Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2018 11:30:39 AM EDT
hey all,

finally found a donor rifle for me to try my hand at painting before I go crazy with my SBR or anything. I'm wondering what parts everyone typically remove for the base coat? I want to go lighter/FDE/ dead texas grass color as the base and darken it up. I have the mesh bag as a stencil ready to go.

I figured I would pull the rail/BCG/buffer spring/buffer. then close the dust cover and fully extend the stock, and do my base stuff. Then probably put the rail back on to do the rest. I doubt I'm good enough to have patterns match where parts overlap if I take them apart.

Anything I'm missing or is the general advice just shut up and spray everything?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I did none of that.

I simply closed the dust cover, taped over the lenses of the optics put a foamie in the muzzle and began painting.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did none of that.

I simply closed the dust cover, taped over the lenses of the optics put a foamie in the muzzle and began painting.
View Quote
@svt40 by foamie do you mean one of those orange plugs? Cause that's a freaking great idea
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@svt40 by foamie do you mean one of those orange plugs? Cause that's a freaking great idea
View Quote
Yea the kind you use for hearing protection.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Depending on how much oil has been used.  Check to see if oil is coming out of the pins in the fire control group.  Easy to remove, clean and put back in.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I usually just take it all apart due to the potential of oil contamination if using something like Norrels, occasionally I'll tape off the dust cover an keep it half way open with a bent coat hanger if using just a rattle can product.  Use plenty of degreaser and yes to the foam ear plugs in certain locations.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I field strip it, spray it good with brake (or carb) cleaner, let it dry, then wipe it down with a lint free cloth and alcohol, let it dry (like dry right now, not overnight) and the put it back together and paint it.

Once it dries I can re-lube.  I just bought one of those 4 color krylon camo kits from Walmart.

I did, recently, paint a quad rail, pistol grip and carbine stock off the carbine before I installed them.  Just painted those parts OD Green.  But a camo job is done with the rifle/optic in place and lenses protected with tape.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#7]
it's a mostly new gun, so not much oil has been on it yet. I would do the optics but I haven't figured out what I want on there yet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I just remove the bcg and charging handle then hit the entire rifle with brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I put cotton balls in the scope covers to protect the glass in case there's any gaps.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Motivational, aluma-hyde rattle can.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 2:14:41 AM EDT
[#11]
This is the one I did with some Krylon.

OD green base.  Tan stripes. then brown stripes with netting.  Did not like the look, so I did brown stripes with tan netting and it was much better.

Link Posted: 7/22/2018 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I've often wondered about this.  Doesn't the paint gum up the moving parts, like bolt catch, mag release, and selector?
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've often wondered about this.  Doesn't the paint gum up the moving parts, like bolt catch, mag release, and selector?
View Quote
Hasn’t on any of mine, I’ve painted three so far...
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't happen with mine either and I've painted 5 or 6.

OP, I never remove anything.  Tape over small areas where I don't want the paint (scope/optic lenses, suppressor mounts, etc.) and just spray the whole thing.  Hell, I never degreased any of them before painting.  It's just Krylon, it's going to wear eventually, so why bother worrying about something that may speed up the wear a little bit?
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Is there really no way that paint would affect pins, selector, forward assist, charging handle latch?  That's the one thing that amakes me nervous!  Perhaps I'm not understanding how thin the finished paint is.  But I would rather tape now than have to scrape or remove little bits around the controls.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is there really no way that paint would affect pins, selector, forward assist, charging handle latch?  That's the one thing that amakes me nervous!  Perhaps I'm not understanding how thin the finished paint is.  But I would rather tape now than have to scrape or remove little bits around the controls.
View Quote
@ctfish15 I ended up painting the whole rifle without taking anything off, so it turned out great! it looks better in person than these potato pics. Since everything was assembled not a lot of paint got into the really tight areas. I taped off the trigger, did the foam muzzle trick, and that's it. the paint will wear quickly enough, so just work the parts a few times and you'll get whatever was on there off in a hurry. no problems. just do it!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top