Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2018 3:28:30 PM EDT
If you were going to get a rifle from cmp which one would you get?  service or field grade?
Would like a .308 special but not for $1250
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy the best one you can afford.

I bought a Springfield special.  No regrets.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got an ihc special and it's very nice.  Thinking about ordering a service grade as well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Service.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Service for sure. Worth the extra. I have 4 of them and 1 special. Worth every penny. Some of the field grades can be in less than desirable shape.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Right now, from what I'm seeing coming out of CMP, get a Service if you can afford it.  They are mostly the Philippine returns right now and are in very good condition.  Someone just got a ridiculous condition 1944 SA matching receiver/barrel, GAW, lockbars.  It was a Service Grade.

I have 3 CMP M1s, 2 of which are Field Grades from 2006.  One I hand picked at the Ohio store (beat up Greek return but best in the bunch).  Second rifle I mail ordered with a sticky note for WWII production.

I got what I think should have been a Service based on condition.  1943 receiver with '44 barrel, all WWII era parts (SA and WRA) and USGI stock with very faint SA/GAW and lockbar rear sight.  Went through RRA at some point (stamped next to GAW)

I'd post picks but at work right now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a CMP service grade H&R 5.7m serial on Tuesday. Rifle looks to have been used and a little bit abused. I was hoping for a nicer looking gun but it's going to be a shooter so in the end it doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This in 5 or 10 years the cost will be negligible.  If its a keeper, pay the extra money.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This in 5 or 10 years the cost will be negligible.  If its a keeper, pay the extra money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right now, based on the current condition of M1s coming out of CMP, definitely buy a SG if you intend to keep it, but especially if you intend to shoot it.

Strip it down, clean out the barrel, inspect all the internal parts, change out the op rod spring if needed, grease everything properly, and then zero it for at least 100-yds, preferably at 200- or 300-yds.

A SG in the .308 chambering might arguably be the better choice due to the cost of factory ammo and 7.62 surplus availability, unless you plan to reload oodles of equivalent M2 '06 loads.

Regardless, the way this country is going, an M1 Garand might be the last semi-auto rifle the government will let us own. It's already gone that way in certain states, like N.J., where the little .30 M1 Carbine is banned by name, but the M1Garand is still legal.

Just sayin'
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#10]
This is very true and has me thinking.....
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#11]
So I reload.
I can reload both .308 or 30.06.
Other than getting a new used gun would the special be better.
$750 vs $1250
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Recommend SG.  For $750, if you don't like it, you won't lose money.

Recommend waiting on the Specials at the present time, unless you want an IHC or Winchester receiver and are willing to pay the premium.  The .308 SA FG Special I got this fall was priced at $850.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I was thinking about that.
I would not mind saving some money and going with a Springfield .308 special
I ll keep checking the site.  I ll have to get my paperwork in line.  
Do they ever get rack grades in?
Are they pretty bad?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

unless you plan to reload oodles of equivalent M2 '06 loads.
View Quote
Zero need to stick to "M2 ball " loads...that is internet myth.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I've always gotten the SG.  Why?  Because I want to shoot it.  Collecting it, is a secondary concern.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:29:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Up to you.

++++++++

Me.....I go with this advice.

Why the considerable difference between the Horny 7th Ed and Greek HXP?

The difference lies in the GAS PORT PRESSURE of the two loadings. The issue with the M1 rifle and ammo does not lie with max chamber pressure. The M1's action is as strong as any other out there and stronger than many commercially made bolt rifles.... BUT the M1 has a tender gas system. The pressure as the bullet passes the gas port is critical not only to function but to durability of the parts.

The gas port pressure is a function of bullet weight and powder burn rate. The main difference between the HXP and the Hornady loads are with the burn rate of the powder. The loads you see in the Hornady manual are calibrated to keep the gas port pressure below the design max..... even if that means a much lower than normal muzzle velocity for the bullet. It just means that those powders are on the low end of the burn rate for the M1.

Only medium burn rate powders are suitable for the M1's gas system. These keep chamber pressure below max and keep the gas port pressure within the design range. Back in the 50's the techies of Springfield Armory (the REAL one) gave the following two "M1 Gas System Safe Load Rules" to civilian shooters who were just being allowed access to the M1 rifle for Highpower competition:

1) NEVER shoot bullets HEAVIER than 180 grains
2) NEVER shoot powder that is SLOWER burn than IMR-4320

Violating either one of these two rules... i.e. slower powder OR a heavier bullet has the effect of raising the tail of the pressure curve (Where the bullet passes the port) above design spec.

Military M2 loads can be duped with any flavor of 4895 and a 147-152 grain bullet. The perennial Highpower target load for the M1 for the last 4 decades has been a 168-175 grain target bullet over IMR-4064 powder.

Please note that you CANNOT... rpt. CANNOT determine the suitability of a round for use in the M1 by muzzle velocity. It is quite possible that a round can be at the same muzzle velocity (Or lower) as an M2 round yet have a port pressure that is way over gas system spec. You MUST know the powder burn rate to know suitability for the M1. If in doubt, why risk it.

Just my 2 bits,
Swampy  (posted on the AR15.com site)
That advice isn't limited to the comparison/question (btw Hornady 7th Ed and Greek HXP).  Anyway, the two main points are......

1) no bullets weighting above 180 grains.
2) powder burn rate matters.  So NO powder burning slower than IMR-4320.

If you wish to use one of those adjustable gas plugs....that's also up to YOU to decide.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 3:49:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Up to you.

++++++++

That advice isn't limited to the comparison/question (btw Hornady 7th Ed and Greek HXP).  Anyway, the two main points are......

If you wish to use one of those adjustable gas plugs....that's also up to YOU to decide.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
Right..like he said...zero need to stick to "M2 ball " loads.

And it doesn't need an adjustable gas "screw" unless you hand load for 1000 yd matches
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I did a bit a searching and did not find the answer that made sense to me.
Can some one explain the throat and muzzle gauge numbers.
Sounds like the lower the number the better.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I got a .30-06 CMP Special. It is an IHC .30-06. Really fun to shoot. They have super cheap ammo when you buy the rifle, so don’t forget to buty your limit there!

It looks new with a brand new barrel and stock. Really nice rifle, but yes $1250.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is the theory....a barrel goes bad at the muzzle and throat first. Called throat and muzzle erosion. Caused by hot gases passing by the metal and cutting it very slowly.  It is usually directly connected to accuracy. In a semi-auto rifle, other factors like trigger and fit to stock can be way bigger factors, so a 2 may shoot as well as a 0 in my hands.

Also, replacing barrels is pretty reasonable pricewise, unless you don’t want to for historical purpose. Then you might want a 1-2 for a lifetime of shooting without changing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree, but how do you plan to control gas pressures to avoid op rod damage?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Rack grades are usually in store only. I have not seen them available online for a while.

Get a service grade.
View Quote
To me rack grade is too rough.....when I saw them in the store...surely safe, but not something to collect and will likely need steady maintenance like barrel replacement, sight replacement, stock replacement,etc over a short time period. Maybe not as I don’t know what you want.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And it doesn't need an adjustable gas "screw" unless you hand load for 1000 yd matches
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Up to you.

++++++++

Aloha, Mark

Well, he won't need to use an adj gas plug at all if he gets a .308 M1 'Special.'

FWIW, for my deer and hog load in my 'hunter' Garand, I shoot 220gn 30-06 handloads @ 2400+fps  - but that rifle runs a Schuster adj M1 gas plug, which allows me to tune the gas system to that load.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#26]
OP here’s a few pics of the last Service Grade I received this week.

1944 original receiver and barrel

ME 1 and TE 1+
Next to the last SG I got, most recent is on top. Plus I got 2 cases of ammo half off.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well, he won't need to use an adj gas plug at all if he gets a .308 M1 'Special.'

FWIW, for my deer and hog load in my 'hunter' Garand, I shoot 220gn 30-06 handloads @ 2400+fps  - but that rifle runs a Schuster adj M1 gas plug, which allows me to tune the gas system to that load.
View Quote
You don't need and adjustable gas screw at all shooting commercial ammo.

My rem 220grn core lokt are just fine with a USGI screw.

The most important thing is having an inspec garand with proper lubrication.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
You are correct.

TE happens when you fire the rifle from the gasses erroding the barrel just I front of the chamber.

MW happens from being shot as well as from the segmented steel rods issued to GIs for cleaning their rifles.  In some cases the barrels with higher MW numbers can be "restored" by counter boring the barrels (commonly seen on Mosin Nagant refurbs).  Generally people just rebarrel them as the cost benefit to doing this isn't worth the expense for the amount of life you get from the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You are correct.

TE happens when you fire the rifle from the gasses erroding the barrel just I front of the chamber.

MW happens from being shot as well as from the segmented steel rods issued to GIs for cleaning their rifles.  In some cases the barrels with higher MW numbers can be "restored" by counter boring the barrels (commonly seen on Mosin Nagant refurbs).  Generally people just rebarrel them as the cost benefit to doing this isn't worth the expense for the amount of life you get from the barrel.
View Quote
You don't generally counterbore a garand...its much easier to just cut the muzzle back and recrown.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, my 'hunter' M1 is a 16.1" Mini-G in 30-06 from Shuff's Parkerizing.  So, yes, using a Schuster adj plug is a mandatory component of that set-up  - to avoid damaging the op rod or gas system - along with a modified follower rod and Wolff XP recoil spring.

Obviously, you don't know what you don't know.

The most important thing is having an inspec garand with proper lubrication.
In a 'standard' Garand, yes.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I received two field grades Friday, both had barrels within service grade specs...one had a TE of 2+ and muzzle wear of 1. Both were clearly downgraded for cosmetic reasons. Rough GI walnut and lots of worn park but no rust or pitting.

ETA- my service grade looks like a special..new wood, new barrel. When I ordered that one they had a big run of NOS 2/55 Springfield barrels. That's what I got with that one. Very nice rifle but I wanted the "been there" look this time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Dude, my 'hunter' M1 is a 16.1" Mini-G in 30-06 from Shuff's Parkerizing.  So, yes, using a Schuster adj plug is a mandatory component of that set-up  - to avoid damaging the op rod or gas system - along with a modified follower rod and Wolff XP recoil spring.

Obviously, you don't know what you don't know.

In a 'standard' Garand, yes.  
View Quote
No one here is talking about modified commercail versions of garands...

we were talking about "as issued" full size garands...  anything else isn't relevant to the conversation

they can shoot pretty much anything as is as long as the rifle is in good shape.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#34]
I am going to go for the SG.
I ll be sending my paper work in asap.
If the special .308s come in with different receiver I ll prefer that.
Thanks for the pictures guys.............  
Great stuff
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I am going to go for the SG.
I ll be sending my paper work in asap.
If the special .308s come in with different receiver I ll prefer that.
Thanks for the pictures guys.............  
Great stuff
View Quote
You can't go wrong with a SG. I've bought 5 SG's from this last batch of Philippine returns and all the barrels have essentially been like new. 1/1 1/2 muzzle/throat readings. The wood is ugly, worn-out USGI but within grading standards.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Here is the M1 I bought.
I did not get it from the CMP.
It is a .308.
My question is the trigger guard.
I have not seen one like that before.

https://pix.sfly.com/nrBQcc

here
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Here is the M1 I bought.
I did not get it from the CMP.
It is a .308.
My question is the trigger guard.
I have not seen one like that before.

here
View Quote
Looks like a WWII era milled trigger guard to me. Post war trigger guards were stamped and lack the hole behind the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#40]
O I am still going to get a cmp gun.
I wanted to try the the scope set up.
I thought it was priced ok.
It was not a steel but ok.
The stock was a little rough.
Has a crack behind the receiver.
Anyway I am going to sell some other guns and stuff and get a cmp gun too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Post what you think after shooting it. Ive always been curious about how well that mount holds zero wirh it being mounted as a handguard. Looks like a decent rifle overall and IMO if you can replace the stock and be under $800-$1000 depending on value of the scope you did well for open market.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#42]
scope is cheap  NCstar
I probably over paid.
I did get 32 clips and a bandoleer, but not for the M1.  Not sure what it fits.  Also got a nice hard case.
Barrel says 308 and 1954, seller said the receiver was a 1944.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
scope is cheap  NCstar
I probably over paid.
I did get 32 clips and a bandoleer, but not for the M1.  Not sure what it fits.  Also got a nice hard case.
Barrel says 308 and 1954, seller said the receiver was a 1944.
View Quote
If you care to verify the receiver date you can look up the serial number, whoever made the receiver (Springfield or Winchester), and get the month/year it was made. Plenty of websites and forums have the serial number info so a quick Google will suffice.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#44]
10-1944
3,239,xxx Springfield Armory
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top