Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2020 10:11:19 AM EDT
I have never used these before, normally I full resize for my ar rifles.  Is there any improvement when using a small base die?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Dillon .223 dies are small base too or as they put it "sized to minimum tolerances"

If you have tight chamber a small base die might help.  I use Hornady full length dies
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a case gage first.

Then get the small base just because.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends.

Do you only have one AR?  Do you shoot new cartridges and only your own reloads?  

Do you have a match chamber?  Do you use your handloads in both auto-loaders and bolt actions?

Do you ever use range pick-up brass, or brass fired in someone else's rifle/carbine with milspec chambers?
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have .300blk RCBS small base dies. I bought them years ago based on a bunch of research and well thats what I ended up with.

Lots say not needed.  Lots say it eliminates a lot of potential issues.

I see why reloaders stick with full length.  Once you know your specific chamber's spec, its better for brass life to resize as minimal as necessary to ensure reliability in YOUR firearms.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends.

Do you only have one AR?  Do you shoot new cartridges and only your own reloads?  

Do you have a match chamber?  Do you use your handloads in both auto-loaders and bolt actions?

Do you ever use range pick-up brass, or brass fired in someone else's rifle/carbine with milspec chambers?
View Quote

I have ARs with match chambers and with USGI M16 barrels.  I have 223 bolt rifles.  I reload USGI once-fired brass and range pick-up brass.  I do not segregate my reloads between rifles.  I do not own a small base resizing die and have never had an issue with inadequate sizing using standard dies.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure there are probably instances where they can help, but I've been using regular RCBS 223 FL sizing dies for 25 years without needing them.  I've owned a couple mini-14's & several AR's over the years chambered in 223, 5.56 & 223Wylde without needing the SB dies.  If you've established you are having a problem feeding reloaded ammunition & are certain that the SB dies will solve the problem, it's probably worth getting them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#10]
If sizing for multiple rifles I have found the RCBS die to be the best hands down.

I also roll form.

Odd to see Hornady mentioned.

I find them to be about the worst when it comes to specs.

YMMV depending on what you are doing and your set up.

I do find Dillon 308 dies to be the best at sizing and headspace but not the . 223.

Dillon 308 are my favorite in that caliber.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#12]
In general and as others have mentioned, no, you do not normally need SB dies.

But, every now & then you may encounter a rifle that does need them.  In 50 years of reloading I have run into two rifles that positively required SB dies to chamber reloaded ammo, the first was a Remington autoloader in 30-06 and the second was a Savage 99 in 234.

MLG
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#13]
IMO, just so you know your ammo will shoot in ANY ar.... Get a JP case gauge and a SB die.  

JP barrels have REALLY tight chambers (ie closer to SAAMI min spec) and their gauges are made to SAAMI min, where as alot of gauges are more at SAAMI max. I had Dillon gauges and thought i was GTG, then I started using JP barrels in 556 and 308 and some of the rounds would chamber all the way.  Dillon gauge said they were good. Ordered a JP 308 case gauge and ALOT werent to spec.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I load for multiple guns-Small base Redding Die. Works in everything.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I use the small base dies because I reload a lot of Military surplus brass.  This brass out of military weapons has a larger chamber so instead of bumping the shoulder back a lil more with a regular die. The small base die does it for me. Never had a problem with military brass since...
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#16]
My first rifle reloading experience was for a Remington 742.  I had to use small base dies for it to feed my reloads reliably.  I use SB dies for my 223/5.56 and still have the small base 30/06.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#18]
SB dies help for m1a/m14 series rifles
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I own? 10 or so ar rifles in various calibers and yes I use case gages on everything I reload. I full resize normally.

Im building a match grade spr in 6mm arc from a small precision rifle company. Im looking at die sets, I see the rcbs S/B set, but I don't need the taper crimp die.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have never used these before, normally I full resize for my ar rifles.  Is there any improvement when using a small base die?
View Quote

For use in self-loading rifles and pistols, YES. I use the RCBS SB dies for my .308 and 5.56 ammo to make sure that the ammo will load in all of my rifles (I have several different makes of barrels).
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not if a conventional die is adjusted.

I have never had a function problem in auto loaders from sizing with standard dies.  There will be plenty of reloaders that are convinced a small base sizer cured their problem, when the real issue was failure to push the case shoulder back far enough.
View Quote

I have a set of Dillon .308 dies that always left a ring at the base of the casing. Switched to the SB die and never looked back.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I purchased small base dies decades ago and only tried them once. I think they are a solution to a non existent problem. If you need more shoulder bump remove material from the top of your shell plate.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I basically gave my Dillon power trimmer away with six trim dies because I didn't like how much they constricted my case necks. Sold the entire set with the motor to a friend for $100. I disliked it that much.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I basically gave my Dillon power trimmer away with six trim dies because I didn't like how much they constricted my case necks. Sold the entire set with the motor to a friend for $100. I disliked it that much.
View Quote

I want to be your friend.

Where they factory Dillon trim dies?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I purchased small base dies decades ago and only tried them once. I think they are a solution to a non existent problem. If you need more shoulder bump remove material from the top of your shell plate.
View Quote

I wouldn't say non-existent but a very rare problem that everyone seems to use as their go to solution if they are having problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top