Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2022 1:58:23 AM EDT
Hello I’m looking to get a Leupold scope for a bolt action that I plan to build once aero releases their bolt line. I’m wondering what scope would you guys recommend?  
I went on leupold’s website and they have unlimited options, If you guys could please help me chose I would appreciate that. My budget is $500, it won’t be used for farther than 200-300 yards max,
308 caliber.  Thanks for you help I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I would recommend one of these 2 Leupold's.

I have 1 of each..... The glass is Fantastic, the side focus is amazing, & a free custom dial tailored to your favorite most accurate load. Options galore at a Great Price!!!

https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-4-12x40-cds-side-focus-tri-moa-riflescope

https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-6-18x40-cds-side-focus-tri-moa-riflescope

Hope this will help some.

Good Luck & Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#2]
For 300 yards max I'd be looking at one of the 1-4.5 or 5x variables
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 8:55:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dana] [#3]
What are you doing with the rifle? Hunting or punching paper? If hunting are you shooting hogs at 50 yards or gophers at 300 yds?

I am not a scope expert but here is my 2 cents. If shooting paper you won't ever need the low power. Get a 4-12 or more. If hunting bigger game closer you will need the lower power. Get 4-12 or less. Maybe even just a good old 3-9.

I have a VX5HD 2-10x44 firedot with CDS. Absolutely love it. Have it on a Grendel hunting rifle. 2x fire dot is great for the woods of East coast. 10X with CDS will work out west at longer range. It is an amazingly versatile magnification range. But if I was punching paper I would go up on magnification. That scope is over your price range I know.

I just got a VX Freedom 3-9X40, 30mm tube, fire dot, mil reticle and mil turret. It is a discontinued product. I got it used but in mint condition for $325. It would probably be perfect for you.

VX Freedom vs VX5HD. Imagequality is comparable enough, light gathering acceptably close. VX5HD is better in both but VX Freedom works fine. FOV, eye box, head positioning and all that stuff is amazingly night and day! The VX5HD the image is huge, bright and just pops up inferno of you head. The VX Freedom is much more like looking through a tube. This won't matter much at the range or plinking. But using it in the field it would be a huge difference.

That being said. I like 30mm tube and illumination which runs the price way up. You don't need these. Skip the illumination. Get the 30mm tube only if you can afford it. Look at the VX3 or VX3HD. Get one with side focus (if higher than 10x) and a good reticle if doing any longer range work. They should be at the top of your price range but still in your budget.

Mark VX3HD 4-12x40 p5 side focus, tmr reticle, mil dial might be good if you can work with that magnification.

If you are just deer hunting on the east coast or something don't over think it. Just get a good old 1" 3-9. Freedom might be just fine. You could go lower power, a lot of people love the 2.5-8 for trim small scope. Or a little hight magnification. But Freedom or VX3 are fine.

Ps I have not looked at one of these scopes myself. But it would be on my short list for a budget 308 build if I didn't need illumination and could work with 4x on the bottom.

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I would bump up to the VX-3HD line.  If you shop around you can typically find them for not much more than the regular VX Freedom price.  I like the Zero Lock on the CDS, power ring throw lever, and the glass is great based on my two examples.

Here's what you do.  Go to the Leupold VX-3HD product page here VX-3HD and find the part number of the configuration you want.  For example, 3.5-10×40 CDS-ZL is #180617.  Then go to gun.deals and search for that number.  Then you can see where to buy this $500 scope for $376.  For example: Dack.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SnprPSG1:
I would recommend one of these 2 Leupold's.

I have 1 of each..... The glass is Fantastic, the side focus is amazing, & a free custom dial tailored to your favorite most accurate load. Options galore at a Great Price!!!

https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-4-12x40-cds-side-focus-tri-moa-riflescope

https://www.leupold.com/vx-freedom-6-18x40-cds-side-focus-tri-moa-riflescope

Hope this will help some.

Good Luck & Merry Christmas!
View Quote

I appreciate you responding
between those 2 which one you recommend for paper shooting not hunting.
merry Christmas to you too!
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dana:
What are you doing with the rifle? Hunting or punching paper? If hunting are you shooting hogs at 50 yards or gophers at 300 yds?

I am not a scope expert but here is my 2 cents. If shooting paper you won't ever need the low power. Get a 4-12 or more. If hunting bigger game closer you will need the lower power. Get 4-12 or less. Maybe even just a good old 3-9.

I have a VX5HD 2-10x44 firedot with CDS. Absolutely love it. Have it on a Grendel hunting rifle. 2x fire dot is great for the woods of East coast. 10X with CDS will work out west at longer range. It is an amazingly versatile magnification range. But if I was punching paper I would go up on magnification. That scope is over your price range I know.

I just got a VX Freedom 3-9X40, 30mm tube, fire dot, mil reticle and mil turret. It is a discontinued product. I got it used but in mint condition for $325. It would probably be perfect for you.

VX Freedom vs VX5HD. Imagequality is comparable enough, light gathering acceptably close. VX5HD is better in both but VX Freedom works fine. FOV, eye box, head positioning and all that stuff is amazingly night and day! The VX5HD the image is huge, bright and just pops up inferno of you head. The VX Freedom is much more like looking through a tube. This won't matter much at the range or plinking. But using it in the field it would be a huge difference.

That being said. I like 30mm tube and illumination which runs the price way up. You don't need these. Skip the illumination. Get the 30mm tube only if you can afford it. Look at the VX3 or VX3HD. Get one with side focus (if higher than 10x) and a good reticle if doing any longer range work. They should be at the top of your price range but still in your budget.

Mark VX3HD 4-12x40 p5 side focus, tmr reticle, mil dial might be good if you can work with that magnification.

If you are just deer hunting on the east coast or something don't over think it. Just get a good old 1" 3-9. Freedom might be just fine. You could go lower power, a lot of people love the 2.5-8 for trim small scope. Or a little hight magnification. But Freedom or VX3 are fine.

Ps I have not looked at one of these scopes myself. But it would be on my short list for a budget 308 build if I didn't need illumination and could work with 4x on the bottom.

View Quote

thank you so much for the detailed explaining. Honestly Maybe $500 is not enough for good scope then right? ill never be hunting with it just punching paper.
where I live there is no more than 500 yards anyway and thats like 2 hours away.
so in your experience for 300 yards (paper targets) you think 3-9. Freedom would do just fine? or what would you recommend? if I wanna bump it little more than $500
buy once cry once lol
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 5:33:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Freedom_Lover:
I would bump up to the VX-3HD line.  If you shop around you can typically find them for not much more than the regular VX Freedom price.  I like the Zero Lock on the CDS, power ring throw lever, and the glass is great based on my two examples.

Here's what you do.  Go to the Leupold VX-3HD product page here VX-3HD and find the part number of the configuration you want.  For example, 3.5-10×40 CDS-ZL is #180617.  Then go to gun.deals and search for that number.  Then you can see where to buy this $500 scope for $376.  For example: Dack.
View Quote

Appreciate the help brother. damn didn't know that gun deals can find part number as well! good to know brother
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 5:47:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mike_nds] [#8]
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mopar1992:

thank you so much for the detailed explaining. Honestly Maybe $500 is not enough for good scope then right? ill never be hunting with it just punching paper.
where I live there is no more than 500 yards anyway and thats like 2 hours away.
so in your experience for 300 yards (paper targets) you think 3-9. Freedom would do just fine? or what would you recommend? if I wanna bump it little more than $500
buy once cry once lol
View Quote

That is a good question. I actually just got the VX Freedom and have not used it yet. I think it is always good to have a bigger budget and buy better quality. But also don't hurt your budget buying more than you need.

I think for punching paper to 300 the VX Freedom would be a good start. Maybe a little higher magnification than my 3-9. If you can get. Really good deal on it. Nothing wrong with buying a quality scopebut entry level. Trying it for a while and learning what you need and like. If it doesn't fit your needs you can sell it and step up.

If you pay full retail you will loose some money. But find a good deal on the EE from a good seller and you should do OK with very minimal losses.

Foe example I have a older Weaver 4-14 GrandSlam, made in Japan, adjustable objective. Great scope but not tactical, 1" tube, plain reticle, covered caps. If I sold it I probably would be lucky to get $250 for it. Scope like that would be hard for you to flip when you move on from it. But it as a great clear scope that would get you out on the range. If I were you I would get something with a better reticle or adjustable knows. But it is just a example of a "quality" scope that can be found cheap. Just don't buy anything cheap.

I didn't start out with a VX5HD. I started with cheap $99 scopes. That is how I learned what I like and need in a scope.  Don't sell yourself shorthand buy something crappy. But nothing wrong getting something "good" like a older Vortex Viper or something that is ee selling used for cheap. I actually don't know much about the Vortex brand because I don't like how heavy they are for my needs. So I dont know the exact model. But I think I have seen 2-10 Vortex cheap. Things like that.

Sorry I know I kind of rambled on and contradict myself several times.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I have VX Freedom 3x9x40 scopes on both my Ruger American 350 Legend and 308 .Great scopes for the money. Most of my shooting is 200 yds. or less.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Freedom_Lover:

View Quote

Good idea! Thanks for mentioning this. I’m in the market for a new Leupold or Swarovski myself and I’m a little battle weary looking through sites at prices.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve looked through a few scopes in the Freedom line and they didn’t wow me. I believe they’re inferior to the now discontinued VX-2.

I’d step up to the VX-3 HD if image quality is in the mix at all.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:56:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FluffyTheCat] [#13]
In the $400 to $500 class, the best scope around is the Meopta 2-10x42 Optika 5 PA

This scope features German Schott glass and is made in the Czech Republic. It is simply amazing. I have several Meopta scopes and at six power you can see .30 caliber bullet holes at 100 yards. Resolution is razor sharp.

Watch this video

MEOPTA Meopro 6x42 Rifle Scope Review

These scopes are extremely bright and optically they compare to Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss and the rest of the expensive Euroscopes.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/meopta-optika5-2-10x42-pa-z-plus-1032565/e7750a30-cdd5-0138-a7ac-00163ecd2826?variation=2779754
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 4:34:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#14]
You've probably made your choice.  If still looking:

For shots at 200 yards or so and in, a classic 2-7x scope is ideal.  Keep it simple, slim, light weight and a simple heavy duplex or German #4 type (three post) reticle.  Leupold's Freedom version is fine.  If you can step up to the VX3HD you will get better glass for improved low light performance.  The 2.5-8x36 at $500 (shop for best street price) would be excellent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top