Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2022 6:41:25 PM EDT
So picked up a frommer stop.. after a solid clean and oil she ran OK.. But a second shooter and she tanked. Do i fix a gun or just own a unique turd?

Im like 80% getting her refinished and worked over.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I vote own unique turd. Boil and card conservation mark novak style. Replace weak spring if you can find them.  Then try shooting again.  How much do you really plan on shooting it?

or FDE cerakote with stippled grips and maybe some ports on the barrel through the slide(shroud?)to help with the recoil.  Could also dremel some flutes in the barrel to reduce weight and mill for an RMR. Saweet!
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Refinish it, get it working, make it a shooter.  

Guns were made to be used.  I never understood why anyone would want a fancy paperweight.

Don't forget to post a range report and some post-gunsmithing pics!
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Refinish it, get it working, make it a shooter.  

Guns were made to be used.  I never understood why anyone would want a fancy paperweight.

Don't forget to post a range report and some post-gunsmithing pics!
View Quote

ive had a few things done by them and its always tits....

Of course
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd get it running but wouldn't mess it up with a "refinish".
https://jackfirstinc.com/frommer-stop-32-380-pistol
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I would repair rather than refinish. Just get it in working order.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#8]
oil it, put it in a display case and take the Glock to the range.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
That pistol is far from refinishing needed. Fix and run it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This gets my vote.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This gets my vote.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This gets my vote.

My vote also.
My perspective on refinishing:
Take a $200 gun
Spend $200
Result
$200 gun
Don’t result in more value costs money and is pointless.
Keep them in working order but skip the refinish.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#12]
To answer the question of value, you'd have to know the market for that particular model. (I do not.)

Is your pistol (as it sits now) something a collector/buyer would be very interested in, or is it more bottom-of-the-barrel (as far as what's generally available)? If the former, refinishing would harm its value significantly. If the latter, refinishing probably wouldn't affect its value (and in some cases could increase it).

But refinishing is almost always a net value loss proposition, because if you take a shooter-grade example, currently worth $600 (random number) and refinish it where someone would gladly pay $750, but the refinish work cost you $200 then you're actually down $50 (assuming you sell it soon). Obviously the longer you wait, the more the dollar value would increase.

Of course none of this matters if you never plan on selling it, so do what is best for you.

I bought a refinished TT-30 at what I thought was a good price. I paid less than poor condition originals go for, and tremendously less than a nice condition original would've cost. I wanted to shoot it, so there was no reason for me to pay $400 more for an original with all the bluing worn off. It's not going to spend its time with me in a display case, so I'd rather shoot a nice looking gun that appears the way it would've looked if you went back in time and grabbed one. That's just me. Maybe the guy I bought it from lost money, but I doubt it. He didn't seem to know anything about it being refinished, and whoever performed the work did an excellent job.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I would get some Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo for that keyboard issue.

Hang the gun on the wall, as-is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top