Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2021 12:51:44 PM EDT
My local pawn shop occcaisinally gets to milsurp ammo.  For the cost of a pack of smokes I picked up 59 silver tip  10 yellow tip and 19 FMJ 7.62x54r rounds and 3 of the fake leather pouchers..  

I was thinking it was worth it for the powder. maybe its close to 4895. and resize the bullets to .308.
reload it to M2
make a cheap range day with a garand

i could buy a mosin maybe LOL.. I hate the guns though
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you let me have it?

I need it.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Surplus 54r powder is very dirty.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Surplus 54r powder is very dirty.
View Quote

How so? Like corrosive?

I clean my guns
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How so? Like corrosive?

I clean my guns
View Quote

Hard tell tell unless we know the manufacture co./date. But yes clean the rifle after and good to go!
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Simply not worth the effort my friend!

Why not take it to your next gunshow and either sell or trade for ready to shoot ammo you can use.

I'm sure that someone with a Mosin would greatly appreciate your gesture!

I'd sell it along with the cartridge case!
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]
It's my understanding that it's the primers that are corrosive, not the powder.  It's modern "smokeless" powder, so not black powder that leaves a salt layer on the metal.

The older primers apparently also left a salt substance in the chambers and on the bolts, which is probably why the Mosin bolts are chromed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's my understanding that it's the primers that are corrosive, not the powder.  It's modern "smokeless" powder, so not black powder that leaves a salt layer on the metal.

The older primers apparently also left a salt substance in the chambers and on the bolts, which is probably why the Mosin bolts are chromed.
View Quote
Mosin bolts are not chromed.  Just polished steel.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I see.  It is some sort of stainless steel then, as it stays shiny and doesn't rust, even without a bluing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Im just holding it as trade collateral.

Ive actually loaded alot of resized projectiles before.
Ive got the thing to do it.
Plus i dont mind holding it for collector value.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Im just holding it as trade collateral.

Ive actually loaded alot of resized projectiles before.
Ive got the thing to do it.
Plus i dont mind holding it for collector value.
View Quote
Just for info.   Silver tip is regular light ball, yellow tip is heavy ball and the plain FMJ is silver tip without the paint.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Since I don't smoke I have no idea if that is a good or bad deal. My local Academy the other day had the house brand Barnual for $12 a box of 20. It is steel cased and non corrosive. It was under $10 a box pre covid.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just for info.   Silver tip is regular light ball, yellow tip is heavy ball and the plain FMJ is silver tip without the paint.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Close. Silver tip is steel core light ball, yellow is heavy lead core ball, silver and yellow is steel core heavy ball. Unpainted surplus would be lead core if old (pre 1950 or thereabouts) or steel core if newer than app 1985. As with anything dealing with Soviet/Eastern bloc military production, those are just some general guidelines.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Close. Silver tip is steel core light ball, yellow is heavy lead core ball, silver and yellow is steel core heavy ball. Unpainted surplus would be lead core if old (pre 1950 or thereabouts) or steel core if newer than app 1985. As with anything dealing with Soviet/Eastern bloc military production, those are just some general guidelines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't take much stock in the steel core vs lead core...none of the above is armor piercing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 8:27:07 AM EDT
[#15]
A lot of folks try to market the silver tip steel core as AP ammo. This however, is not the case. It is simply a mild steel core as it is a cheaper material than lead.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't take much stock in the steel core vs lead core...none of the above is armor piercing.
View Quote

Oh, I agree. It's a very mild steel core and some are even blunt tipped. Several years ago just to prove that the steel core made little to no difference in penetration over lead core I shot a bunch of different types into layered 1/8" steel plates and also into tree trunks. Bullet weight made a bigger difference than core material with ~185 grain bullets being the best by far, light ball (~147 grain) second then the super heavy but super slow 200+ grain being worst but not by much.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Silver tip has nothing to do with anything other than the bullet weight.  Silver tip denotes a 147gr projectile, or light ball as it's referred to.

Nothing at all to do with bullet construction
View Quote

Other than the steel core, no it doesn't. The silver paint is on there to distinguish between the lead cored and steel cored bullets. Just silver is light ball, while yellow and silver is steel core heavy ball.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, there is either potassium chlorate or sodium perchlorate used in the primer.  They deposit a salt residue.  Clean gun normally after shooting, some people clean with water first. Been shooting them for decades without an issue, just clean the gun after using it, don't wait a day or two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top