Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2018 9:36:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Pressure pad taped to either the pistol grip or foregrip? Other than that, it'll have to be a click button on and off...

Same with an AR light

There's also a rail adapter which replaces the front pistol grip (you can mount a grip to it in replacement of it); that might be better for them as well?

AUG A2/A2/USR & A3 Factory Austrian Grip Rail

You can see the pic of it there...
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Are they using 16" barrels?

They'd be much better off with the new F90 if they can get those.
I'd use 14" barrels in either case. That will help with the shadow.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Run a tapeswitch.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#6]
If they're interested in obtaining 14" barrels, someone can IM me. I've been advised there is a 20 quantity minimum for Steyr to import them, and I only need a few so it'd have to be a LE group buy.

I would really plan to replace the AUGs with F90s if possible though. It solves these issues with its rails, without any extra weight.

Otherwise they need a light with acceptable throw for the short side rail (and tape switches on the grip or receiver) or they could use an old-school barrel clamp mount to get the light forward.
Surefire used to sell a specific clamp for the A1/A2 front optic support.

I guess the third solution would be to relocate the front sling swivel, and mount the light upside-down on the front of the optics rail.
What optics are they using now?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#7]
A little off topic, but when our team did a week long demo (early 90) for going to them from a mix of Mpi81s, Uzis, and some 9mm colts, we played hell getting used to mag changes and manipulation. YMMV, but I'd recommend doing a lot of mag changes and manipulation in drills. That was before the (golden) age of lights, so I can't help there
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have to be brief, but I've done it three ways.

1. Mount to side rail, pressure pad on grip. Remove light to remove bbl.

2. Mount to side rail, pressure pad on front of trigger guard. It's actually a quite nice hold and works well.

3. Mount to the steyr grip rail. Pressure pad on grip attached to grip rail in grip insert.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
A3 or M1s?

FWIW, this works quite well, IMO - been through several night training and matches with this setup, although if A3 with OE rails, might also do a top-mount or 45* rail adapter off the top rail.
When using the light, I cradle the rifle with my support (left) hand, and it's quite easy to flash on/off via the tape switch.

Finally, there's also 'puplight' although it leaves a bad taste in my mouth as someone was spamming the heck out of BPF when it was launched, and it's TBD on holding up to sustained fire/heat.
pup light
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
you'll need this
- http://www.primaryarms.com/streamlight-battery-door-switch-assembly-stl69130 or this
- http://www.primaryarms.com/streamlight-remote-door-switch-assy-with-safe-off-tlr-1-series-tlr-2-series-stl69161

and then this:
- http://www.primaryarms.com/streamlight-remote-pressure-switch-plug-coil-tlr-1-series-tlr-2-series-stl69134

or this:

- http://www.primaryarms.com/streamlight-remote-pressure-switch-plug-straight-tlr-1-series-tlr-2-series-stl69135

I'm not sure that the 5 inch long straight wire is long enough for getting to the folding grip. Have to go with the coiled model.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:27:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Finally, there's also 'puplight' although it leaves a bad taste in my mouth as someone was spamming the heck out of BPF when it was launched, and it's TBD on holding up to sustained fire/heat.
pup light
View Quote
Can you describe sustained fire/heat?

I have a PupLight and would be willing to try generating sustained fire/heat as an experiment for the group.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Another optional accessory rail to consider that will open up mounting options...

https://corvusdefensio.com/en/shop/corvus-defensio-forward-accessory-rail-long/

Video showcasing it along with their other products...

Corvus Defensio Steyr AUG Evolution KIT
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
a local team here has switched to the AUG for their team. working with them yesterday they were issued a SL tlr1 light to go with them mounted on the right side pic rail. it is functionally useless in that position.

are there any good light mounts for the AUG? this is going to be a serious issue as currently they have to take the finger off the trigger to manipulate the light.
View Quote
It is standard practice to operate that type of weapon light with the trigger finger. Perhaps this unit's doctrine, or your own, may be different, but I wouldn't call the light "functionally useless" just because of that reason, alone.

I don't want to open up a debate about which policies of light use are right or wrong, and I think the mounting options, etc. have already been covered. They have to decide that for themselves (and it sounds like maybe they already have?). I just wanted to point out the possibility of working with what they have, and that plenty of agencies across the country operate that kind of light in exactly the way those are set up. In the end, it is up to them to decide whether to spend the money on equipment to match doctrine, or spend it on training time to modify unit members' mindsets.

Personally, I would want my light farther forward, and offset enough to not illuminate or be obscured by whatever I put on the muzzle. I learned that lesson when I mounted a light inside the handguard of my suppressed Tavor. The light made this wonderful crescent moon shape on the wall. Blech! On a side note, I am extremely happy to see another professional group taking the step forward into bullpups! Maybe that is a sign that they aren't completely opposed to a doctrine change, after all?
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 12:52:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Biggest reason I haven't gotten an AUG. Light is mandantory, and I don't like tape switches. Had too many issues with them in the past.

I think light mounting ability is the ONLY thing the Tavor/X95 beats the AUG on
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I have no problems personally with tape switches. I use them, I understand why others don't like them though.

The problem with putting lights on without using the rail section on the receiver is by replacing the folding grip with some grip rails. Of course there are options, none are super cheap.

My main AUG is an M1 with the scope (with red dot on top). I like the folding grip. But putting a light on the receiver rail or on the side rail on the scope was causing splashback from the light off the end of my suppressor. So I had to get some grip rails. You can use the light with your thumb or with a tape switch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Slayer...if you can post the pictures I sent you someone may have a source for the mounts I have. I received them when we setup miles weapons for NGB and needed to mount transmitters to Com Bloc weapons. I know the company I worked for purchased a bunch and NGB gave us a ton to supplement our purchase. Unfortunately the purchaser didn’t keep good records and I can’t locate the mount source.
Green
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#21]
These guys want the Pup Light mount, which mounts a 1" LED to the gas block.

Link Posted: 4/20/2018 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#23]
What issues, if I may ask?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Interesting. I would suspect the stock. NATO or A3?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a similar thing happen with US made AUG mags in my A1. Went back to Austrian only mags and have gtg ever since
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I can see where the two comments above me are headed, which is where I would start trouble shooting. Everything about the problems they're experiencing tells me it's a feeding issue related to the position of the magazine or a problem with the magazine.
By process of elimination you could figure out what the problem part is pretty quick. By just swapping known good parts you could find the issue in a couple minutes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#29]
The other issue could be a basic training problem related to the mags.

AUG mags are great, but if you strike the bottom of the mag hard when seating it with the bolt open (like you normally do with an AR), there is a risk of the top round popping up out of the mag and causing a failure to feed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes, but isn't that FTF only the top round? Once that mess is cleared you're gtg, right?
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Where is a good place to purchase a Pup mount?
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
rifles are back at steyr now. they had the same issue with my mags that ran fine in my rifle. these were all a3 regular stocks.

we could have done more for troubleshooting but given these were brand new issue rifles and i am still learning the platform myself it was better for them to just send them back. the bad thing is this is the second set of new rifles they have had fail. prior to these they had a lot of SBR FA ar15's from precision defense that all failed on the range.

i am starting to think these guys are just cursed when it comes to guns.
View Quote
Honest question...why are they going with odd duck choices for duty rifles? (Never heard of Precision Defense...and while I like the AUG I wouldn’t choose them just to be different...)  Issue some Colt 6921’s or 6933’s and call it a day.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't give up on the AUGS.

try even the Pmags but they seemed better to me than the US aug mags
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 3:02:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Where is a good place to purchase a Pup mount?
View Quote
https://www.ebay.com/p/The-Original-Pup-Light-Flashlight-Mount-for-Steyr-Aug-Microtech-MSAR-Rifles/1550985451

http://battlefieldinnovations.com/own-it.html
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:05:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Honest question...why are they going with odd duck choices for duty rifles? (Never heard of Precision Defense...and while I like the AUG I wouldn’t choose them just to be different...)  Issue some Colt 6921’s or 6933’s and call it a day.
View Quote
This. I like my AUG, but I wouldn't change up the known platform the team uses. For the price of the AUGs, they could have KAC or LMT rifles.

Somebody needs to have a chat with the local media to report some fraud, waste and abuse.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Steyr being local to them basically gives them local armoror support that they apparently don't currently have, which is a plus (if Bama is pointing out all the problems in their ARs...either they don't have an armoror to do that for them, or their armoror is shit )

I find it very very weird that they couldn't get them to run, any of them. I wonder if this is a training/education problem, honestly? Was the gas regulator set to the correct position? Did they stuff the things full of grease or something? Did they reassemble the bolt carrier group correctly when they stripped and cleaned them after they got them? ...they did strip and clean/lube them after they first got them, right?

Were they using actual Steyr mags, or did someone get a deal on MSAR or whatever mags and tried to use those instead? I haven't tried any of the AUG Pmags yet but I hear they're not bad either...I've got a pile of Steyr mags so there's no real reason for me to buy/try a Pmag.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
steyr is local.

other than that i honestly have no clue nor does anyone else on their team. their swat and local pd all us ar15's. they used ar15's before this purchase and are well trained on ar15's. this decision was made way above them at the team level. they were not happy with the decision originally and these issues are not helping.

the ar15's they got were shit. non staked bolts, loose gas blocks and i have no idea what bolts they were using but a couple of them had galled gouges into the bolt lugs new out of the box. i had zero doubts those guns were going to have problems.

as for the augs does steyr test fire them before shipping? none of these guns would run 2-3 rounds without a stoppage. no way that should have made it through qc.
View Quote
But the ARs had a nice Ceracoat job.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
the weekend i was there with them i checked all of that. granted i am still an AUG rookie. Gas regulator was tried in both positions. their mags worked fine in my rifle. my mags failed in theirs. i know for a fact one of them was cleaned and lubed his was done the night before at my house. the guns at best would run 1-2rnds before a misfeed. in many cases not at all.

they have an armorer but they all say he isn't great these rifles were his idea. i really think this is a rifle issue not a training issue. i had the same issues with their guns. We field stripped a couple of them but i didn;t notice anything out of the ordinary compared to my rifle. the only thing i didn't do was put their parts in my rifle.

it's weird to me as well. the one thing these rifles are known for is just plain working. to have this many NIB that fail to feed astounds me.
View Quote
Weird!

Well, Herbert will take care of the guys. He's an AUG whisperer. Having a whole batch go bad like that? It makes me wonder if someone tinkered with something though. Maybe a bad lot of a part?

What kind of ammo where they using?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Was it a bolt over base type malfunction? The recoil springs on a new AUG can be very stiff at first and cause that type of problem.  Leaving the bolt locked back for a few days helps
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
not a bolt over. rounds trying to enter the chamber at about an 80 degree angle and smashing into the top of the chamber. bolt hitting/closing on about the center of the rounds. it' s like the bolt was stripping the round and magazine as sending the nose skyward instead of towards the feed ramp if that makes sense. defiantly not a magazine issue though. didn;t seem to matter if the mag was full or only have 3-4 rounds in it.
View Quote
What you're describing happens one of two ways (in my limited experience) - short stroking; bolt doesn't come back far enough and tries feeding the round before it's fully presented in the mag, so the round bounces up

Or

Massively over-gassed; bolt rocks back at lightening speed and again starts trying to feed the round before the mag has fully presented the round, so it bounces up

I had the 2nd case happen with me and it got incredibly obvious when I put a can on the rifle. Herbert got the rifle, inspected it, and told me something was off with the bolt head, and replaced it. It's been fine since. When the rifles did function, how did they eject? Did they eject forward, like an overgassed AR, or did they eject back at about 4:00? Ejection patterns are very similar to an AR, and an overgassed rifle will throw brass the same way, in my (limited) experience...

It's worth noting I had zero problems with either of my Austrian AUGs, but both of those had 20" barrels. Shooting with a 20" barrel on my current Sabre-made AUG, it functioned just like it should...it was only with the 16" barrel that it started acting overgassed. Maybe that's a part of the puzzle too?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
wasn't really looking at ejection patterns but i wan to say they were coming out about 3-4 o'clock. recoil didn't "feel" any different from my gun but i know that really doesn't mean much. these are all 16" a3.

i still just can't believe they all have the same issue and this wasn't found during testing before shipment.
View Quote
Didn't you say in your other thread that it was 2 of their 4 rifles that were having problems?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 12:23:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Well, I hope the issues get sorted out and they stick with the AUGs. Other agencies use them and I'm a fan. :) But I would totally understand if they went back to a top quality AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top