Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 5/11/2023 8:43:57 PM EDT
Looking for a defense carry knife, for support side carry. Will not be used for any regular knife duty - I have a regular folder/leatherman for that.  Am willing to train with it, so should i look for a karambit style? Eagle claw style? I assume assisted opening is a must, maybe with a ring? Also dont want to spend hundreds on this. What do you guys suggest?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry a ESEE 3 at 9 o’clock IWB blade forward at work and a ESEE Izula 2 same way at home. I’ve tried others but nothing works as well as the ESEE for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 1:27:34 AM EDT
[#2]
In Texas, we have a 5.5" maximum carry in bars, so I've had a Cold Steel Luzon folder cut down from 6".  Has a clip, so rides in the back pocket.  If I'm planning on not carrying a pistol at all for legal reasons, I'll generally drop a mini-KaBar tanto point (ie, not a Bowie knive, another weird bar law) in the front pocket attached to a belt.  Also have a 5" or so Gerber w/ a side mount belt sheath, it's really too long to be comfortable on my back, but there are some times I wear it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Single edged Microtech Combat Troodon rides in my front right pocket, along with my wallet. As it sits very deeply in the pocket, I've fitted a modest lanyard so it can be deployed pretty quickly. It is for emergency purposes only. Granted, thus far the only time I've considered using it was was directly after surviving a head-on collision. Luckily, the seat belt latch worked and the door opened, so it wasn't needed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate Benchmade but their SOCP or whatever is pretty decent for what you're describing. I have a clone on my belt from amazon, like $30.
Usually carry a Combat Troodon whenever I'm not at school (2" max blade bullshit).
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate Benchmade but their SOCP or whatever is pretty decent for what you're describing. I have a clone on my belt from amazon, like $30.
Usually carry a Combat Troodon whenever I'm not at school (2" max blade bullshit).
View Quote

You can't carry a reasonably sized pocket knife at school? That's sad. I've never been hassled in 20+ years here (Pre K-12 IT).
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I have carried a variety of folders and OTFs from Benchmade, Microtech and others but the last few months have found me carrying a fixed blade.   I just seem to prefer it.   Currently its a TOPS Strike Eagle
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Shivworks Clinch Pick with a trainer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Skallywag MDV +1 is what I settled on. It's minimalist in size and shape but it can be used as a push dagger or as a more conventional grip. It's available with two different sheaths for different carry styles and a dull/blunted trainer is available if you're actually going to grapple with it. I think they usually go for $150 but they run regular sales so it's pretty easy to pick one up for less.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#10]
A Cold Steel Voyager XL is a solid pick for the price plus it comes in a variety of blade shapes which for a defense style knife, Id probably choose the Tanto or Kris voyager. The Cold Steel Espada Large would also be a great pick.

A Boker XXL Kalashnikov I think is another good pick its a push button side opening auto with a 4.75inch blade.

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Amtac Northman X
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
The Benchmade SOCP and KaBar TDI are both very smartly designed fighting knives, and both come in a few different sizes and blade shapes.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I EDC a waved Endura, LH, tip up, oriented for a forward draw to a reverse grip.

While I am by no means a knife fighter, I have had good success with a trainer version taking ECQC.

One evolution that stands out (I was the aggressor so I had an admitted advantage). I closed distance with the defender tried to feed all the pre-assault indicators I could, then produced the trainer and proceeded to run the "edge" from his right pelvis up to his left shoulder. After running out of body, it was in a good position to "stab" the subclavian artery, recovering from the "stab" I managed to get an underhook with the blade and work over his kidney. This all happened before he reacted. During the AAR it was noted that the blade was produced "fuckin fast".

I have since been a fan of wave opening, I think it is more robust and faster than an auto. You might check out the Spyderco Matriarch if you want to be more edge driven and less stabby.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been carrying a CRKT "Strafe" for about a year.   Sheath is at 9 oclock just behind the belt loop.  Being able to shift the sheath back farther makes it invisible from the front.

Paladin
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#15]
My two favorites are…

Microtech UTX-85
ProTech TR-5

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#16]
CRKT M16
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amtac Northman X
View Quote

I've been pocket carrying the Amtac Minuteman, which is a concept that works really well for me (although the price is ridiculous...).

The Skallywag MDV+1 is a new addition, and so far I like it.

For a good budget, defensive/utility blade (yeah, I said utility), I really like the location of a small fixed blade riding at the 11:00 position. I can access it with my supporting (left) hand in my traditional reverse icepick grip for defensive use; or it can be accessed in a traditional saber grip with my right hand. Those with a shorter handle will pretty much disappear under an untucked T-shirt.

Spyderco Street Beat, White River Knives Model #1, Bradford knives, ESEE 3, etc. are all good. I also like knives with rings in them, however for me, they're best when located at about the 9:00 O'Clock position on my support side, the ring just helps to index quickly, but I still draw in an icepick grip with the blade facing out.

The Clinch Pick, punch/push daggers are a little more niche, but they work well for what they're designed to do, they're just a little less utilitarian. Punching is pretty natural for me, so I've done training and comfortabale with that. The Clinch Pick and Karambit styles require a little more dedicated training to maximize their design.  

My more frequently used supporting hand, icepick reverse grip is what I train with the most. A few simple, aimed slashes and/or stabs with the intent of just breaking any close contact and allowing me to draw a more lethal defensive tool.

ROCK6
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top