Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2018 9:21:28 AM EDT
I already have a 17S set up for CQB, but now Im looking to set up a 2nd 17S for some longer range fun.  Range/targets goes out to 735yds max.   What type of accuracy are you guys getting?  Optics?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy something else.  Been there...done that.  You'll be disappointed.  The SCAR is IMHO the best "battle rifle" out there, but I chuckle when someone puts 2' of scope atop it and tries to make it something its not.  Even with the G trigger, the SCAR will never have a "great" trigger pull.  The barrel will have POI shift after it warms up.  The 1/12 twist barrel will not shoot anything over 168gr well.  Your optic height over bore will be much higher than other options. Just buy an LMT MWS or other large frame AR if you want more reasonable accuracy and a better shooting experience.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#2]
It’ll work, even better than most, but it’s far from ideal. The SCAR 17 is, to me, the best overall battle rifle in the world. Part of that is being able to reach out if need be and hit targets effectively at distance. But if I were to be setting out from the start to make a semi-auto mid-caliber primarily meant to shoot at distance, I’d go with something more like a LT OBR or KAC SR-25 PR.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]
looks like this thing my have to go to Equipment Exchange.  :-(
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Try it and see how it does. I did and mine went to the EE where I traded for an MWS. Now I have 16” and 20” .308 barrels, a 6.5 CM barrel, and a sweet package. Far better suited for what you’re looking to do.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:40:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Try it and see how it does. I did and mine went to the EE where I traded for an MWS. Now I have 16” and 20” .308 barrels, a 6.5 CM barrel, and a sweet package. Far better suited for what you’re looking to do.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/A6EAAB6B-3F3A-4614-AD5A-E57B18EE8ADD-534410.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/A6EAAB6B-3F3A-4614-AD5A-E57B18EE8ADD-534410.JPG
I second this. Try it before you drop it. Most don’t give the SCAR enough credit in terms of precision. They shoot better than a battle rifle has any business shooting. I mostly shoot lighter ammo through it, but even given the twist most will tell you the heavy stuff still stabilizes fine.

I would wonder how it shoots with a hot barrel though, it is cut more for weight than for heat. Also the large reciprocating mass probably doesn’t do any favors for precision, which can probably be mitigated somewhat through practice.

I know I don’t shoot mine nearly enough and I can still handle about 1.5 MOA with premium hunting ammo and a TA-11. I suspect it would do better with a precision optic and FGMM, though I’ve never attempted such.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:48:55 AM EDT
[#6]
BTDT. Go with a MWS or SR25.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I  came from a large frame AR, spent a lot of money. Now only have the SCAR. Only shoot 168? So, 168s are great. I think the geissele is pretty great trigger. Is it a jewel? No, and I'm not shooting a remington 700 bolt action either. I had a geissele national match in my large frame AR, the trigger isn't the limiting factor. POI shift after barrel heats up? Like every other rifle, oh okay.

This is what I had.

I sold that for the scar because it just didn't tickle my fancy as anything special, and after building it over time, I was able to part it out and use the lump some to get into a SCAR.

The scar is lighter but more pleasurable for long shooting sessions. The AR I built was a heavy pig (I wanted it to be) yet it was surprisingly violent. And I had an adjustable gas block tuned to my handloads. Just no comparison vs the scar

my scar just has the super scar trigger and I have a 2.5x10 NF instead of the ATAC-R. 25x was just too much for me and they didn't have the 16x at the time.

A 15x or 16x would be what imho would be the sweet spot for a longer range setup on the SCAR. I love NF so that is what I would recommend.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I  came from a large frame AR, spent a lot of money. Now only have the SCAR. Only shoot 168? So, 168s are great. I think the geissele is pretty great trigger. Is it a jewel? No, and I'm not shooting a remington 700 bolt action either. I had a geissele national match in my large frame AR, the trigger isn't the limiting factor. POI shift after barrel heats up? Like every other rifle, oh okay.

This is what I had.
https://imgur.com/IeyNAts.jpg

I sold that for the scar because it just didn't tickle my fancy as anything special, and after building it over time, I was able to part it out and use the lump some to get into a SCAR.

The scar is lighter but more pleasurable for long shooting sessions. The AR I built was a heavy pig (I wanted it to be) yet it was surprisingly violent. And I had an adjustable gas block tuned to my handloads. Just no comparison vs the scar

my scar just has the super scar trigger and I have a 2.5x10 NF instead of the ATAC-R. 25x was just too much for me and they didn't have the 16x at the time.

A 15x or 16x would be what imho would be the sweet spot for a longer range setup on the SCAR. I love NF so that is what I would recommend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is what I had.

Quoted:

This is what I had.

Just “wanting something different” is a personal preference. Most people want to actually shoot. 168’s have a poor BC and there are much better options.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just “wanting something different” is a personal preference. Most people want to actually shoot. 168’s have a poor BC and there are much better options.
View Quote
Inside 735 yards its not an issue. Beyond 800 sure, but at that point there are also better calibers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Inside 735 yards its not an issue. Beyond 800 sure, but at that point there are also better calibers.
View Quote
OP is free to do as he wishes.  Sounds like he has two SCAR-17's.  If he wants to set up a rifle in the DMR role, there are more practical options that's all.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I already have a 17S set up for CQB, but now Im looking to set up a 2nd 17S for some longer range fun.  Range/targets goes out to 735yds max.   What type of accuracy are you guys getting?  Optics?
View Quote
OP, if you want to go out to 735 yards, why not get a 6.5CM barrel and do a 6.5CM conversion on the 17s? These guys will get you a barrel and cerakote it and move the 17s gas block and barrel extension over for $380. The 6.5CM would eat up 735 yards all day long.

http://deadshotbarrels.com
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I used mine with a Leupold Mark 4 3.5x10 to shoot an F-class match for fun, just to see what it could do.

At 500 meters using federal Gold Medal match 175 gr ammo, I was able to keep all the rounds from each string (I I think it was 5) in about an 8” group. Pretty impressive for what it is (a lightweight battle rifle).

That being said, a LaRue .260/ 6.5 creedmoor or similar setup will shoot circles around the SCAR. 6.5 creedmoor Might be seen by some as a fad or a flavor of the month, but the advantages over 7.62x51 are very real.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Have a precision rig for long-range competitions
308 for use on Military run NRA events - .mil calibers only, no boutique calibers

couple weeks ago, blasting w/ buddies 200 to 300ish, everyone had precision rigs
I lased the targets, and Mr Scar17 / 1-8 ATACR / 168 FGMM clone kept up with the special purpose guns

I am impressed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top