Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2021 6:53:47 PM EDT
Open for ideas on a simple, but quality scope.  thanks!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Open for ideas on a simple, but quality scope.  thanks!
View Quote
Forward mount (scout-mounted optic) or mounted on a rail atop the receiver?

Most experienced Mini users have gravitated to forward optics mounted on the Ultimak scout rail.  Even though more costly than a conventional, atop-the-receiver optic, the forward mounted optic has such significant advantages than many users have adopted that approach.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Forward mount (scout-mounted optic) or mounted on a rail atop the receiver?

Most experienced Mini users have gravitated to forward optics mounted on the Ultimak scout rail.  Even though more costly than a conventional, atop-the-receiver optic, the forward mounted optic has such significant advantages than many users have adopted that approach.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  I would like to stick with the traditional receiver mounted optic.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:16:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 2-7 Nikon with a 1 inch tube and medium Ruger rings.  I had to take off the rear sight to get the scope to fit but it's worth it
kwg
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.  I would like to stick with the traditional receiver mounted optic.
View Quote

If your particular model Mini has scallops machined-in to the top of the receiver, then use appropriate ring mounts that fit the scallops.  I'm told there are 3 heights available.  If you own one of the older, Standard model Mini-14s, which lacks such scallops, then a scope mount whose main attachment point is the removable side plate on the receiver is probably the best bet.  Try to ensure access to the bolt hold-open/release is not impeded by the mount, and try to ensure that the mount has some set screws that affix it in place at its ends, so that the mount won't tilt.  Be prepared to use a cheek-riser, such as the one offered by ITC.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If your particular model Mini has scallops machined-in to the top of the receiver, then use appropriate ring mounts that fit the scallops.  I'm told there are 3 heights available.  If you own one of the older, Standard model Mini-14s, which lacks such scallops, then a scope mount whose main attachment point is the removable side plate on the receiver is probably the best bet.  Try to ensure access to the bolt hold-open/release is not impeded by the mount, and try to ensure that the mount has some set screws that affix it in place at its ends, so that the mount won't tilt.  Be prepared to use a cheek-riser, such as the one offered by ITC.
View Quote

It is a brand new ranch.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve got a red dot on mine. Keeps it light and handy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It is a brand new ranch.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a brand new ranch.  
If you want a conventional scope, then use the machined-in scope mounting points (scallops) to mount your optic, along with the appropriate height rings.  Lower is always better.

But, having personally tried that approach, many times, I found the forward (scout) mount so much better that I discarded the conventional scope approach on the Mini-14/-30, the M1 Garand, and the M1A platforms.  I fought against this 'forward optic' approach for a long time, and wasted a LOT of money finding out I was dead wrong.  Learn from my expensive mistakes, please.

FWIW, there are very few experienced Mini users over at Perfectunion.com who mount optics on their Minis in a conventional style.  Almost all use forward mounts, and these shooters have lots of field experience behind them.

Before you plunk down your hard-earned $$, please consider the experiences of others who have learned some expensive lessons.

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:49:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you want a conventional scope, then use the machined-in scope mounting points (scallops) to mount your optic, along with the appropriate height rings.  Lower is always better.

But, having personally tried that approach, many times, I found the forward (scout) mount so much better that I discarded the conventional scope approach on the Mini-14/-30, the M1 Garand, and the M1A platforms.  I fought against this 'forward optic' approach for a long time, and wasted a LOT of money finding out I was dead wrong.  Learn from my expensive mistakes, please.

FWIW, there are very few experienced Mini users over at Perfectunion.com who mount optics on their Minis in a conventional style.  Almost all use forward mounts, and these shooters have lots of field experience behind them.

Before you plunk down your hard-earned $$, please consider the experiences of others who have learned some expensive lessons.

View Quote

Just curious, why is it that you advise against mounting it in the scallops?
I understand that there were a few runs of badly cut mounts but assuming that they are cut correctly, what exactly is it about the conventional scope mount that you found so much worse than the forward scout mount?

I ask because I have had the exact opposite experience specifically for the mini as the factory scallop cuts are quite low and omitting the rear sight allows you mount an ocular pretty low as well.  
These two factors don't hold true for a garand or M14.

I am interested in hearing your personal experience and rationale as to why a scout scope is better.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just curious, why is it that you advise against mounting it in the scallops?
I understand that there were a few runs of badly cut mounts but assuming that they are cut correctly, what exactly is it about the conventional scope mount that you found so much worse than the forward scout mount?

I ask because I have had the exact opposite experience specifically for the mini as the factory scallop cuts are quite low and omitting the rear sight allows you mount an ocular pretty low as well.  
These two factors don't hold true for a garand or M14.

I am interested in hearing your personal experience and rationale as to why a scout scope is better.
View Quote
The conventional scope and its mount/rings obscures the action, and sometimes impedes removal of the bolt for cleaning.  With conventional scope, I was never able to get the optic as low as I could with the Ultimak forward mount, and so the conventional rig posed some problems with cheek weld to stock.  Nothing inherently wrong with using the scallops, but appropriate height rings for the scallops can be difficult to find vice the more conventional rings used on the forward mount.  Even with an extremely low mounting of the forward optic, the rear sight does not need to be removed, and so is available for use if the optic fails.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The conventional scope and its mount/rings obscures the action, and sometimes impedes removal of the bolt for cleaning.  With conventional scope, I was never able to get the optic as low as I could with the Ultimak forward mount, and so the conventional rig posed some problems with cheek weld to stock.  Nothing inherently wrong with using the scallops, but appropriate height rings for the scallops can be difficult to find vice the more conventional rings used on the forward mount.  Even with an extremely low mounting of the forward optic, the rear sight does not need to be removed, and so is available for use if the optic fails.
View Quote

Interesting,
I like using the scallops because I can run a LPVO in medium or low rings with perfect eye relief and almost perfect height if I remove the rear. I can't do that with a garand or m14.

I find that the forward mounting makes the gun heavy and limits you to the use of a mini rds that you can't even cowitness.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Interesting,
I like using the scallops because I can run a LPVO in medium or low rings with perfect eye relief and almost perfect height if I remove the rear. I can't do that with a garand or m14.

I find that the forward mounting makes the gun heavy and limits you to the use of a mini rds that you can't even cowitness.
View Quote
Co-witness is nice, but a reasonable work-around is a quickly and easily (one-handed) removable optic.  Added weight of Ultimak rail and low, small, RDS probably is no more than scope and rings.

To change rifle's center of gravity, use appropriate pouch--like a dual handcuff pouch, at rear of stock with a small emergency cleaning kit installed.  Installed at rear of stock, such a slim pouch ought not interfere with mounting the rifle either strong- or weak-side.  Added weight is at least composed of useful items, as opposed to drilling the stock under the butt plate, and installing lead shot pellets, which is an old trick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top