Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2020 11:09:57 PM EDT
whats the best way to remove the FN factory flash hider off the scar 17 13'' barrel. thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Get your wife to do it.

Muscle up.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#3]
There isn't enough real estate between the FH and GB for most off the shelf barrel vise blocks (I think Tango Down makes one?). In situations like this, I wrap the part of the barrel closest to the FH in a piece of thick scrap leather, and sprinkle some talc grip on it for good measure to prevent slipping, then install it perpendicular in a big ass vise, cranked down with all my weight on it. I'm lucky enough to have access to a 12 incher for problems like this. I don't know if the bbl's have rocksett or anything on them, as I've never removed the FH's from my 16 and 17. Putting the barrel assembly in the freezer for a while might help.

I have also attached a visual reference guide for proper tool selection:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure, but I think the 13" barrel uses the same 3-prong flash hider as the 20S. My FN Forum link  below shows removal info for the 20s and 17S. If you decide to buy the mentioned 3-prong tool and can't find it, I will part with mine.....only used once.

https://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-20s/220571-flash-hider-removal.html
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:31:34 AM EDT
[#6]
It’s worth a try just getting a good grip on the gas block and maybe stick a screwdriver in the flash hider and try unscrewing it.  Don’t go crazy and mess up the flash hider but it’s worth a try.  Just today I removed the muzzle brake off a new Scar 17 and it turned out to be barely tightened, wouldn’t have even needed a tool on the brake as it could have been gripped tight and unscrewed.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There isn't enough real estate between the FH and GB for most off the shelf barrel vise blocks (I think Tango Down makes one?)......
View Quote

Really simple to make your own, all of mine are homemade.  Lowe’s sells blocks of oak (or some similar hardwood) in 3”x3”x2’ chunks.  Chop off a piece in the appropriate length for the barrel section available to clamp and drill through the middle a hole a little smaller than the barrel diameter then cut in half.  In the off chance you need a little more grip a thin rubber gizmo to remove jar kits or a section of inner tube will usually do the trick.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I clamped the barrel extension in a flat vise and used the Magpul armorers wrench. Came right off.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I got it off pretty easy. thanks again guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top