Posted: 11/2/2018 9:03:34 PM EDT
I would like to SBS a shotgun .
Where do I start ?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Easiest way right now I think is to buy a shockwave, Form1 it and then throw a stock on it. You can get a 14" shockwave for $300 and a stock for next to nothing on EE. My Remington 11 SBS project is in a thread below.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Im going " Old School " .

I have a rabbit ears double barreled Rossi .

Or I may go Old School with an old Remington 870 wingmaster . It has the vertical grooves on the forearm and plain buttstock .
I wouldn't bucther an old gun except someone cut the barrel  down to 18 inches already .

Im looking for the old Southern Sherif gun look .

Can a SBS be transported across state lines without a bunch of hoooy ?

No idea what to DO with it , but they are cool for "lookin at" .
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#4]
You have to fill out a form with the ATF in regards to transporting across state lines. From what I have read, they are good for one year. I have not got into that myself. Some googling i am sure will fill you in.

As far as your "need for one" and such, I have nothing for ya. Why do we buy any firearm? It seems to fill a need or want that the last one we bought/built doesn't seem to fill. It's a hobby do what you want.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Another option: You can buy a Rem Tac-14 Arm Brace model & basically have a common length’d SBS such as many folks build, without any NFA paperwork required (assuming you live in a free state).

https://www.remington.com/other-products/model-870-tac-14-arm-brace
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Arm brace ? Like an AR pistol ?
14" , does this make it a pistol ? Im thinking pistol shotgun are illegal.

Except for these .410 revolvers .
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
In the eyes of the law they are a "Firearm". Not a shotgun or a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
They have a 14” barrel.

They are a stock item (normal item with SKU you buy off the shelf) from Remington.  The overall length is nearly the same as many people’s tax stamped SBB’s.

I’m building an SBS now (awaiting form 1) just for the hell of it & when I’m done it will be a fraction of an inch shorter than the Rem Tac-14 Arm Brace Model.

For a lot of people I think it’s a much easier way to have an SBS w/out any of the NFA hassles.  YMMV though
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They have a 14” barrel.

They are a stock item (normal item with SKU you buy off the shelf) from Remington.  The overall length is nearly the same as many people’s tax stamped SBB’s.

I’m building an SBS now (awaiting form 1) just for the hell of it & when I’m done it will be a fraction of an inch shorter than the Rem Tac-14 Arm Brace Model.

For a lot of people I think it’s a much easier way to have an SBS w/out any of the NFA hassles.  YMMV though
View Quote
I started thinking this same thing. They I remembered I have an 870 already in the safe that's my first ever gun, so I'll already never sell it. Also have extra barrels laying around.

so how the SBS thing started for me was as follows:
paying for the Form 1 service through silencer shop since they already have my stuff on file. $35
stupid stamp, but also through SS $205
order new Magpul stock set, but I wanted that anyway $130
wait
Once approved, cut down existing barrel to 12" and reattach rifle sights $20 in parts
already have 870 $free
Get it engraved and painted $free since a buddy has a shop

so really if I skipped the stock I would only be into the whole thing the price of the stamp and service, so what the hell. I've spent more on dumber shit, NFA is always fun, and nothing wrong with a shorty 12 gauge I can use with a real stock if I want to, or a pistol grip if I want to throw it in a bag and pretend to be a movie bad ass. Since it's E file I would love to have it back before Thanksgiving, but unlikely. Christmas is a real potential though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#10]
What is the deal with Shockwave type shotguns ? Factory 14 incher ?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is the word on the street.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
For the Remmy's the answer to that is: Yes factory 14".

Rem Tac-14 Arm Brace Model comes with mag tube extension, metal follower, & non-dimpled mag tube.

Rem Tac-14 does not have mag tube extension, has plastic follower, & dimpled mag tube.

Other than the grip / brace that's the only difference between the 2 variants of the Remington Tac 14 12ga stuff that I've noticed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top