Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2018 1:19:09 AM EDT
Been a fixed blade guy the whole time.  I see a lot of fine choices for folding knives but seeking recommendations.  I will carry this around me for self defense and typically concealed.  A fun show is coming this weekend and looking to pick up one there.

ETA:  budget is $100 or less.  if that is not enough then I'm ok with raising my budget a little if you know its worth it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Kershaw.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#2]
For everyday use, Benchmade Griptilian.

Never have done business with this vendor but as an example only:
Benchmade 556 Mini-Griptilian Knife $93.50
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kershaw.
View Quote
The link is a good value when you can find one in M390 for under a 100 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Spyderco Endura; well within your budget, long-time reputation, and an excellent folder.  Get the version with the Emerson Wave for extremely fast deployment from the pocket:

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Kershaw.
View Quote
This and I will go further and say the Blur. You can get one in S30V for around $70 I believe. I have carried mine everyday for the past 4 years.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 1:06:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the recommendations.  I will be getting my first folder very soon.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Spyderco is pretty good.  Easy open with one hand.  I like the Manix and Military models.  I also like Buck 110 knives but you need two hands to open them.  Buck is classic stuff.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Spyderco knives.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I rotate between a ZT350, Spyderco Manix 2 and now a Spyderco Para 2.  The size of all three works well for me.  You can get all three for around $100-$115 if you can find a good deal.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Seconding many in this thread. Kershaw makes super solid knives with a top tier warranty. Just be sure to select a knife with good steel like M390, S30V, S35VN, etc...

Spyderco makes great knives but the ones you want are around $130. The Delica and Endura can be had at your price point but both benefit greatly from upgrades that propel them to a higher price point.

The Benchmade Griptillian is also a solid knife, but again benefits from upgrades. See the 555-1 and 550-1. Benchmade as a brand also tends to cost more for the same quality as other knife makers. That said, I love their designs and own 4 BM's.

As with firearms, do a bit of research. If you need a knife that slices well, get a thinner blade. If you need something tough you will beat up, cut heavy cardboard with, occasionally ding the blade on, then get a thicker knife with tougher steel. If you are carrying everyday in an office, maybe get a slimmer and lighter knife, if you are carrying on a belt or as a first responder, get a heavy duty package.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:53:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Spyderco Endura; well within your budget, long-time reputation, and an excellent folder.  Get the version with the Emerson Wave for extremely fast deployment from the pocket:

https://www.bladehq.com/imgs/shop-by-brand/all-spyderco/spyderco-endura-emerson-opener-c10pgyw-large.jpg

ROCK6
View Quote
Quoting for truth.

It's HANDS DOWN the best EDC option under 100 bones.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:58:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.bladehq.com/imgs/shop-by-brand/all-spyderco/spyderco-endura-emerson-opener-c10pgyw-large.jpg

ROCK6
View Quote
Or

Link Posted: 7/29/2018 12:59:56 AM EDT
[#13]
While I still want a Matriarch....it's really not practical for anything other than leaving huge nasty gashes in flesh.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote
Great option, but don't "wave" it too often. The lock will peen and then pop loose and close on you. I ruined my endura this way, but it took several years. Reasonable for the cost of the knife.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top