Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Posted: 10/29/2019 3:10:26 PM EDT
Looks like Sampson manufacturing is going to start making Mini-14 folding stocks.Watching an interview with someone from Sampson manufacturing  they are going to start making them almost exactly like the original.They will be made from the original molds From Ruger.The only difference is the pistol grip, which will be made from different material and the way the its assembled one part will be epoxied rather than welded .Jake
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Good news, but I'll need to see one to sold on it... If its just like the original, I'll be happy!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Samson released this image in April.
Attachment Attached File

Hopefully they've revised it since then, because that isn't close enough to be a hot seller IMHO.

@Miami_JBT wrote an article about it for TTAG: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/samson-manufacturing-is-bringing-back-the-mini-14-gb-side-folding-stock/
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 2:36:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Let’s hope they are not expecting people to pay there weight in gold for them either.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Done
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let’s hope they are not expecting people to pay there weight in gold for them either.
View Quote
They have facebook stuff, say it's sub$300 retail.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd love a black plastic & blued steel (rather than wood & stainless) version for my 300blk.

Huh, they say it probably won't fit the older guns. It'd suck if it didn't fit my wood & stainless GB model.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 7:46:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I am very excited.

I love that they went all out and worked with Ruger. Interview states wood sourced from Ruger and parts from original casts by Samson.

Grip will be different and the hardware that attaches the grip and metal to the wood will be different. Detectable difference most probably.

MSRP under $300, I wonder what the street price will be?

Used factory stocks, STOCK ONLY will take a significant loss in value.

GBs folders will still be GBs. They still will get a premium. Ruger will always have records if it was a factory folder.

Bayonet lug GBs are still my favorite.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think factory stocks fit the 180 series.
View Quote
You are correct.

181 and later series all use the modern stock inletting.

AC-556 stocks...Click To View Spoiler

180/190 series guns are different from later designs in several significant ways (stock, bolt, extractor, bolt hold-open, selector if AC-556).

Short version = don't buy a 180 series Mini-14 (or a 190 series AC-556), since those specific parts are unobtanium, and Ruger dropped support for them long ago when they ran out of the old parts.

Pic of 180 series for clarity:
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am very excited.

I love that they went all out and worked with Ruger. Interview states wood sourced from Ruger and parts from original casts by Samson.

Grip will be different and the hardware that attaches the grip and metal to the wood will be different. Detectable difference most probably.
View Quote
The grip material will be different, a newer polymer rather than Bakelite, although they indicated they are working on making the new grip look shiny like the originals.

I didn't get the impression the grip attachment/hardware would be different, but rather the attachment mechanism for the stock tube to the folding stock unit would be a high tech adhesive rather than welding.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Short version = don't buy a 180 series Mini-14 (or a 190 series AC-556), since those specific parts are unobtanium, and Ruger dropped support for them long ago when they ran out of the old parts.
View Quote
Don't buy a 180 series as a shooter. They are however interesting from a collector perspective, given the unique features of the design.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The grip material will be different, a newer polymer rather than Bakelite, although they indicated they are working on making the new grip look shiny like the originals.

I didn't get the impression the grip attachment/hardware would be different, but rather the attachment mechanism for the stock tube to the folding stock unit would be a high tech adhesive rather than welding.
View Quote
sourcing screws/bolts is next to impossible for reproductions. they will use current production since it will be stupid to make their own. they will be detectable compared to the originals. current production screws for the folder are often sold on ebay. same size but you can tell right away. i assume it will be the same with what samsom uses.

i am very excited. it looks to be a very nice product at a very nice price. lets say $290 since msrp is stated at less than $300.

heck an ace metal stock with hardware runs almost $200. $290 is buying a damn lot of product with this ruger folder.

i see myself getting two.  i would guess they would sell 1000+ stocks. demand is very high imo.

another thing to think about is the SS finish. ruger used three SS finishes, from a high polished to very matte. i do not care about it but some owners will see a difference depending on what ss rifle they have.

a few years ago original grips were sold surplus for $5-$8. some people are set .
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow, after years of screaming it is finally happening!
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I love it when a plan comes together!
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not gonna lie, I think I want one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Don't buy a 180 series as a shooter. They are however interesting from a collector perspective, given the unique features of the design.  
View Quote
My first Mini was a 180.  Definitely a different duck from the later guns.  I never learned the secret of getting the bolt in and out of the receiver for cleaning.  Or I never remembered it.  The later guns were far superior on that point.

A folding stock is tempting.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#19]
i am watching this auction for fun.

seller has reduced price once already.

it should  say something about prices going south.

without samson, it would have sold already?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842337082
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
without samson, it would have sold already?
View Quote
I think the blued ones have been selling for around $500, but I haven't been tracking them with great precision.
Stainless generally adds $50 to $100 premium.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Done
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Absolutely.

That's what I meant.
(I was projecting. I shoot everything.)
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I called Sampson and spoke with their sales staff about this project.  I told them that the folding stock versions all had a different lower gas block with the swivel on the side, not the bottom.  I suggested that they consider also making a side swivel mounted lower gas block and offer it as an option.  The salesman I spoke with was not on the team developing the stock, however, he thought it was a good idea and was composing an email to that team with my suggestion as we spoke.  Maybe we'll see one in the future.
View Quote
samson already addressed the topic on their fb page some time back. their reply was something like they were looking at it.

does not hurt to press them over and over. calls, emails and fb posts. keep asking to gauge demand.

if ruger found and provided them the casts for the other components then maybe they can find that cast for them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to have a Falcon Folder, which was an earlier copy.  Looks and A-Team aside, it’s actually pretty uncomfortable to shoot in the extended position.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
golf clap
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I used to have a Falcon Folder, which was an earlier copy.  Looks and A-Team aside, it’s actually pretty uncomfortable to shoot in the extended position.
View Quote
I have one on my blued GB...………….it takes some getting used to, but it works pretty good

This new stock might make me want to pick up a stainless one now to go with my blued GB. Gotten bored with the new guns and got into a retro kick
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wonder if it would close with a neoprene sleeve over the strut?  I can see where that would suck donkey balls in cold weather.
View Quote
I don't see why it wouldnt
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I wonder if it would close with a neoprene sleeve over the strut?  I can see where that would suck donkey balls in cold weather.
View Quote
West Virginia problems

$300.00... if stainless, I'll find the funds. Maybe sell my Remington R51.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You are correct.

180/190 series guns are different from later designs in several significant ways (stock, bolt, extractor, bolt hold-open, selector if AC-556).

https://images.gunsinternational.com/listings_sub/acc_342/gi_101011739/Ruger-Mini-14-223-Rem_101011739_342_3CA05CB199A4EDBD.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think factory stocks fit the 180 series.
You are correct.

https://images.gunsinternational.com/listings_sub/acc_342/gi_101011739/Ruger-Mini-14-223-Rem_101011739_342_3CA05CB199A4EDBD.jpg
I don't think Ruger even provides service to the old AC556 guns anymore
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#31]
so who would be the best samson distributor to contact with the best chance of getting one in the first release?

oh wait.......... distributor is not dealer. i think they have to go to the distributor then dealer.

heck, if they were sold factory direct samson could cut out two middle men and wtf the price would be way less.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#32]
When are these supposed to be released?
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#33]
If this really comes to pass at an OK price point I'm going to have to start keeping an eye open for used Minis.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
so who would be the best samson distributor to contact with the best chance of getting one in the first release?

oh wait.......... distributor is not dealer. i think they have to go to the distributor then dealer.

heck, if they were sold factory direct samson could cut out two middle men and wtf the price would be way less.
View Quote
That's not how distribution works.  If a product is sold by the manufacturer to end users for a the lowest price possible, distributors and dealers have no reason to purchase 1000 units since they don't get a discount.

When a manufacturer who sells to distributors and dealers also sells to retail, the retail cost must be higher for this reason, and because it costs a LOT more for the manufacturer to take one order, process one order, package one order, ship one order, and then deal with that one customer who can't read the directions on installing the one thing they purchased.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm glad to see this happen, the price of the real Ruger stuff will suffer a bit in the short term, but like everything retro the real deal will always be in demand & expensive.
Like retro gun barrels, i had a barrel maker make me a custom  barrel in 1-14 twist, cut to the original super thin profile of the first AR15 barrels, it was not cheap but still not anywhere near the going price of an original  barrels.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 2:02:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I will be getting one for sure. My mini has been wating for years for one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 3:00:11 AM EDT
[#37]
God Bless America and our capitalistic system!!!   If you build it, they will come!!!

I'm in for one, possibly two!!!
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#38]
How long do you think it will be until Ruger releases a "Samson" variant, ala the Ruger American Hunter w/Magpul?
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#39]
I do not understand the issue with using a shiny black plastic for the grip.

The original material may not be found, but there is no issue with finding another.

Shiny black plastic/poly is readily out there and is commonly used in injection.

It will not be original but could look very close.

I hope the final product includes it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Wonderful customer service from Samsom........

I requested via email about who will be the stocking distributer and what dealers and they will not reply.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wonderful customer service from Samsom........

I requested via email about who will be the stocking distributer and what dealers and they will not reply.
View Quote
Maybe they don't have it nailed down yet.  Just because you ask, doesn't mean that there is always an answer available.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Maybe they don't have it nailed down yet.  Just because you ask, doesn't mean that there is always an answer available.
View Quote
then you courteously reply with that or something like that. Oh wait.... I forgot, customer service is now millennial service, completely different things.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

then you courteously reply with that or something like that. Oh wait.... I forgot, customer service is now millennial service, completely different things.
View Quote
I can answer for Samson-  Until dealers or distributors place orders with Samson, they do not know who will be stocking dealers or distributors.

Their dealers and distributors are not required to carry the entire line of Samson products.  Brownells carries some of Samson's products, Modway carries some, Bass Pro carries a few items.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I can answer for Samson-  Until dealers or distributors place orders with Samson, they do not know who will be stocking dealers or distributors.

Their dealers and distributors are not required to carry the entire line of Samson products.  Brownells carries some of Samson's products, Modway carries some, Bass Pro carries a few items.
View Quote
This.

they might not know yet, they might be waiting for sufficient stock on hand, they might be ironing down contract disputes before they can offer it for sale, they might be subcontracting with Ruger direct (ala Manticore and CZ for the Scorpion bullpup which CZ has sat on ).

Or maybe they'll release it at SHOT, right after it's banned in VA
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I think the blued ones have been selling for around $500, but I haven't been tracking them with great precision.
Stainless generally adds $50 to $100 premium.
View Quote
Still in demand. They have been over $500 for a long time.

May sell for almost $700.

Buyers may not know about the reproduction or need only a blue model.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842337082
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#46]
So, does anyone have a release date for this product?
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Where’s the stud on the forend that the stock locks on to when it’s folded?
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#49]
They say they are having issues making shiny black plastic?  Beretta still makes some shiny black plastic grips for their traditional mini pistols.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They say they are having issues making shiny black plastic?  Beretta still makes some shiny black plastic grips for their traditional mini pistols.
View Quote
i am pleased they are taking every step to make them as correct as possible.

the poly (not original) needed is readily available.

i bet they will succeed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top