting in 3 or 4 years when they move on to the next "hot new rifle".

After shooting my 556R I was intent on getting my wife either a 556 or a 516 but then SIG got all confused and couldn't figure out what to make, what to support, which direction to go next and I just built her an AR15.  I can get parts for those.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yup.  I'll keep my 556R, but I won't waste money on another SIG "hot new rifle" that they'll stop making/supporting in 3 or 4 years when they move on to the next "hot new rifle".

After shooting my 556R I was intent on getting my wife either a 556 or a 516 but then SIG got all confused and couldn't figure out what to make, what to support, which direction to go next and I just built her an AR15.  I can get parts for those.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.

Learned that lesson from my 556 & MSAR E4.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#38]
My 556 Classic is the most expensive, softest shooting AK I own , from paying too much at the initial release (yeah everyone wanted one, me included), swapped out the fuggly classic stock with an imported SAN stock, replaced the safety lever and pistol grip, and finally MFI sight...Oh well, could be worse I supposed

I was on a train from northern Italy to Zurich, and a bunch of swiss troops got on.  They all carried the SG550 and I can truly see why we hated the American albatross 556!  Those real 550s were so pretty, I was drooling!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Big, balky and overpriced.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I had two of the swat ones and two spare part kits. I gave one to my nephew and still have one in the safe. They are very well made and reliable, but they weren’t different enough to survive. He still shoots his often and hasn’t had to open the spares kit yet. Which is good because they are rare nowadays.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 5:30:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like I dodged a bullet. I had a guy wanting to trade me a like new 556 Classic for a P30 I had listed. When I went looking for spare parts I couldn't find anything for the 556. I ultimately decided to pass. Shame too, when these first came out I really wanted one. I never got around to buying one. there are a lot of rifles that I like but support for them seems so limited it is not worth moving away from the AR platform.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#42]
the first guns had excellent machining, some questionable design changes from the original and crappy plastic parts.

With the XI they eventually fixed most of the design issues and put better plastic on them, but the quality of the metal work went down.

all of them had poorly chosen metal sights that were either the wrong height or made out of crap or both.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Sig should of just import thousands of Swiss made 551 pistols when they got here put a muzzle extension, slap some usa made parts and call it done.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#44]
I bought a 551-A1 a few years back when the price was somewhat reasonable.  Still haven't fired the damn thing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I bought a 551-A1 a few years back when the price was somewhat reasonable.  Still haven't fired the damn thing.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145343/DSC_0044-398635.JPG
View Quote
Oh, so nice.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I regret trading my Sig 556R
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sig should of just import thousands of Swiss made 551 pistols when they got here put a muzzle extension, slap some usa made parts and call it done.
View Quote
Completely agree.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#48]
JDI in TX imported a batch of Swiss 551 pistols recently. They were quite expensive. Same for the Swiss 553 pistols when SIG Sauer USA did it.

The US market doesn't consume such high priced firearms fast enough for their taste, and I'm sure the profit margin was better on the 556 also.

The MCX is even less expensive to produce. Most of it is CNC machined aluminum, and MIM small parts, so there are no steel stampings like the older rifles.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I owned on when they first came out.  The ban had recently ended so I was excited to get one.  Shot great very reliable refined AK design but WAY to heavy.  My AR10B M4 derivative weighed 1/2 pound less.  I cut it loose.  Same with my SIG 716.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I regret trading my Sig 556R
View Quote
I wanted a 556r, but so front heavy! A 10 in pistol with folding brace would have been awesome.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top