Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2021 7:22:13 PM EDT
TL;DR - If you are looking for a light handy bolt gun in 223, 6.5g, .300bo, or 762x39 with a threaded barrel hurry up and find one of these.

The longer version -

First, I'll admit that I've always thought a 762x39 bolt gun on a smaller action would be the bees knees and one has been on my wants-badly list ever since I found out about the Zastava mini-Mausers (Interarms, Chas. Daley, Remington, etc imported them over the years).  Two years ago when I was busy buying AR stuff before any kind of panic they were plentiful on gun broker in both the x39 and 223 (and other calibers).  Finally got the money a month ago, and .... nope.  Gone.  Found out about the Howa mini.... too late. Or so I thought....  Based on the other thread about missing the boat, I was able to find some in 223 online via Cabela's used guns area for cheap... and missed them by 10 minutes.  Was gonna get a different fudd gun, checked Cabela's one last time and found a Howa Mini in 762x39.  Full MSRP ($600), but I figured I'd regret it if I didn't get it.  So I got it.   And this is my first hands-on but not shooting review (range day is Saturday....)

First, I was not expecting a full wrap camo.  The pic showed a plain black finish on action and barrel, with a camo stock.  I was sent a different camo pattern, and everything but the butt pad, mag well, and bolt are wrapped.  I can tell it is wrapped - they didn't line stuff up neatly and there is a nice straight line down the bottom of the barrel where the pattern doesn't match... Not exactly my cup of tea in general, but there is a guy that does refinishing just down the road from my house....

The rifle itself is light and handy, and feels like a quality grown up size 22 in your hands and on your shoulder.  Think CZ455, not Savage F from walmart.  Barrel is 20" long, and tapers slightly ending at .750" at the threads.  Threading on the .30 calibers is the standard 5/8x24 and on 223 guns it is 1/2x28, unsure of what the 6.5g comes with.  It comes with thread protector installed. The stock while plastic/synthetic (ie, not wood or laminate) is not flimsy and flexible at the fore end, though visually I don't believe it can be fully free floated since I can see contact pretty much along the length of both sides.   May need to look at either hogging it out and free floating or full length bedding....

Rifle has no sights, and the Howa uses Remington 700 style bases, front is curved underneath and the rear is flat.  Rifle did not have plug screws installed, and the wrap job has the holes cleared perfectly - no over hang, centered, and the hole in the wrap is the exact size of the hole in the receiver.  Pretty nice attention to detail for something that will be hidden immediately.  I installed a set of Leupold Rifleman bases, and a pair of 1" medium height Burris Zee rings.  This combo gives perfect clearance on the bolt handle with my inexpensive Simmons Whitetail Classic 2-7x32 scope.  Why did I put a $50 scope on a $600 rifle?  I have a older WTC 6.5-20x50 that is amazing quality for the price, and I wanted to find out if the "newly" (ie, 2-3 years ago?) reintroduced WTC line was of similar quality as the older versions.  Works great at dusk (not awake at dawn...) and mid day in full Florida sun, gathers light nicely and the picture is very clear.  Well worth the minimal cost.

The "bad" part about these rifles is the magazine well and magazine release, and magazine itself.  The trigger guard and mag well (aka "bottom metal") is plastic, as is the magazine itself.  The mag release is sorta like a 10/22, only at the front of the mag.  Your hand is in the perfect spot to catch the mag when you use the release.... but I could see the release getting snagged/caught on something if you are belly crawling, pushing thru brush, etc.  The mag does drop free, and extras run $30-40 from LSI (the Howa importer).  Takes a gentle tap to properly seat the mag when empty with the bolt open or closed, I haven't loaded it yet but I doubt it will suddenly get better.  

The bolt looks like it could be part of a "grownup" rimfire (again think CZ455) only slightly larger, and scaled nicely to the size of the entire package.  Bolt moves smooth, and the 3 position safety is easy to reach on right rear of receiver - full forward is "fire". Bolt release is on left rear of receiver, and you do not need to pull the trigger - just depress and pull bolt back.  Bolt has two lugs, and a recessed bolt face much like an AR-15.  I've read on the internet (so it must be true) that the 223 versions use actual AR ejectors/extractors... Not taking any bolts apart to find out... but it looks like it could be...

The trigger is amazing.  Two stage but very light, with a clean break and minimal travel afterwards.  Equal to my Savage accutriggers without the doohickey on the trigger face, and equal to my 'smith worked over 10/22 trigger.  I've read elsewhere that the factory trigger is usually around 3-3.5lbs and there are replacement springs that will drop it in half.  Personally I think the trigger is perfect as is for anything but a super precision bench-only gun.

While doing the hurry up and wait for my bg check, etc. I did more research - apparently there is an outfit that will retrofit these to use a Savage style (but NOT Savage compatible) barrel nut system and so anything with 223 or 762x39/6.5g bolt face will convert.  Or you could find one of the factory offerings in 223, 6.5g, .300bo or 762x39.  There is aftermarket bottom metal in actual metal available, and there are metal mag base plates available, I'm unsure of mag bodies.  For those thinking "use AR mags!" yeah, would be nice but you'd need to widen the action to be able to do it....

In short, for what I paid this is a quality rifle.   For what the 223 versions cost ($450) they are almost a steal.  

I can't wait until range day Saturday!

If you are looking for a light handy bolt gun that is already threaded go find one of these and enjoy.

(no pix until I solve the storage space issues on my iThing)

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
My favorite riffle is a Howa 1500 in .223
I've been looking for the mini in 7.62x39 ever since i heard about them.  No luck finding one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
CZ makes a mini action 7.62x39 I've had my eye on them for a while .
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My favorite riffle is a Howa 1500 in .223
I've been looking for the mini in 7.62x39 ever since i heard about them.  No luck finding one.
View Quote

Someone else messaged me last week about where I got mine - at the time, I had just seen one in the EE.

They are out there - keep looking.  That or one of the Zastava minis - nice blueing and walnut....
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Someone else messaged me last week about where I got mine - at the time, I had just seen one in the EE.

They are out there - keep looking.  That or one of the Zastava minis - nice blueing and walnut....
View Quote

LOL....yeah, and I missed it.  Oh well.  I've been looking out for a bolt 7.62x39 for a while.  I just picked up a Howa Mini in .223 last month.  I haven't had it to the range yet, but I should be getting my cerakoted chassis back very soon.  I'm stoked.

ETA is seems if you check Cabela's used guns, they seem to get barely used (or in the case of mine, not used at all) Minis in .223 frequently.

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The JTAC elf owl is pretty cool looking. It's based off the howa mini action
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The JTAC elf owl is pretty cool looking. It's based off the howa mini action
View Quote

Have one in 300BO and it's the tits. Want to get a 6.5 Grendel too
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Jefferson Outdoors sell a metal bottom metal for the Howa Mini action.   JO also sell a closed bottom metal with internal magazine.   Both these products get very good reviews.   I was going to buy a Howa Mini action in 6.5 Grendel when a Friend sold me his Cz 527 American in 6.5 Grendel.   The only downside to the Cz 527 American is the light 24” barrel.   For hunting it’s a little long and for target shooting it heats up pretty quick.   I haven’t decided if I will chop the barrel and thread it.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either the Cz or Howa.   Ruger also sell a rifle chambered for 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel.   The Ruger 6.5 Grendel uses AR-15 6.5 Grendel magazines.

https://www.jeffersonoutdoor.com/shop/howa-mini-flush-bottom-metal

Oregon Gunsmith also sell a bottom metal for the Howa Mini Action.   There are numerous stock options and chassis for the Howa mini actions.

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Got ~30 rounds down the tube and have it mostly sighted in.

The single stack 5 round magazine is easy to load, and still requires that tap to fully seat.  Pleasure to shoot.  Little more thump on the shoulder than I was expecting, but it weighs less than a SKS by a good bit and it is a bolt gun, so not too surprising.

Unfortunately, the rifle range faces due east and with the full Florida sun in your eyes it makes it really hard to shoot well...

Have a real sight in session planned for Monday afternoon so I'll be in shade and sun will be behind me, so I'll be able to really give it a proper sighting in and try several types of ammo and report back on accuracy.

Link Posted: 6/24/2021 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Have one in 300BO and it's the tits. Want to get a 6.5 Grendel too
View Quote

Any mag reliability issues with heavy Sub loads? I have read about nose-dives.
@X_Ring_903
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@X_Ring_903
View Quote

Only a couple mags worth of subs through it so far and no problems. It's main function is a deer/hog gun for my 6 yr old. Shots at 40-60 yards using barnes TTSX 110 grain bullets. I will say it's hella fun with subs though!
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Got some more range time, using Wolf steel case and just banging a 200 yard 6" gong.  Almost too easy, even with a cheap 2-7x scope.

Also got to put 20 rounds down the tube with a Bowers Group Vers30 suppressor. Technically not hearing safe, not really different from a high velocity 22lr from a carbine or pistol.  Gun is light and handy enough that the can didn't really ruin the balance too much.

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I got this for the bottom.  The 527 magazines are exceptionally well made, but they are expensive.  

Mini to 527
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got this for the bottom.  The 527 magazines are exceptionally well made, but they are expensive.  

Mini to 527
View Quote

Nice. I wonder if there is a chassis that can use that.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@X_Ring_903
View Quote

My 300BO shooting 190 subs shoots great. No issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top