Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 11:28:26 PM EDT
So I'm trying to select a belt. I was originally going to do a hsgi suregrip, or other sleeve type padded belt.

However now I see people moving away from those and going toward 2 piece inner velcro and outer molle belt.

For your average shmuck who isn't using it for professional use, and just for taking a class or two and want to hold a holster and a few reloads, which would be better?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I just placed an order for a Ronin Task Force. I’m looking for something a little more low profile than my current setup.

I have a multicam/coyote setup on a wilder tactical belt pad if you’re interested. I can send you some pictures if you would like.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve got a padded HSGI slim belt.  The advantages are you can take it off as a whole without removing anything other than uncoiling the buckle.  It goes back on just as easy.  It makes taking a break, going to the restroom, and lunch really easy and convenient.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:48:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got rid of my HSGI sure grip belt, and went with a Ronin Tactics Shuto belt.  I like it a lot better.  It’s less bulky, and not hard to get on or off.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:09:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Are the two piece belts more or less comfortable than a padded belt?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I ran the HSGI Padded belt for a long time. Works fine. My only complaint is sometimes when doing various activities it can ride up or shift. Not a HUGE problem but somewhat annoying.

After getting into USPSA, and running an inner / outer rig, it was much more stable and I didn't have to think about things moving around. More of a PITA to get on and lined up properly, but once it's on its on.

I have a G-Code Operator's Belt now, and it's fine. I want to get a Blue Alpha Gear Molle belt just so I can run Esstac Kywi pouches.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I had an HSGI sure grip for a while, and got rid of it.  I’m on the skinnier side, and for me personally it was almost impossible for it not to bounce, shift, ride up, etc when moving or doing anything other than standing still.

I’ve gone to the Ronin as well.  It works well, donning and doffing isn’t really that time consuming, but it has some drawbacks as well.  Velcro wears out, that’s just a fact, and depending how much you plan on taking it off and on could be a factor.  Also, unlike a sleeved belt, you can’t easily use it over or with long shirts or sweatshirts that aren’t tucked in.

Just my personal observations after having had both.  Still prefer the Ronin, due to the stiffness it seems to be just as comfortable with a similar load on it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I use my Sure Grip when hiking or shooting. I'm usually wearing it for extended periods, so the padding is appreciated. If you were to have only a minimum of items on a belt and weren't going to be wearing for long spans of times, I would think an inner/outer belt system would be fine.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a TAG padded molle belt sleeve and I like it for my unprofesssional/recreational use.

Yes it does ride up but that could be solved with some belt keepers of some sort.

It is plenty comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:49:45 AM EDT
[#9]
so for a slim guy like me (6'1, 165) a 2 part belt might be better?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:52:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I originally did the outside padded belt thing but could never get the thing to stay in place.

Went to a Ronin senshi about 2 years ago and never looked back.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I use a Ronin and when I dont use a liner belt I use an HSGI suregrip velcro inner pad and it works fine, just rides up in back on top of my belt, but does not shift like a dedicated big HSGI.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I  tied the big war belts and thought they were just to bulky but I still wanted a easy on easy off system so I ended up with a Wilder tactical slotted belt pad.  With cobra belt it dosnt move around and is quite comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#13]
If you can get the loop on the inner belt. I have the hook on the inner belt (Tyr Tactical) and if you try to wear the inner belt without the outter belt then your shirts will get hung up on the hook.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got both, and prefer the inner/outer belt... less bulk, stays put... much more streamlined, especially when wearing a Plate carriers.

I keep the padded belt for use in winter... I let it out so it can fit around bulky winter clothing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got both, and prefer the inner/outer belt... less bulk, stays put... much more streamlined, especially when wearing a Plate carriers.

I keep the padded belt for use in winter... I let it out so it can fit around bulky winter clothing.
View Quote
Pretty much this.

My tyr low pro belt has their pad on it since I prefer wearing my normal pants belt. It's also just set up with pistol mag pouches but I have a kydex Raven AR pouch that is easy to add with their qms. It's much less bulky.

My hsgi suregrip has a lot more stuff and is needed sometimes.

I really don't know which I'd pick if I could only have one. The suregrip is more versatile I guess.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I've always used sleeves. I have a Tyr Gunfighter padded belt that's gone from personal to duty use while my unit tries to unf**k itself and figure out what gear they're going to issue us now that Big Blue is changing uniforms. I also have a Raptor Tactical Odin MkIII that I've never actually used but plan on making it my "summer" set up, as opposed to the Tyr being the "all season" belt. I never see myself going away from sleeves since, as was previously stated, you can't use two piece belts over outerwear.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#17]
If you're just looking to use it in a few classes, a competition belt may be the way to go.  I have a cheap Midway 2-piece with Blade-tech mag holders and it is great for just holding a pistol and a few mags.  I could easily throw an IFAK on there if I need it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#18]
About a year ago I went to a more minimalist setup with an Esstac inner and outer belt.  I will never go back.  Much less bulky and stays exactly where it’s supposed to.  And added bonus I can still use the outer belt without the inner in a pinch if I needed it quick.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
About a year ago I went to a more minimalist setup with an Esstac inner and outer belt.  I will never go back.  Much less bulky and stays exactly where it’s supposed to.  And added bonus I can still use the outer belt without the inner in a pinch if I needed it quick.
View Quote
That is true. There are minimalist pads too.

Even over a sweatshirt my tyr belt/pad doesn't shift.
Bradford USPSA, NOV 18, 2018
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I never see myself going away from sleeves since, as was previously stated, you can't use two piece belts over outerwear.
View Quote
I dont understand... I just said I use a 2 piece (Ronin) over outter clothing. You use a padded velcro liner. What was stated is get a 2 piece so you can use it over clothing without an inner belt or with an inner belt for more stability. Its not an either or. Who ever is saying you cant use a 2 piece system over clothes is wrong.

Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I dont understand... I just said I use a 2 piece (Ronin) over outter clothing. You use a padded velcro liner. What was stated is get a 2 piece so you can use it over clothing without an inner belt or with an inner belt for more stability. Its not an either or. Who ever is saying you cant use a 2 piece system over clothes is wrong.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51kAnBxXWML._UX679_.jpg
View Quote
Yup, I posted a video
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I tried an HSGI padded belt.  Thing was constantly shifting up my back, then my pants belt would pop out from under it and hold it up, very uncomfortable.  If I didn't wear a pants belt, the HSGI belt pushed my pants down.  I couldn't make it work for me.

Have an Esstac belt now and love it.  A little less comfortable just standing around, but doing any kind of activity it is way better.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I originally did the outside padded belt thing but could never get the thing to stay in place.

Went to a Ronin senshi about 2 years ago and never looked back.
View Quote
Crye MRB, but yea same story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top