Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2023 10:33:43 PM EDT
took my newly rebarreled aero m5 with a faxon gunner profile 20” barrel to the range to get it on paper at 25 and get my gas block set. using cheapo m80, i started backing off the bleed off screw to the point where i was worried it would come completely out. i was wondering if anyone has actually done this before, or if they have a detent that will prevent this. couldn’t find any info online. it’s still ejecting around 2:00 so i’d like to open it up more, just don’t want to lose the adjustment screw.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion the bleed off system is not effective, go the other way and see if you can tame the gas by closing off the port.

I sold all my superlatives for rifle speeds and have all my stuff dialed in.  Their stuff is pricey but works so damn good, it’s visual and you know exactly what setting you are on for suppresses and unsuppressed
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
….. that’s the idea,… you close it off until you can’t get it to lock back on an empty magazine, then open it two clicks.

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#3]
The restrictive mode is more effective than the bleed-off mode. On my LR308, in restricted mode, I have a 4-5 click range that will reliably operate both suppressed and unsuppressed. In bleed-off mode. I have no overlap.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#4]
next time out i’ll try going the other way. the hope was not so much has to the face when i throw my resonator on it, but i’ll take gas over the bolt slamming back like it’s on a mission to come out the back of my buffer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#5]
The screw is captured - it won't back out all the way.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:26:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Wrong!  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, same thing with my first one on an AR15.  Kept going, kept going, never found the right spot for bleed off and still wonder how I kept from shooting the plug down range.  Screwed it back in and set it just to restrict gas.  On the second one I just set it up for restricting gas from the start.

Figured if I ever order another adjustable block it'll be a different brand.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#8]
The bleed off mode is a gimmick in my opinion on a DI gun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the 4 that I have the screw is captured by the ball and detent that gives you clicks.  One of them is on a large frame AR and backed all the way out.  If yours isn’t captured, something is wrong with the block or you intentionally forced the adjustment screw past the last detented spot.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

On the 4 that I have the screw is captured by the ball and detent that gives you clicks.  One of them is on a large frame AR and backed all the way out.  If yours isn’t captured, something is wrong with the block or you intentionally forced the adjustment screw past the last detented spot.
View Quote

I have two and can also confirm that they are captured.

One of mine is also fully backed out.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
….. that’s the idea,… you close it off until you can’t get it to lock back on an empty magazine, then open it two clicks.

View Quote

OP, I did the same as you with same results. Followed the above advice and it works great, very soft shooting.
I like it better than my AR15. I may need to get one for that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#12]
This was my email to Superlative…. And they fixed me up with a new screw.

I just purchased a Superlative ARMS .750 Adjustable Gas Block, Bleed OFF Solid Stainless Steel from Mounting Solutions Plus.  My first trip to the range was today.  Here is what happened:

I started the day with the GB set at wide open (which is first - Fully Closed Clock Wise, Then 4.5 revolutions CCW.)
After 3 shots, I adjusted the GB 3 Full CCW Turns

After 3 more shots, I adjusted the GB 7 Full CCW Turns.

2 more uneventful shots, then I had a Failure to Feed.

So, thinking it's still over gassed, I adjusted the GB 5 more Full CCW Turns.

One round One shot - Bolt did not lock back. Repeat with one round - Bolt did not lock back.

So... I was going to adjust CW, but there was no adjustment screw. Gone. I thought it was not possible to unscrew the adj screw out passed the end.
I thought these could be turned out like 31 times? And I also thought that I wasn't able to turn the screw out past the end. I thought there was some kind of retainer?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Guess I’m the lone satisfied customer of SA. I used mine on a 6.5 Grendel and got effective function in both bleed off and cutoff positions.

I took both all the way to failure to cycle properly, then opened up 2 clicks and they run fine.

As for backing all the way out- mine sticks way the hell out in bleed off mode but I’m unaware if there is a detent to prevent parts falling out.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just purchased a Superlative ARMS .750 Adjustable Gas Block, Bleed OFF Solid Stainless Steel from Mounting Solutions Plus.  My first trip to the range was today.  Here is what happened:

I started the day with the GB set at wide open (which is first - Fully Closed Clock Wise, Then 4.5 revolutions CCW.)

One round One shot - Bolt did not lock back. Repeat with one round - Bolt did not lock back.

So... I was going to adjust CW, but there was no adjustment screw. Gone. I thought it was not possible to unscrew the adj screw out passed the end.
I thought these could be turned out like 31 times? And I also thought that I wasn't able to turn the screw out past the end. I thought there was some kind of retainer?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/420365/image1_jpeg-2836611.JPG
View Quote

You’re doing it wrong. If you back it all the way open and keep going CCW, you are opening it further than all the way. You want to be CLOSING it from open by turning it CLOCKWISE as if you are facing the FRONT of the gas block. Keep doing that and single loading until you get a failure to lock back the bolt on the empty chamber. The go CLOCKWISE two clicks. Done.

You kept backing the screw out until it fell out and then had cycling problems because the screw was missing and the gas was venting to the atmosphere.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You’re doing it wrong. If you back it all the way open and keep going CCW, you are opening it further than all the way. You want to be CLOSING it from open by turning it CLOCKWISE as if you are facing the FRONT of the gas block. Keep doing that and single loading until you get a failure to lock back the bolt on the empty chamber. The go CLOCKWISE two clicks. Done.

You kept backing the screw out until it fell out and then had cycling problems because the screw was missing and the gas was venting to the atmosphere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/420365/image1_jpeg-2836611.JPG

It’s the opposite with a Superlative block in B/O mode.  Fully open in B/O mode (turned CCW until it stops) is giving you the least amount of gas to the action, fully closed (which is really halfway through the adjustment range since Superlative blocks do both B/O and restrictive) is giving you the most.

ETA:  You may have been saying the same thing, just somewhat confusingly.  Apologies if I’m just agreeing with you.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It’s the opposite with a Superlative block in B/O mode.  Fully open in B/O mode (turned CCW until it stops) is giving you the least amount of gas to the action, fully closed (which is really halfway through the adjustment range since Superlative blocks do both B/O and restrictive) is giving you the most.

ETA:  You may have been saying the same thing, just somewhat confusingly.  Apologies if I’m just agreeing with you.
View Quote

I’m trying to keep a guy who doesn’t understand “righty-tighty, lefty-loosey” from spitting his set screw across the range again.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bleed off is a great idea, but lots of people expect a more linear adjustment.
View Quote

Bleed off is clown shoes.  

The gun doesn't care about gas that vents to atmosphere.  All the gun cares about is having enough gas to work, on the inside, where it is needed.  It's marketing hype, that's all.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.

With a regular AGB, you're opening and closing what is essentially a crude needle valve. Gas that doesn't go down the gas tube stays in the barrel pushing your projectile out same as it would on any other gun.

There is zero point in wasting gas out some atmospheric vent - it accomplishes nothing.
View Quote

I thought the point was it vented gas out the gas block near the front and thus reducing Gas to Face at the rear?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.

With a regular AGB, you're opening and closing what is essentially a crude needle valve. Gas that doesn't go down the gas tube stays in the barrel pushing your projectile out same as it would on any other gun.

There is zero point in wasting gas out some atmospheric vent - it accomplishes nothing.
View Quote

For suppressed rifles... would bleeding off into atmosphere reduce blowback into chamber thus reducing gas to face?
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't think so as the point is to reduce the amount of gas going to the bolt, and that is what blows out in your face.

You either choke off the supply of gas or relieve the extra amount, out front.  Regardless, enough gas is going to the bolt to cycle the action and its got to be released somewhere and thats in the general area of your face.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I dunno, I must be the only happy SA gas block customer then.

I also shoot 100% suppressed, and like not choking on gun smoke.

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I dunno, I must be the only happy SA gas block customer then.

I also shoot 100% suppressed, and like not choking on gun smoke.

View Quote

Nope, I read directions and understand them…. Mine have been fine.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I tried one on my 12.5" .350 Legend upper.  The bleed off feature didn't seem to do much on that specific upper, so I ended up using it in restrictive mode, where it worked like any other adjustable gas block.  Yes, I read the directions.  No, I don't know what my gas port size is; whatever Faxon uses on their 12.5" .350 Legend barrels.  Standard carbine spring and buffer.  It's tuned up fine now, so I'll leave it on the upper, but I'll probably try something else next time since it doesn't seem to have any advantage over other (cheaper) options.  I do want to try the Riflespeed system too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top