Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2018 9:01:46 PM EDT
Was the basic barrel band style stock ever available in walnut? Looking at a pre warning label 10/22 at a pawnshop(116 SN prefix). Basic stock style with barrel band, but the stock looks like walnut. Is that possible, or is it more likely just a very nice birch? Very tempted on the rifle either way, they're asking $175 and other than a little surface rust on the barrel it's in great shape. The look of the stock is just a head-scratcher for me.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Was the basic barrel band style stock ever available in walnut? Looking at a pre warning label 10/22 at a pawnshop(116 SN prefix). Basic stock style with barrel band, but the stock looks like walnut. Is that possible, or is it more likely just a very nice birch? Very tempted on the rifle either way, they're asking $175 and other than a little surface rust on the barrel it's in great shape. The look of the stock is just a head-scratcher for me.
View Quote
Yes. 1979-ish was the last year for the walnut standard carbine stock.  I bought my first one in the spring of '78 and that was close to the last.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! Now I'm even more tempted. Not that I need another .22, but between the stock and the pre warning label it might have to be mine. Biggest drawback is it's a corporate pawnshop that's known for being firm on prices, especially on guns so no wiggle room.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Would it kill you if l told you mine cost $75 brand new including the Tasco 4x15 soda straw scope?  
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of the old walnut stocks have an aluminum butpad, Lyman rear sight, and came with a slotted magazine versus the current allen head magazine. If it's in good shape $175 is a good price.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would it kill you if l told you mine cost $75 brand new including the Tasco 4x15 soda straw scope?  
View Quote
Not at all. My grandpa's Marlin 39A cost him $65. When I replaced the stock and had it reblued for him I Paid more than twice that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Just make sure the receiver has a anodized aluminum finish instead of a painted one. A pre-warning barrel should have a anodized receiver attached to it. The band and butt plate should also be of anodized alum.. If so it's a good buy.

Folks like the look of the old walnut stocks and it's not all that unusual to find them stuck on later taper barreled actions. Heck, I have a like new spare walnut one myself I bought for $10.00 at the flea market in case I run across a plastic stocked version for cheap.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#7]
anyone got pics of the differences? i got an old 10/22 70s i think that i tore down and built a new gun using the the reciever, metal trigger housing and stripped bolt only. i still have all the oem parts though
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:53:10 AM EDT
[#8]
As l said mine is late in the run of walnut stocked guns but it cane with a plastic buttplate,  hex nut mag and the folding on the barrel.  It is anodized though.

I think, years ago, l found reference to the metal buttplate being dropped around 1972.  I would guess that's when the rest of the changes took place.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
anyone got pics of the differences? i got an old 10/22 70s i think that i tore down and built a new gun using the the reciever, metal trigger housing and stripped bolt only. i still have all the oem parts though
View Quote
The guns are pretty much identical, except for the stock being made of walnut and anodized instead of painted receivers. They may or may not have an aluminum instead of plastic buttplate. What caught my eye with this particular rifle was the grain in the stock looked different, looked closer and realized the grain looked like walnut. A friend of mine went and looked closer, he was the one who noticed the serial range.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The walnut stock guns are usually nice. Tend to have decent triggers.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Just bought it, will post a pic tonight after work. Mag has likely been replaced, it has the hex bolt and not slotted like mentioned above bit that's no big deal. Wood is in great shape. Lot of surface rust on the barrel but I think the worst of it will clean up well.  
They also had a US made Schrade Uncle Henry LB7 knife for 10.00. Yeah that one followed me out too.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. A pre warning rifle that I don't have to feel bad about using.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top