Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2018 7:08:49 PM EDT
birch stocked Mini 14 with 20rd magazines. The Ellsworth AFB base exchange wanted $775 for it.

Fit and finish looked very good and the stock had nice color and figure to it.

If I didn't already own a 583 series birch stocked rifle I'd probably have picked it up.

I'm glad to see Ruger is still paying attention to the Mini.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#1]
New Minis are a big problem for stocking dealers right now.

They are not selling. That $700+ retail price is really hurting sales.

Wmart even had problems moving them at $599 and had to go down to $399 to get rid of them.

If I were a dealer I would never *stock* one. Customer order only.

I would bet *Ruger corporate is pissed with the Wmart event. That clearance event will have a impact for a few years on depressing retail prices and sales on the Mini-14.

Its a $550 item and at that price would be below current dealer cost.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New Minis are a big problem for stocking dealers right now.

They are not selling. That $700+ retail price is really hurting sales.

Wmart even had problems moving them at $599 and had to go down to $399 to get rid of them.

If I were a dealer I would never *stock* one. Customer order only.

I would bet *Ruger corporate is pissed with the Wmart event. That clearance event will have a impact for a few years on depressing retail prices and sales on the Mini-14.

Its a $550 item and at that price would be below current dealer cost.
View Quote
I agree that at most they should be a $575 rifle
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am simply guessing, but I reckon Ruger still makes the Mini because it is "compliant" with many States' firearm laws, and since many States are poised to restrict Semi-Auto firearms, Ruger thinks they will be able to sell quite a few more.

The newest Minis are, from all accounts, quite respectable as far as accuracy goes, and also very reliable.  Historically, the price for the Mini has always been relatively high, compared to the AR, with some exceptions.  Certainly in the days when the civvy AR was uncommon, the price for the available Mini was preferable to the almost unobtainable AR.

IMHO, the drawback to the Mini is that it requires the user to use great care and proper tools when cleaning the bore.  The use of a coated cleaning rod AND a muzzle guide is mandatory, lest the muzzle of the Mini be damaged, thus adversely affecting accuracy.

Nowadays, things are different, but the AR is slowly being banned in many States, while the Mini seems to run under the radar somehow.  Perhaps the lack of an "evil" pistol grip and no bayonet lug favor the Mini over the Black, EVIL AR.  Not always, though.  Times are changing, and soon every self-loading rifle will be challenged. Mark my words.
View Quote
Agree.  To make them less "ugly" to the left I think to avoid the back rifle stigma they all should come out of the factory with a wood stock and Ruger could sell the black plastic stock on the side.  I really think many folks just look at the "black" part of the rifle and would ignore the rest.  
kwg
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Ruger would sell a lot more with an upgrade in the design to AR mags!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Ruger is too invested in their current design that uses their current magazine.  I would like to see the day when they come up with a second use for their Mini 14 magazines.  Like they did with the 7.62x39 magazine in their Mini 30 and bolt action Ranch rifle.   Besides, the Mini has been sold around the world and their is a market for the design, maybe not so much in America but their is a market.
kwg
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ruger is too invested in their current design that uses their current magazine.  I would like to see the day when they come up with a second use for their Mini 14 magazines.  Like they did with the 7.62x39 magazine in their Mini 30 and bolt action Ranch rifle.   Besides, the Mini has been sold around the world and their is a market for the design, maybe not so much in America but their is a market.
kwg
View Quote
I'm surprised they didn't do an American Ranch 5.56 that uses Mini 14 magazines
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A good part of the Mini's alleged inaccuracy issues was the OEM loose-fitting wooden stock.  Most Mini owners reported an instant accuracy increase after installing a tight-fitting aftermarket stock.  Making a tight-fitting wooden stock is a lot more expensive than making a tight-fitting syn stock.
View Quote
Or, at the cost of virtually nothing, just shimming the birch stock to tighten the fit.  Not rocket science but does take a bit of thought rather than automatically slapping leather for something you've been told to buy but really don't need.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a Mini 14 wood stock but I have a gray laminated Mini 14 stock of unknown brand and I bedded it to a series 184 receiver with JB Weld.  It's a nice tight fit and the color matches.  As per COSteve I also shimmed a synthetic stock with small squares of an old credit card.  I held the pieces in place with some super glue before sliding in the receiver for a nice tight fit.

kwg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top