Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2018 12:11:15 AM EDT
I realize the easy answer is get a longer barrel but I don't much like that idea. Anybody ever gotten a hand guard opened up on the muzzle end to fit a can inside? I don't need much just enough to get it in there and twist it on with a little clearance for heat. I should still have plenty of metal left I'm just not sure how to go about doing it.

Or hell, maybe i just need to buy another can.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I've resorted to a shorter handguard and then grew another upper out of the leftover handguard 'seed'.

A belt sander or a chop saw just delays buying a shorter handguard
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Best bet would be a suppressor compatible handguard, MI makes a good one for that tucked in integral look, buy a shorter handguard, or ad a spacer to your threads to get clearance if it's just a small amount of room needed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 3:14:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd rather spend some money to somebody with good machine tools to just take the metal out of the front and open it up a bit wider. It's close it almost fits my Gemtech now and there's plenty of metal left. I'm actually a big fan of the way I have it now, it's probably my favorite AR I've ever played with.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Did that 15 years ago on a 9mm Setup. Dremmeled a 64th wider and then used Alumablack to darken. Worked ok but was a pain to do as I had to go several inches in. Used a Raptor can with 3 lug.
Found out most Handguards are not completely round but oval.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a machinist take a little off one of my rails to fit and then sent it to get cerakoted. Do you have a friend in a shop that can do the work for you?
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 1:24:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Morgan over at Class 3 Machining can do this for you.  He actually just recently posted a photo of a similar job on their Facebook page.

**Edit**
I went back and found the picture I’m talking about...
https://scontent.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13100897_891996757573292_4596201222378249448_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=322dee49cf5c7d1df0a5a6d68ad0e3ef&oe=5B7098AF
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 6:07:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks very much.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I would make sure you have them open it up enough to allow for barrel whip. or do one of those cuts where the leave just the top rail intact like a swan sleeve this would be ideal as it would help with cooling as I've heard rails can really get warm with a suppressor inside them. looks pretty good also... just a thought
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:28:44 AM EDT
[#9]
sure your barrel is perfectly centered?  I have an eye for seeing minute differences in symmetry, more of a curse if you handyman jobs around the house.  Backed up by calipers, most barrels in ARs are not perfectly centered unless the front the receiver is squared off.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sure your barrel is perfectly centered?  I have an eye for seeing minute differences in symmetry, more of a curse if you handyman jobs around the house.  Backed up by calipers, most barrels in ARs are not perfectly centered unless the front the receiver is squared off.
View Quote
Can’t say I understand what your getting at
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Can’t say I understand what your getting at
View Quote
when your barrel is installed in your upper, are you sure the barrel will be perfectly centered inside the handguard.  I have done several ARs with longer free float handguards and they were all off just eyeballing them.  I used the brownells tool on one of the uppers and it definitely made a difference, here are a couple examples.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/receiver-tools/ar-15-m16-upper-receiver-lapping-tool-prod20220.aspx

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007368790/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-upper-receiver-lapping-tool-ar-15
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 2:55:28 AM EDT
[#12]
yea I got that.... still no idea what it's got to do with the question though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#13]
His point is that if it’s asymmetric you may need to take off more metal than you think.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Gotcha. Still gotta take metal out though
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I love that look as well!! I just went with a bigger rail. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#16]
QD can, No.

Direct thread can with cheapo 17.99 ebay hand guard, fuck yeah.

Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#17]
How much are you tucking? Also rifle caliber or pistol caliber. It’s going to be extra hot under the handrail especially with full power rifle loads.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How much are you tucking? Also rifle caliber or pistol caliber. It’s going to be extra hot under the handrail especially with full power rifle loads.
View Quote
If that’s for me, I’ll say I have about 5 inches of the suppressor under the handguard. It’s a 300 black out with pistol length gas system. I’ve ran it pretty hard before but never 100’s of rounds at one time hard. And I haven’t really ran a whole bunch of supers through it like that. It’s sighted in for subs and spends its time like that most. I never really noticed it getting hot even with no gloves on. I know how hot a suppressor gets and I assume if a guy was doing some hard core drills with lots of ammo it could be really hot but I’m not that cool.

Here’s an idea where the gas system is and where the suppressor begins.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top