Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2018 6:45:08 PM EDT
I'm looking to legally cut down a 20" Remington 870 barrel that I have, but I like the rifle sights that are on it. I just filed for a stamp so I can cut it to 12.5". what I've been reading is that it is possible to remove the front sight by getting it damn near red hot and popping it off. What I'm wondering is multi part:

1) Should I cut it shorter first, so as I heat the heck out of it I don't mess with barrel steel I'll actually shoot through?

2) how do I re-attach the rifle sight at the new shorter length?

I have saws, torches, grinders, etc already so I'm thinking that DIY may be the cheapest option, rather than trying to send it out for the work or trying to swap the barrel.

any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Cut the piece off first, then heat it, but before you do, using a straight edge long enough to be held against the sight in it's existing position and at the same time overlapping the intended position on the cut barrel, make lines on each side of the are to ease location when it's time to silver solder it in place.

Then cut and heat the piece until the factory solder lets go.

Silver solder is all you need, the ones you want don't require more than around 400  - 500 degrees not 1200 or so like brazing or extreme silver solders.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=240925
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The bluing most likely will be damaged from the heat from when you silver solder the sight back on.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bluing most likely will be damaged from the heat from when you silver solder the sight back on.
View Quote
@MarkBinSC I plan on having it all ceracoated once i get it set up the way I want, so not super worried about that one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Cut the piece off first, then heat it, but before you do, using a straight edge long enough to be held against the sight in it's existing position and at the same time overlapping the intended position on the cut barrel, make lines on each side of the are to ease location when it's time to silver solder it in place.

Then cut and heat the piece until the factory solder lets go.

Silver solder is all you need, the ones you want don't require more than around 400  - 500 degrees not 1200 or so like brazing or extreme silver solders.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=240925
View Quote
I was thinking about making the lines first, that way it's square up to where I want it. Can I just use pencil or do I need anything more hard core?

also how hard is it to silver solder? I never have. I've done copper and something to attach bronze to steel (knife making) but I was getting help on that one.

I know the barrel isn't super expensive so I'm not too worried. I guess worst case is just rip the rear off, too, and put a bead on it if I F it all up.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Think I might send that sight re-install to a shop to get it done right, but I'm a fatfingers when it comes to stuff like this.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I've wanted an 18" iron sighted bbl like you for a while now. Recently obtained a 20" bead sight bbl and after comparing it to the 18, I'm plenty fine with a 20".  It's not nearly the difference I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've wanted an 18" iron sighted bbl like you for a while now. Recently obtained a 20" bead sight bbl and after comparing it to the 18, I'm plenty fine with a 20".  It's not nearly the difference I thought it would be.
View Quote
He wants a 12.5" barrel. I agree that cutting two inches would be silly.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:20:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I've done it several times.  Its easy.  If you are doing an 870 - add the base. add bead of choice you can drill and tap the bead after setting the base - affixing with silver solder from Brownells.  If you silver solder, the heat may discolor your finish - on an Express its hardly noticeable or can be touched up.  I cover mine with alumahyde, KG gunkote or repark - Bluing may result in heat discoloration, can mask with steel wool and cold blue but might not like the result.

Base at midway, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005582528/remington-front-sight-base-870-police-parkerized

1. Mark and cut barrel - can use hack saw, chop saw, quality pipe cutter, file and smooth edges.  verify square.  Its not rocket science.

2. Mark location for base - clean/sand surfaces

3. clamp ( I use needle vice grips) with flux, solder and heat with Mapp gas torch.  let cool.

4.  refinish/clean area.

5. Add bead - drill and tap with your choice of sight

You could skip steps 2-4 and add another bead or other sight, but risk its going to hit too high as most Remingtons have a sight base.

3. Clean
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Another option for a replacement base is the Williams Shorty mount

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/sights/sight-parts/front-sight-parts/shotgun-shorty-ramps-prod16150.aspx

I put one on my Mossberg 500 18.5" barrel that previously only had a bead front sight.
The nice thing is it takes the dovetail Williams front sight blades or a number of other dovetail front blades.

The big issue will be figuring out what height front sight you are going to need when you cut the barrel down. You will not be able to use the same height measurement from the existing front sight when you move it back to 12.5"
Take a look at this tool: http://www.cleverinsite.com/ballistics/skinner.htm

ETA: If this were my gun I would consider putting on a receiver mounted rear sight or ghost ring and getting rid of the barrel mounted sight. It will give you some additional separation between the front and rear sights which will be especially important with a 12.5" barrel length. I can't recommend Skinner sights highly enough. Their Henry Octagon Barrel Screw Mount rear sight works perfectly with the factory drilled holes in the receiver on a Rem 870 or a Mossberg 500.

With that rear sight installed you would likely need a front sight of .600" tall blade (barrel to top of blade) to make it work.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#11]
just a comment... I'm more used to looking down a rib, so that would be my choice, and greatly simplify your problem... a 10/22 sight dovetailed into the rib and front bead, or the Skinner as commented would be pretty slick
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Wilson/Scatterguntech front sights attach with Devcon ProSteel epoxy.  I have done several sets with no issues.  Tape off barrel and scuff it with a Dremel drum and clean with acetone before applying epoxy.

A pipe cutter makes a clean cut.  If you put grease on the barrel, the cutter rollers won't leave a mark. I deburred the inside of the barrel with a brake cylinder hone.  It is a good thing to clean up the chamber and forcing cone at the same time.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He wants a 12.5" barrel. I agree that cutting two inches would be silly.
View Quote
Hahahaha, that's what I get for posting from my phone without my glasses
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I know a guy that adds a new Marbles sight base using Hi Force 44 solder and avoids even trying to remove the original front sight base.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My guy adds a new Marbles sight base using Hi Force 44 solder and avoids even trying to remove the original front sight base.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31644/12870-739285.jpg
View Quote
@GunCat that looks good and I have heard ya'll do fantastic work! Also threading for chokes would be nice, that's certainly something I can't accomplish. What would it cost to have that done?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top