Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2018 2:44:24 PM EDT
Just received my PSA lower from my LGS.

I did not see this when I was at the shop becasue the lower was full of oil so I did the transfer. When I recehed home and wiped it, the mark is now obvious.
This is not supposed to be a blem. Anyway, too late to complain now as the lower is now transferred.

How do I touch this up?

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:52:19 AM EDT
[#2]
This should do the trick.

ETA: beat to it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
is that a special formula for touching up, or is it just a black pentel pen? Thanks
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:58:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
is that a special formula for touching up, or is it just a black pentel pen? Thanks
View Quote
It's the same concept as a touch-up pen for your car, but a clear coat isn't needed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:04:46 AM EDT
[#5]
krylon. or build it and just shoot it; if you actually use the rifle a decent amount that scratch is nothing compared to what honest wear will be
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 2:14:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
krylon. or build it and just shoot it; if you actually use the rifle a decent amount that scratch is nothing compared to what honest wear will be
View Quote
This is good word
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 3:14:41 AM EDT
[#7]
If it is a big deal, call PSA and see if they will swap it out.  Of course you will have to deal with the FFL dealer, pay any transfer fees going and coming back, and shipping/insurance charges.

Or just build the gun with the receiver and call it a day.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, you have to be thorough when receiving a firearm.  What’s done is done so touch it up with the Magic Pen and build away.   Attach a Redi-Mag and no one will ever see it.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Spray painting the rifle is always a solid option but I think Birchwood Aluminum Black would probably tone it down a bit.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Put some clp on it and scrub the hell out of it with an old toothbrush.
Just try it and report back.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#11]
A manufacturer is allowed to ship a new lower directly to you to replace an already transferred lower, IIRC. Some will do this and some will not. If you have not already messed around with it then I would contact PSA and find out if they are willing to swap out the lower.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A manufacturer is allowed to ship a new lower directly to you to replace an already transferred lower, IIRC. Some will do this and some will not. If you have not already messed around with it then I would contact PSA and find out if they are willing to swap out the lower.
View Quote
you recall incorrectly. they can only ship back to the end user a lower with the same serial number that was repaired by manufacturer. any change of serial number requires an FFL on a new 4473.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Personally, I like that little bit of personal touch. I would leave it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

you recall incorrectly. they can only ship back to the end user a lower with the same serial number that was repaired by manufacturer. any change of serial number requires an FFL on a new 4473.
View Quote
They can send a replacement with a different serial number to the owner as long there is no state law against doing it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They can send a replacement with a different serial number to the owner as long there is no state law against doing it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen a few threads over the years where members claimed the manufacturer sent a new lower with a different serial number directly to them to replace an already transferred lower. So yes, I believe what I originally stated is correct and a manufacturer is able to swap lowers with a different serial number directly to the customer. I have never personally dealt with this situation so I can only repeat what I have read.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/1974-20-disposition-replacement-firearms/download

But with anything ATF it might change tomorrow. I would guess taking the hard line would keep you from having to keep up with State laws. I have had two replaced over the years with new ones from the manufacturer to me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Aluminum black will color it. I use it rather than anything similar to paint.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Spray painting the rifle is always a solid option but I think Birchwood Aluminum Black would probably tone it down a bit.
View Quote
This.  I love that stuff...if you have patience and keep doing it then wiping clean with water, then repeat, you can get it as dark as you want. I always keep a bottle around.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's only new once.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 1:33:11 AM EDT
[#20]
It actually has some other marks, I have emailed Palmetto to see if they can replace it.  The marks  are deeper than what you see in the picture.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top