Posted: 10/31/2018 3:12:29 PM EDT
FIL had lightning strike that fried his dvr. this is the offered replacement

dahua 4 ch dvr

thoughts and comments?

...seems kinda antiquated and pricey with no cell or internet viewing available
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Agreed.
Who's offering the replacement, and what did he have before?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Agreed.
Who's offering the replacement, and what did he have before?
View Quote
not sure what he had before but it was similar to the replacement. security company is installing the replacement but FIL has to pay for dvr + install,

i thought the system they put in was outdated to start with. his install was done during house construction 2 years ago yet they used analog lines and cameras

i have very little knowledge of current security specs but im assuming it should be at least have remote access via phone and internet
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I was going to suggest Synology, but then you said it's an analog system. Why would anyone buy an analog system?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I see no reason to install analog cameras and wiring in new construction in 2016.  Sounds like the installer is stuck back in the analog era or that’s their cheapest option and your relative chose the cheapest thing they offered.  Depends on the cameras used but you could probably just buy a cheaper one on amazon and just plug everything into the new one.  It’s plug and play and setting the settings is usually very easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top