Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2018 12:27:22 PM EDT
Ever since the tailhook pistol brace has become popular I have been seeing people modify existing stock assemblies on firearms that do not have tailhooks made for them by cutting off the rear stock portion and attaching a tailhook, I also see some companies make adapters for tailhook without selling the actual tailhook. Is this perfectly fine to do as long as you are not altering the actual tailhook, I was always under the impression that pistol braces were something that are designed as a unit and then approved by the atf in a specific configuration.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I am not a lawyer but I agree that you have to be very careful on knowing where exactly the line is with regards to "pistol braces". I have read opinions that even something like removing the factory velcro strap could be considered a "modification" that voids the approval letter and turns your set up into an SBR.

Again, I am not an expert and I am not telling anybody what to do or what not to do.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Nobody knows.

About as simple as it gets.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm going with the opinion that as long as it functions as it was intended(whether or not it is) then I don't see the ATF pursuing it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nobody knows.

About as simple as it gets.

Doc
View Quote
Truth!  Technology is so far ahead of the 30’s and 60’s gun laws it’s not funny. As soon as the ATF scratches their ear, ten more itches occur. If Congress had a lick of sense they would repeal all the gun laws.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#5]
My opinion, if you start with a std. M4 stock and cut the butt off and attach a Tailhook, you have a stock with a brace on it. Which means you still have a stock on a firearm. Which the ATF says is an SBR.

I don't see how attaching a brace to a stock legally makes it a brace.

When I did my first pistol I thought about a Thordsen type setup and was going to cut an m4 stock with a CAA saddle down to just enough to support the saddle and disable the adjustment lever.

But while it's functionally the same as a Thordsen, cutting off part of a stock does not legally change it to something else.

At last count I have eight pistols with Shockwave or SB braces. So I love where all this is going, and I respect anyone who is willing to put a toe over the line to push the boundary. I just can't afford for that toe to be mine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Can someone post an example of what exactly is being talked about?
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Send ATF a letter...
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 2:20:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My opinion, if you start with a std. M4 stock and cut the butt off and attach a Tailhook, you have a stock with a brace on it. Which means you still have a stock on a firearm. Which the ATF says is an SBR.

I don't see how attaching a brace to a stock legally makes it a brace.

When I did my first pistol I thought about a Thordsen type setup and was going to cut an m4 stock with a CAA saddle down to just enough to support the saddle and disable the adjustment lever.

But while it's functionally the same as a Thordsen, cutting off part of a stock does not legally change it to something else.

At last count I have eight pistols with Shockwave or SB braces. So I love where all this is going, and I respect anyone who is willing to put a toe over the line to push the boundary. I just can't afford for that toe to be mine.
View Quote
By this logic, wouldn't cutting down a wood stock to just a pistol grip or a mares leg also be suspect? This is where it gets confusing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can someone post an example of what exactly is being talked about?
View Quote
Cuz searching the web is so hard: Tailhook Brace
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Cuz searching the web is so hard: Tailhook Brace
View Quote
I know what a Tailhook brace is,
I wanted to see an example of the modifications to stock assemblies people are debating the legality of.

Really ? I will remove the added colorful unwanted comment for you. Please refrain from using anything like that again. Consider this your verbal warning , Thank You

One of your friendly Mods. bfoosh006
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I know what a Talihook brace is,
I wanted to see an example of the modifications to stock assemblies people are debating the legality of.
View Quote
This is in the CZ thread in pistol caliber forum a few down.

Seems way too iffy for me, but who knows.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is in the CZ thread in pistol caliber forum a few down.
https://i.imgur.com/ylZsSUo.png

Seems way too iffy for me, but who knows.
View Quote
Yeah haha... I dont think I'd want to be tempting fate like that, personally.
No way is that worth it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#13]
That particular one does seem questionable.  They appear to just cut off the last "U-turn" bit of the factory brace and clamp that on.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#14]
What would Thomas Jefferson do?

The real shame is in todays world all our founders would be in federal prison and ABC, NBC and the MSN would all be plastering their photos all over the news calling them terrorists. Enemies of the (deep) state.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#15]
An example of this is someone getting an mp5 collapsable stock and cutting off the entire shoulder pad portion and attaching the tailhook portion so that you have a tailhook that can collapse. You didnt modify the actual pistol brace and the part left over from the stock isnt the actual stock it just the mechanism that hold it in place, sort of like how the buffer tube on an ar isnt the stock and sb tactical just made a brace that fit on a mil-spec buffer tube. Aside from people modifying things at home there are companies making adapters for a variety of firearms that will fit the tailhook, while the adapter itself is basically a part of a stock, an example is safety harbor firearms.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
An example of this is someone getting an mp5 collapsable stock and cutting off the entire shoulder pad portion and attaching the tailhook portion so that you have a tailhook that can collapse. You didnt modify the actual pistol brace and the part left over from the stock isnt the actual stock it just the mechanism that hold it in place, sort of like how the buffer tube on an ar isnt the stock and sb tactical just made a brace that fit on a mil-spec buffer tube. Aside from people modifying things at home there are companies making adapters for a variety of firearms that will fit the tailhook, while the adapter itself is basically a part of a stock, an example is safety harbor firearms.
View Quote
Techsmith does as well for the B&T line of guns, MP5 clones and others.............even the Kriss. IIRC, there was also a pic from Shot Show where some company had a Tailhook like brace that collapsed like the PDW stocks for AR pistols. I'd assume it was legal as well

I'd imagine they are as legal as this will be when it comes out:

Micro Scorpion
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top