Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2018 2:22:56 PM EDT
what would be the smallest D and L for 556 that works at 140db?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you'd be asking a lot for anything under 1.5x6. Not saying there's a design out there that can't, but there'd have been a lot of effort put into its design. Enough so that it's proprietary info, perhaps.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you'd be asking a lot for anything under 1.5x6.
View Quote
Pretty much.  I've got a 1.56 x 5" model that comes in just under the threshold at 138.6, but that was done by making the entire thing of 17-4 PH with the base and baffle skirts forming the outer tube, much like the SiCo Omega, and also with a brake that's designed to maximize the blast chamber.  If you're talking about trying to buy 1.5" tube and use cones & spacers with direct thread mounting, I'd plan on at least 6" length.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Griffin's optimus micro is 1.1" in diameter and they exceed 140db. like mentioned 17-4 construction to handle the abuse. They also require extension modules to in essence make a larger blast chamber for some of their barrel length restrictions.

going smaller in diameter eats up internal volume in a hurry (pi r sq'd) so a longer can may be required to get your #'s. One way to cheat is to make a tubeless design. I'm not too sure how the weldability of 17-4 is (I want to say it was poor but I could be wrong) going tubeless yields more volume in a given size.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted: One way to cheat is to make a tubeless design. I'm not too sure how the weldability of 17-4 is (I want to say it was poor but I could be wrong) going tubeless yields more volume in a given size.
View Quote
This is exactly what I did and 17-4 welds great.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

17-4 welds great.
View Quote
Yup.  Fusion TIG welds beautifully, and even if you anneal the material in the HAF, you still have 150 KSI yield strength.  Few alloys have such high strength in annealed or normalized condition.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what would be the smallest D and L for 556 that works at 140db?
View Quote
A 1.625 od x 5" titanum tube will meet your objective on a 16" barrel using a griffin armament minimalist taper brake and 4 rsc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top