Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2021 7:28:05 PM EDT
Well,ive decided to give 9mm a try in reloading.im just a little freaked out about double charging a case.ive loaded thousands of rifle cases on my dillon 550,but never pistol cases.ive loaded thousands of .38-357 1 at a time on my single stage press.In that process,i usually load the powder first and visually inspect all 100 cases prior to the next step,so i can be damn sure im not double charging anything.So,do you guys feel confident that the dillon powder measure is accurate at these small amounts required for pistol?Or should i just do it like my 357 loads?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well,ive decided to give 9mm a try in reloading.im just a little freaked out about double charging a case.ive loaded thousands of rifle cases on my dillon 550,but never pistol cases.ive loaded thousands of .38-357 1 at a time on my single stage press.In that process,i usually load the powder first and visually inspect all 100 cases prior to the next step,so i can be damn sure im not double charging anything.So,do you guys feel confident that the dillon powder measure is accurate at these small amounts required for pistol?Or should i just do it like my 357 loads?
View Quote

Mine is dead on with WST / Titegroup / 3N37 / HS-6 / 540 / AA-7 / AA-5 / WSF
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thank you,good to know.i have blue dot,tite group,lilgun,bullseye,unique,700-800x,231,hp110 and hp38..which would you recommend?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

thank you,good to know.i have Blue Dot, Titegroup, Lilgun, Bullseye, Unique, 700-800X,  231, H110 and HP-38..which would you recommend?
View Quote

DILLON will do greens with ease,, red is not a smooth go,, black is not anything I have used

In general, 231/HP-38 is essentially same powder,, Titegroup, & maybe Bullseye for general purpose loading,, NO "+P" kinda action,,, any of these should serve,, biased here Titegroup in my 9mm ventures (147's & 124's) for a long time now
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
When I load on the progressive, I have a light shining down on the charged case and I look at every charged before I place a bullet on.

When I set up the powder measure, I throw about 10 charges and weigh them. When I'm confident with the setting, I will load about 10 rounds and check it again.

After that I will start cranking them out and maybe check after 100 rounds to make sure it hasn't changed. Sometimes it takes quite a few throws for the powder to settle in.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Every time I double powder one I get powder all over the floor. Case won't hold a double and let you get a bullet in it. It will let you load hot though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve loaded 1,000’s of 9mm on my 550C using HP38, CFE Pistol, and Power Pistol with no issues. I check the charge about every 25 or so and keep yanking the handle.

tball
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
WST, WSF and do yourself an easy favor. Buy an endoscope kit with  a 3x5 or larger screen to check the powder charges on your 550. Easy on the eyes and increases safety for less than $50 delivered. I use one of these kits on my 1050.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]
use a powder that takes 50% or more of the case volume.  If you double charge you'll notice it when seating a bullet.
Only problem with 550B I've had is with the older style powder measure, the screw that holds the plate that holds the white square nut worked loose which means the nut fell out of it's slot, dropping 0 powder.  

Every time I fill the primers on the thing I check the screw for tightness
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Dillon's powder measure is fine until you start getting down to really small charges with really large powders.  i.e. for 2.5-3gr of Promo for .380, I sprung for an XS powder bar, and that seemed to help.

For 9mm, if you're really worried, try to find a bulky powder that can't be double charged.  i.e. A double charge of Universal with <=124gr bullets is likely to overflow the case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top