Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2021 1:36:50 PM EDT
Looking to add some height to my Hogue Overmold.  Don't really feel like drilling holes i.e. a Karsten or Matthews.  Was considering a TacSol or Triad Tactical but don't need all the extra hoops/pouches and stuff.  Should I go with the homemade route?  Read about high density foam/mouse pad rubber and wrapping with vet tape/hockey tape. I know it probably wouldnt look all that professional but my build isn't really that pretty to begin with.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Pool noodle or pipe insulation foam with tape will get you started. It's not pretty but inexpensive and functional.

Getting a rifle set up to fit makes shooting accurately, repeatable and more fun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Pipe insulation and vet wrap will do it. Remember you want to build up not out. A 1/4 of the circumference of the insulation is a good size to work with.

Here is the old school solution

Leather riser

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#3]
the cheek protectors used by shot gunners come in a variety of heights... if you can get by with 3/8" or so you might look there

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1913144343
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I used a Beartooth Products Comb Raising Kit 2.0 to raise the sighting plain on my scoped Remington Nylon 66. Available from Midway USA for about $20.00. Uses high density foam risers held in place with a slide on neoprene stock sleeve.
Gary
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried cut pool noodles under a Velcro on pouch, problem is pool noodle foam compresses in short order then needs replacing.
I was gifted a kydex check riser that straps on and is a much better ( though fairly expensive) solution
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought the ones that strap onto the stock would be intrusive also but after using one I find that little additional storage is extremely handy.  Especially if you're using it for camping, hiking, survival, etc.  The ability to raise your comb height perfectly is a win and the extra storage options are huge bonus in my opinion.

I think I'm going to put one on my .30-06 just for the storage reason since I don't need to raise the comb on that one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Cheap ones on eBay are pretty good

Has zippered pouch and she’ll holder comes off via velcro so you can put patch there too

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Dayphotog, those cheapos don't actually look too bad for a .22.  How versatile/tight can you cinch down those straps?  Thinking the pouch would come in handy for those 10 round rotary mags and boxes of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pool noodle or pipe insulation foam with tape will get you started. It's not pretty but inexpensive and functional.

Getting a rifle set up to fit makes shooting accurately, repeatable and more fun.
View Quote

This is what I do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top