Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2022 5:25:58 PM EDT
I have a huge Hardigg case in my barn (100+F to -10F)
would it hurt to store my gear (packs, cammies, chest rigs, etc in there long term? I know short term a year or two is not bad but not sure if it would affect the coatings on the back of most fabrics.

I'm running out of space in our small house and I have a crap ton of older packs and web gear that I don't use but don't want to get rid off either.

I know ammo is a no go in the barn but not sure on tactical gear.

Link Posted: 7/2/2022 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It shouldn't. Biggest factor is moisture. If you can store them dry in a drysack with moisture absorbing materials, like some silica packets, you'll be fine. Anything that can't handle that temperature range is garbage.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Coatings tend to break down over time with heat especially rubberized or acrylic fabric coatings.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Coatings tend to break down over time with heat especially rubberized or acrylic fabric coatings.
View Quote

This. This will turn all your DWR treated cordura kit into kit that feels like you spilled soda all over it. It takes years though
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This. This will turn all your DWR treated cordura kit into kit that feels like you spilled soda all over it. It takes years though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what happened to my original sea bag from the 90’s about 15 years ago.

Not risking it. I’ll just store my camo netting  maybe, extra cammies

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 2:10:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I store a lot of my hunting clothing/gear in large (150-165 qt.) Igloo ice chests, which can be picked up pretty cheaply at Costco, Sam's Club, etc. They work very well for temperature regulation, as you'd expect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top